Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: pledge in school

Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: pledge in school

Quote Originally Posted by Vaines
    The way you say it, "able to be here", it's as if you think there's no better place in the world to be than the US
    I didn't mean it like that, although I'd like to thank you for bringing to my attention. I have a real awful way of explaining my point of reason sometime, and come across looking bad.

To pledge allegiance to a country that isn't yours, and to state that you trust in God while you don't, is simply put, a LIE. Therefore it is my opinion that to legally oblige this is wrong.
    I can see your point here, but I still think that everyone should still show respect, even if it not "their" country, since the fact is they are living here.

And I am thinking about all students, not only the non-american ones.
    Well, if you were thinking of all students, then the: "To pledge allegiance to a country that isn't yours," doesn't really come in to play, now does it?

Otaku Vaines may be famous one day Vaines may be famous one day Vaines's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverskater145

Well, if you were thinking of all students, then the: "To pledge allegiance to a country that isn't yours," doesn't really come in to play, now does it?
    No, that part I meant it for the non american and/or non-christian ones => My point of view also can sometimes be misunderstood

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverskater145
    Quite frankly, you were wrong for doing it. I find it funny how you don't have any respect for this country, and yet you live in it, and use up it's money and resources. You should show respect, for the mere fact that you're able to be here.
    It's also about respecting your parents wishes.

If you can be excused by a note from your parents and they haven't given you one then to not say the pledge shows disrespect for them as well. Unless you haven't asked for one. In which case you don't have a leg to stand on complaint wise. There are rules, regulations, and ways provided to object. If you don't follow the guidlines given don't complain when you have to bear the consquences.

And that holds for everyone, not just "non american"s.

And yes, silverskater is right about living in another country being a privilage. Living in any country you are not a citizen of is a privilage. They do not have to let you live there, the least you can do is show respect for the country while you are there, no matter what country it is.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie Koketsu may be famous one day Koketsu may be famous one day Koketsu's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Weebl
    Today I am in time out(hahaha) all day!)for not standing for the pledge of aligence. In our county it is law that you can't sit during the pledge. You can only not say the pledge if you get a signed note from your parents. I did not stand because i don't believe in god and I'm not american.
    So do you think this is right?
    They say we stand out of respect what if we don't have any for this country?
    Do you think there is a lack of democracy in america's schools? Do you think there should be?
    Please answer and be as truthful as possible!
    lol i don't have a pledge here in Canada what we have to do is stand for O Canada lol

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

What does non-christian have to do with saying the pledge? Unless you don't beleive in God, having god in the pledge is not an affermation of religion, nor is it an affermation of a beleif in God. I can assure you, Jews beleive in God. Muslims beleive in God as well.

The pledge does not say 'one nation, under Jesus'. Nor does it say 'one nation under Allah. It simply states God. There have been arguments over the nature of God for thousands of years, yet all the religions I mentioned do indeed beleive in God.

As for Weebl not saying the pledge? It's his choice and his right as a visitor to this country. I can understand not wanting to say a pledge to a country you do not belong to or have an intention of becomming a citizen of. But as othes have said, there is a certain amount of repsect you should show your host country. One of those is following the criteria that they have outlined for not saying the pledge. If you dont' want to say the pledge you have a way out. It's not the schools fault that you are not willing to do your part in seeing that you don't have to take the pledge. Your not participating in civil disobediance Your not being forced to do it. You have a way out. Instead of whining about it why don't you just get a note from your parents and we can all move along with our lives.

Otaku Weebl may be famous one day Weebl may be famous one day Weebl's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barronmore
    What does non-christian have to do with saying the pledge? Unless you don't beleive in God, having god in the pledge is not an affermation of religion, nor is it an affermation of a beleif in God. I can assure you, Jews beleive in God. Muslims beleive in God as well.

The pledge does not say 'one nation, under Jesus'. Nor does it say 'one nation under Allah. It simply states God. There have been arguments over the nature of God for thousands of years, yet all the religions I mentioned do indeed beleive in God.

As for Weebl not saying the pledge? It's his choice and his right as a visitor to this country. I can understand not wanting to say a pledge to a country you do not belong to or have an intention of becomming a citizen of. But as othes have said, there is a certain amount of repsect you should show your host country. One of those is following the criteria that they have outlined for not saying the pledge. If you dont' want to say the pledge you have a way out. It's not the schools fault that you are not willing to do your part in seeing that you don't have to take the pledge. Your not participating in civil disobediance Your not being forced to do it. You have a way out. Instead of whining about it why don't you just get a note from your parents and we can all move along with our lives.
    Thank you, and I don't believe in god at all..but I am jewish but I don't believe I'm just of that heritage. And Even if we get a note we still have to stand.
    Now announceing........*drum roll*
    Mr.Aiora..

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Weebl
    Thank you, and I don't believe in god at all..but I am jewish but I don't believe I'm just of that heritage. And Even if we get a note we still have to stand.
    So stand, show some respect, just get a note and don't pledge. (Perfectly reasonable. When I lived in Canada I sang their antional anthem all the time, I probably wouldn't have pledged though. Stood yes, pledged no.)

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

Standing shows respect for your host country. There's nothing wrong with that...unless you dont' respect the United States or the principles it's founded on.

We stand for other flags all the time. Look at the Olympics. It's customary to stand for the gold metalists anthem and flag raising. It shows respect to the athlete and the country he is from.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast