Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: pledge in school

Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: pledge in school

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    So stand, show some respect, just get a note and don't pledge.
    You know what it is? Laziness. Let's be honest, does anyone today really have a problem with the pledge? No, kids aren't thinking "Well I'm not christian..." or "Gee, I'm not really American, I don't think I should do this..." It's all laziness. Kids just don't feel like standing up and giving 2 minutes of their time. It's not that big of a deal. Stand up and pledge, it won't kill you.

Lazy Ninja Puyo Champion Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan's Avatar
    Thanks

In my school, there are tons who sit down during the pledge. They give us a choice. I love America, and I am very grateful that they let us live here, but I'm sorry, my alliegence is to my native country's flag.

I sit down during the pledge, but stand up when they play the national anthem, because I know Americans would stand through any other country's national anthem. But hey, would you stand through another country's "pledge" (even though most don't have one)? Would you pledge alliegence to another country's flag, Americans, if you were living in that country, but your heart is in America?
    関西は最高やねん

The Antagonist Eriadd may be famous one day Eriadd may be famous one day
    Thanks

Huhm, this is a tricky topic for me to dance around. Lemme first start with this: I don't stand for the pledge of allegiance.

Why? Here's where it gets weird. The way I see it, it's a Pledge of Allegiance to the U.S. Don't you usually have to only pledge one thing just once? What's the point of pledging your allegiance at least once a week? Hey, if my country doesn't trust me enough to have my pledge my allegiance once and that's all, then my country can kiss my arse.

I respect America, but I show my respect in other ways. I don't burn flags, I hang my flag outside during holidays, I don't complain when banks close for our national holidays, I obediently pay my taxes, I vote and I write my state representatives to let them know what I think about what they are doing.

So, I don't choose to stand for the Pledge. Whaah.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eriadd
    Huhm, this is a tricky topic for me to dance around. Lemme first start with this: I don't stand for the pledge of allegiance.

Why? Here's where it gets weird. The way I see it, it's a Pledge of Allegiance to the U.S. Don't you usually have to only pledge one thing just once? What's the point of pledging your allegiance at least once a week?
    Its a symbolic pledge. Your restating that you Pledge your Allegiance to the US.

The Antagonist Eriadd may be famous one day Eriadd may be famous one day
    Thanks

Feh, I still say it's overly repetetive. I don't need to restate my pledge to my country - symbolic or no - more than once, thanks.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sei-chan
    But hey, would you stand through another country's "pledge" (even though most don't have one)? Would you pledge alliegence to another country's flag, Americans, if you were living in that country, but your heart is in America?
    Well, yes. I would stand. It's just like standing for the anthem. It's a matter of respect. No one ever asked me to pledge though. And I wouldn't have. I'm not a citizen of Canada.
    Last edited by Arrianna; Nov 03, 2005 at 02:44 PM.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

Originally Posted by Sei-chan
    But hey, would you stand through another country's "pledge" (even though most don't have one)? Would you pledge alliegence to another country's flag, Americans, if you were living in that country, but your heart is in America?
    Yes, I would stand if I respected the country and that's what they asked of me. I would have no problem with it. I would not pledge, as I am a U.S. Citizen and my loyalty is here. But I would expect that any country I was visiting where I would be in a situation where I was there for the pledge would itleast be an ally country or one where I wished to be.

Like I said, it's a matter of respect. If you don't wish to stand, your free not to. But don't be suprized if there are those that don't respect you for that decission.

Eriadd;

Do you stand when the flag is presented or when you hear the national anthem? These are also signs of respect. If the flag is present when you pledge you should stand, just like you should when it is presented or the anthem is sung.

As for giving the pledge more then once....it's a symbolic renewal of your pledge. You are reaffirming your pledge to the country. As in all things, this is best learned when young by repetition. That is why you say it weekly. When you get old and bald like me you won't be saying the pledge every week.

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

Well i do sometimes stand up for the pledge only if i feel like doing it, some of my friends don't even bother to stand up because they say that this is not their country and blah blah and it makes sense , if an american is in another country i don't think that this person would bother to stand up for the pledge of that country . But for some parts i think that all of us should at least respect the pledge of this country.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast