Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The practice of Tipping

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

The practice of Tipping

So yes, I was reading the magazine that Costco give to its business costumers (yeah I am bored), and I happen to cross this debate topic. I don't know whether it's worthy yet, so i'll put it here in the Plush room.

The idea of tipping, in restuarants and such, what is your opinion on this topic??
    Do you think it should be required?? Do you think that it has gotten out of hand where consumers are obligated to pay??

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Siiigh....

This topic explodes in the paper here once a year.

It's a gratuity. That means it's supposed to be A) optional and B) something that is a reflection of your gratitude for their service.

The biggest problem isn't tipping but the lower minumum wage for servers. The employers pay them crap and then expect the customer to cover the rest. If you don't your accused of being cheap. In spite of that, I personally tip as a reflection of the service. It doesn't always make me friends.

Thing is, I undrestand that in countries where servers get a decent wage they don't have this problem. So yes, it's a problem that has gotten out of hand.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

jao
    Otaku jao may be famous one day jao may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I work in a hotel as a bellhop. I don't get tipped often here in Nova Scotia though I always give kind, quick and overall good service. My employer pays me believing that people actually tip. If i'm lucky, I'll draw $50 in a week.

I tip whenever I'm being served unless it is poor service. Employers take advantage of tips, and I know they're not making huge wages and that it is the /tips/ that make up their salaries.

Newbie staticbob may be famous one day staticbob may be famous one day staticbob's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'd have to agree with Arrianna and jao on both ends. Though I've never worked a job where tips where involved I have a few good friends that play that game. The emplyer pays under the impression that the costumer is going to tip, which means the minimum wage rules can be broken here in the states and the emplyee can be payed below minumem wage. Now do I believe in tipping? Not only yes but (blankty blank black) yes!

I remember one day I was having lunch at the local truck stop and there was a new waitress working. The couple siting ahead of me did nothing but wine and she busted her butt end to make them happy to no end. That sort of thing gets under my skin. Sure it was a four dollor lunch but I had a point to make. As I was leaving she asked "Is there anything I can do for you?" and I replied in a boisterous voice (to be sure the rude couple heard) that the servise was fantatic and that I was more then satisfied. I then left a $5 tip, which I felt like she had earned.

Now on the far side of that same pool and as a matter of fact that same ol' truck stop on another occation my band and I dropped by to hang out after a practice and I sat for two hours watching the rest of them eat while I man handled an empty coffee cup, becouse the waitress was to busy blabbering about her boy freind to another waitress to refill my cup. Did I tip...yes. 25 cents for my cup of coffee. Normally I leave a $1 for coffee.

Bottom line of my rattle is...Emplyees hired under the impression of being tipped should be tipped. But the amount of the tip souly belongs to the empyee. Nuf said.

Hmmmmmmm would have been shorter if i had left out the story. Maybe I should call myself ranting bob.
    Last edited by staticbob; Feb 04, 2005 at 09:36 PM.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yeah, it has gotten out of hand, but thats the way it is!! I always tip, the servers work hard and deserve it!! Now if they started paying them more like mentioned above, I probably wouldnt tip then!!

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks
    yeah, so far I think we can all agree on one thing

good service= big tip
    bad service = small or no tip

but who's to determine whether the service was good or not

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pyoro-pyoro
    yeah, so far I think we can all agree on one thing

good service= big tip
    bad service = small or no tip

but who's to determine whether the service was good or not
    Well that all a matter of opinion!!! It depends on what you feel is good service!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by staticbob
    I'd have to agree with Arrianna and jao on both ends. Though I've never worked a job where tips where involved I have a few good friends that play that game. The emplyer pays under the impression that the costumer is going to tip, which means the minimum wage rules can be broken here in the states and the emplyee can be payed below minumem wage. Now do I believe in tipping? Not only yes but (blankty blank black) yes!

I remember one day I was having lunch at the local truck stop and there was a new waitress working. The couple siting ahead of me did nothing but wine and she busted her butt end to make them happy to no end. That sort of thing gets under my skin. Sure it was a four dollor lunch but I had a point to make. As I was leaving she asked "Is there anything I can do for you?" and I replied in a boisterous voice (to be sure the rude couple heard) that the servise was fantatic and that I was more then satisfied. I then left a $5 tip, which I felt like she had earned.

Now on the far side of that same pool and as a matter of fact that same ol' truck stop on another occation my band and I dropped by to hang out after a practice and I sat for two hours watching the rest of them eat while I man handled an empty coffee cup, becouse the waitress was to busy blabbering about her boy freind to another waitress to refill my cup. Did I tip...yes. 25 cents for my cup of coffee. Normally I leave a $1 for coffee.

Bottom line of my rattle is...Emplyees hired under the impression of being tipped should be tipped. But the amount of the tip souly belongs to the empyee. Nuf said.

Hmmmmmmm would have been shorter if i had left out the story. Maybe I should call myself ranting bob.
    haha, but hey it is like that though, people who provides good service always ends up getting crapped on because they are nice. Which in turn makes them less nicer. On the other hand, aholes get big tips because they tend to be in those rich folks restaurants, and it encourages them to be worse.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast