Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Problems with DVD drive

Otaku xotix may be famous one day xotix may be famous one day xotix's Avatar
    Thanks
    did your drive ever read dvds before??

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xotix
    did your drive ever read dvds before??

Legendary Otaku Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hassun
    But wouldn't it stop playing anything if something is unplugged?
    Hmmm you do have a point there. you said you installed USB 2.0 I donno if that would conflict with any drivers you had prviusly installed or not. it shouldn't hmm.. I donno what to tell ya

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks
    Nah, it was a long time ago, since then I've used the drive multiple times and it worked fine...

Otaku ex-paranoia may be famous one day ex-paranoia may be famous one day ex-paranoia's Avatar
    Thanks
    What brand DVD-Drive is it?

There could be something wrong internally with the drive itself. Many computers that come with a DVD-drive are usually pretty low-grade drives from the start. Samsung drives are pretty crappy as well. It could possibly be wear of the reading lens. Possibly the lens cannot decrypt DVDs anymore. Also, you may want to look and check what type of media your DVD drive will read. DVD+ media is not supported by some manufacturers, DVD- media is widely supported, but may have some disfunctionality on certain drives. DVD-RAM media is supported but can also have disfunctionality.

A few troubleshooting steps to do if you aren't sure.

1. Replace the drive with another drive to test functionality on the IDE slot.
    2. Update drivers for the DVD Drive. (You have already done this)
    3. Update the drivers for the IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers.
    4. Switching from IDE1 to IDE2, to test malfuntionality of either port.
    5. Changing the IDE cable.
    6. Read the DVDs on another DVD-ready machine. (Probably don't need to do this but whatever)
    7. Check Master/Slave settings on the IDE slot where your drive is plugged into.

Otaku xotix may be famous one day xotix may be famous one day xotix's Avatar
    Thanks
    lol, sorry. just wanted to make sure your drive was capable of reading dvds. ok get registry cleaner and clean out your registry. also do a scan for spyware and viruses. what operating system are you using btw??

AO Angel ^^ angelan may be famous one day angelan may be famous one day angelan's Avatar
    Thanks
    what do you mean by refuse? doesn't recognize the disc or kinda doesn't respond and hangs?
    -=|AnimeReflections|Live-Evil|My Trades|=-

Put your unused CPU to use for a good cause: |Folding@Home||Human Proteome Folding|

Otaku Kira may be famous one day Kira may be famous one day Kira's Avatar
    Thanks
    if it is an old optical dvd drive, it might be able to real newer (higher frequency coding) dvd's. I might be wrong though... :P if i am wrong.. please don't hurt me

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast