Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Problems detecting SATA drive

Retired frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta's Avatar
    Thanks

Problems detecting SATA drive

Alright I've spent the last 4 hours with my computer taken apart attempting to solve a problem. It all started when I disconnected my computer, placed it in my car, drove home, and set it up again. I turned it on and it powered up, but did not boot, the drives were not running or anything. After taking it nearly fully apart and putting it back together it worked, it displayed my boot screen.

However, after the boot screen it said the boot device was not present. I restarted and went into bios and was pleased to see that it detected my 250 gig ide hard drive, but not my 80 gig SATA drive (With my OS)

I have tried all four SATA ports, and several legacy and SATA power cords to see if that would work, also I tried using another SATA data cable. Nothing worked. I then tried disconnecting the 250 gig and trying again, still nothing.

And now, after reconnecting the 250 gig IDE, it isn't detecting that either. Is it possible that my motherboard is lacking SATA drivers or something like that? I'm home for Thanksgiving weekend and I really need to get on my bloody computer. I seriously doubt my drives are blown as I've never had any problems with either to date, and I've not dropped my computer or the drives.

Any and all help would be much appreciated, a lot of important date is on those drives, not to mention all my games which I've been waiting 2 months to play (internet connection at the college is horrid)

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Problems detecting SATA drive

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Have you checked the BIOS settings to see if the SATA controller is enabled. Also check the order of the boot devices as well. You can also try loading the default BIOS settings and see if the system can see those drives...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Newbie wingzero_ac19x may be famous one day wingzero_ac19x may be famous one day wingzero_ac19x's Avatar
    Thanks

Is the drive powering up any at all? Even if it isnt being detected by computer, if it has got power it should be spinning when power is supplied. Atleast that will tell you whether it is a power problem or data problem (setting aside the possibility of bad drive, which should not be the case)

The flames of darkness burn eternal...a rage thats neverending...I stand alone. A demon unleashed..

Retired frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll check the settings in my bios, but I don't see why they would have been changed. I have confirmed that my 250 gig is spinning but I cannot hear my SATA drive spinning, I have tried several different power connectors with my SATA drive, and none have shown a difference.

Newbie wingzero_ac19x may be famous one day wingzero_ac19x may be famous one day wingzero_ac19x's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey, try disconnecting your data cable on the drive that is not functioning, but leave the power connecter in and turn on system...see if the drive spins any at all... that will eliminate a hardware conflict possibility, limiting it to either A. Lack of power, or B.faulty drive

The flames of darkness burn eternal...a rage thats neverending...I stand alone. A demon unleashed..

Otaku paiki may be famous one day paiki may be famous one day paiki's Avatar
    Thanks

*** If dont hv 1st boot SATA HDD ***

Try change your 1st boot device to SCSI... some MB define SATA as a SCSI device (A7N8X, A7N8X-E, A7N8X-X, AN-7, NF7, NF7S).

But your sata hd need be working though ;_;...
    Last edited by paiki; Nov 24, 2005 at 08:27 AM.

Thanks

Alright....update:

I've detected zero life in both my SATA and my IDE hard drive so I'm tossing a 30 gig IDE drive in there until I can gather up money.

Do any of you know about how much data recovery would run at/repairing a hard drive?

And is there a method of taking the platters out of one drive and placing them in an identical drive? I absolutely need this data.

Otaku Ishamael may be famous one day Ishamael may be famous one day Ishamael's Avatar
    Thanks

So nothing is spinning now? My step brother and I had a problem similar to this when we tried to get his motherboard to see all of his ram. When we finished, the OS wouldnt boot up, saying it could not read from the disk. Are you getting any thing like that? It turned out that the OS boot options had been fried off of the HD and we just needed to get another HD with windows on it. All of the data on the fried HD was still there and he just uses it as a secondary storage unit.
    "Who said I'm pissed?" - Silverskater145
    "That gigantic wall of text you posted did a pretty good job of it." - Raven Omega

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast