Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Post-WWII Art

Newbie Brother may be famous one day Brother may be famous one day Brother's Avatar
    Thanks

Post-WWII Art

I've been researching on how WWII has effected art after the war, but all I could find was Pablo Picasso. Does anybody know anything about this or have any opinions on their work? Thanks.

In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks
    So, you don't want any art from when the war was still going on?

Sib
    Otaku Sib may be famous one day Sib may be famous one day Sib's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well, i'd like to help, but isn't what you're asking for abit vauge? Since the war there has been all kinds of art, with huge leaps in Surrealism, Dadaism, Post Moderism, Abstract Expressionism, Pop Art and more. It's not to hard to find out about it...

Or do you mean the years immediatly following the war? If so, that's a little harder. ^^;

Hmmm... He's not technically human, so it wouldn't really be like cannibalism...
    .:Anime Relfections:.l.:SibArt (Being Updated):.

Newbie Brother may be famous one day Brother may be famous one day Brother's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sib
    Well, i'd like to help, but isn't what you're asking for abit vauge? Since the war there has been all kinds of art, with huge leaps in Surrealism, Dadaism, Post Moderism, Abstract Expressionism, Pop Art and more. It's not to hard to find out about it...

Or do you mean the years immediatly following the war? If so, that's a little harder. ^^;
    Actually, I was wondering more about Popular Art after the war by artist from that time period. An example would be Guernica by Pablo Picasso. That piece of art struck my interest, and now I am trying to find more art by other artists.

Fangirl Missing in Action Hikari Sakurai may be famous one day Hikari Sakurai may be famous one day Hikari Sakurai's Avatar
    Thanks
    Goodness...... *pulls out notes* I studied Art History for 4 years (2 in highschool, another 2 in Artschool)

Are you after a work of an artist from that time period who made a work relating, or being influenced by the war? Or are you just after particular artist who worked through the war and afterwards?

Anyway, the two movements and their artists I think are most connected to the World Wars are......

WW1:
    Dadaism: 1914-1917 (an art movement influenced entirely by WW1)
    Marcel Duchamp
    Man Ray
    Kurt Schwitters

WW2:
    Abstract Expressionism: 1940?-1950's
    William De Kooning
    Jackson Pollack
    Franz Kline
    Mark Rothko

Hope that helped

Leader of the Fangirl Conspiracy

Because teasing boys is so much fun.

[ Minitokyo| Doki Doki | My AO Gallery | Request a Siggy ]
    "Bisshies make Hikari happy"

Otaku Rodion may be famous one day Rodion may be famous one day Rodion's Avatar
    Thanks
    If I'm not mistaken, Picasso's Guernica was the painting that depicted images of misshappen people and animals. It was as if they were distorted by fear and anguish and the entire painting was a bit drab or monochromatic (brown or brick red I think, was the dominant color). I saw a photo of that painting years ago when I was teaching Humanities, and presented it to my class. I think Picasso painted this in response to a military attack made by Germans on a Spanish town, and it was a bit strange of Picasso to do this because I think he was known as someone who was not really concerned about politics, and Guernica was one example of a rare "politically motivated" painting that he made.

So maybe, in a way, WW2 left an impression to even the most aloof of artists during the period. Perhaps it even helped influence the development of Cubism, who knows. The Dada movement transformed into Surrealism after WW2, but I am not certain if this metamorphosis is a direct effect of the war itself. Ugh, I'm babbling again...

-RODION
    "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all."
    - Hypatia of Alexandria

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Guernica

Chiefly light and dark tones, huge painting...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikari Sakurai

WW1:
    Dadaism: 1914-1917 (an art movement influenced entirely by WW1)
    Marcel Duchamp
    Man Ray
    Kurt Schwitters

WW2:
    Abstract Expressionism: 1940?-1950's
    William De Kooning
    Jackson Pollack
    Franz Kline
    Mark Rothko

Hope that helped
    Actually, that did. Thanks a lot.

BTW, Guernica was a huge painting that Pablo Picasso made to express his feelings after Germany was allowed by Franco (Dictator of Spain) to bomb the town of Guernica. Art analysis varies from person to person, but the only thing that matters is what you make of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast