Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Problem With Network

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Problem With Network

Can someone please help me and give me a few tips or two??

My problem:

My friend just bout a router that has both ethernet and wireless capabilities (so he can leech off my dsl). Both our computers are connected to the router and to the modem through ethernet cables. Our main concern is to block others in the apartment from leeching on the wireless capabilities of the router.

But the problem is when I try to put in this IP address that the instruction booklet told me to put in the browser, instead of giving me a window that allows me to set the passwords and such, it took me to my modem information instead.

I call the tech guy and he said it was okay, and that my router was secured, but I wanted a second opinion.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

What you need to know is what is the default settings of the router. Without that information, there is no way of knowing... (grumble grumble grumble)

If the administrative address/port is connecting to the DSL modem, it may indicate that the DSL modem is connected to the wrong ethernet port (It should be on the gateway port, not the shared ports...) Try disconnecting the DSL modem from the router, then try the administration address. And if it works, change the default password, and write the new password some where in a safe location...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks
    no i am sure the dsl modem is connected in the right place, and I cannnot disconnect the modem, because I am just following the direction on the manual

and what do you mean by the default settings of the router??

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something

Otaku maverickvns may be famous one day maverickvns may be famous one day
    Thanks
    try seeing if you can connect to the router only. that means disconnect the modem 1st and then try to access the router since the router itself has an ip address, no need for the modem at all.

Thanks
    that's what I have in mind right now, im thinking of trying that. But I mean what are the chances that a stupid router has the same ip as my modem

Newbie conceptx may be famous one day conceptx may be famous one day conceptx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Very likely. I've run into alot of modem's that use the default IP for administration of routers which in most cases is 192.162.100.1 or something similar to that. You will have to disconnect your modem and just plug directly into the router to configure it then change the routers IP your DHCP range and of course lock down the wireless with what ever security you see fit (MAC based is what I suggest).
    |be it known|i know nothing|

Thanks
    okay, I've just directly pluged my laptop to the cord that once connected my modem to the router, now that cord is connecting my laptop to the router

I tried the IP thing but it still doesn't work

Newbie conceptx may be famous one day conceptx may be famous one day conceptx's Avatar
    Thanks
    You don't want to plug in your machine to the WAN port of the Router which is where your modem was plugged in. You will need to plug into one of the switch ports.
    |be it known|i know nothing|

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast