Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The practice of Tipping

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks
    hmmm, youre a waitress soo....female yes.... I can only conclude that guy was either a pervert or maybe he wanted to impress you, or maybe your D service really made his day

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sib
    But that said, there are some people out there who do pay attention to what we are doing and accept that things are going to take a time. The customers I like to serve are the ones who remain polite at all times, because frankly the ones who complain alot are actully intimidating. While a tip of say £1 or something is appreciated, some people leave huge tips that you can't help but feel awkward taking. One time this guy offerd me a £50 tip! It was kind of him, but I politley refused it as I had given him terrible service and I hadn't deserved it (at which point he left £60 on the table and walked out) ^^;;.

(i'm starting to rant like staticbob)

In short (from the pov of a waitress), tips are good but only if they are a measure of the service you recieve. Too much feels weird and too little or nothing can be kind of insulting sometimes.
    I myself walk into a resturant with the intension of tipping £1, then i'll either add/subtract 10p for every good/bad thing that happens (that's within the servers control. Long waits for food is usually the fault of the kitchen).
    Sometimes someone will leave a tip in situations like that because their trying to make up for people who aren't understanding. While I have never left a tip of $50 I have left a 200% tip once when I felt really bad for the waiter. The guy earned it for putting up with the other customers and the kitchen and still trying to smile and take care of us.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku zeine may be famous one day zeine may be famous one day zeine's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Siiigh....

This topic explodes in the paper here once a year.

It's a gratuity. That means it's supposed to be A) optional and B) something that is a reflection of your gratitude for their service.

The biggest problem isn't tipping but the lower minumum wage for servers. The employers pay them crap and then expect the customer to cover the rest. If you don't your accused of being cheap. In spite of that, I personally tip as a reflection of the service. It doesn't always make me friends.

Thing is, I undrestand that in countries where servers get a decent wage they don't have this problem. So yes, it's a problem that has gotten out of hand.

A point very well taken... It really does come to the subject of gratuity... And yes, it does depend on the kind of service given... Tip should be directly proportional to service, mathematically speaking that is...

Newbie c.c. may be famous one day c.c. may be famous one day c.c.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    I'm a server and people are cheap as hell. I say make 20% part of the bill :|. What the hell do they think, we're trying to make them give us less money? We don't just have to get the food and drinks out to you, we have to deal with cleaning all the other tables, restocking and cleaning the back, taking out food and drinks for others, getting bitched at by the cooks, dish staff, and other employees. Don't even get me started on the weekends when we have an expo. I swear the only reason physical fights don't start is because there isn't any time to take a swing at someone. We'd much rather stay out around the tables than deal with the shit back there. Not to mention we also have to tip out to the busser, the hostess, and the bartender (depending on the resteraunt). It gets to the point that the lower you tip the more often the servers end up paying to serve you from taxes and such.

Oh, and also note that when your food is late or wrong it isn't always our fault. We're the physical representatives of the place but the cooks get backed up or **** up, too. We work the hardest and get paid the least.
    Last edited by c.c.; Feb 08, 2005 at 10:50 PM.

Otaku Ted Turtle may be famous one day Ted Turtle may be famous one day Ted Turtle's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sib
    Hmm... maybe. But it still felt like a teacher giving me an A+ for a rubbish essay that was D standard at best.
    Lol I feel for you guys. I never had a job as a waiter but I know the feeling from working in customer service. I usually give a $5-10 tip if the person did a great job but I don't tip much if the person a bad job with being the friendly person serving your food. I still give a tip regardless but not as much if they did bad. As for giving a tip based on the person's looks is stupid. I hate to admit it but I did that a few times until I worked in customer service.

Read Magical Detective Daisuke. Part 9 is finally out! Click here to read it! For the complete collection of Magical Detective Daisuke click here.

Newbie Sheep_of_Death may be famous one day Sheep_of_Death may be famous one day Sheep_of_Death's Avatar
    Thanks
    i guess so.. but sometimes if the service is bad i won't ever like to tip..
    Death Soul Collector

Banned-looks like you were beat hunh little kid the_weird_one may be famous one day the_weird_one may be famous one day the_weird_one's Avatar
    Thanks
    TIPPING! i love doing that! (actually i dont do it very often, but it is fun when i do!)

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Of course there is always power tipping. Dropping a large tip even before the service is given or when you will be comming back no matter what service you actually recieved.

I've done this a few times and it always works. You get the best service out of all the customers. At a resturant where we used to go all the time we would regularly tip 25% or more. Whenever we walked in we would be immediatly greeted, given the best table, and have our food fast and delicious. Anything we needed was ours.

At that point the question becomes, what is great service worth to you?

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast