Thread: Problems with the Microsoft Install System (MSI)

Newbie JEEB may be famous one day JEEB may be famous one day JEEB's Avatar
    Thanks

Problems with the Microsoft Install System (MSI)

Ok folks, now I've had this problem for quite a long now that almost every MSI-based installation quits out after clicking 'next' on the first screen (I got through the install of Microsoft Anti-spyware by clicking random parts of the window and selecting things before pressing 'next', which helped in that situation, although the EULA didn't seem to load at all - on other installs it just made the usual Windows error screen pop up with the classic 'report to M$' page).

Now, after installing a new HDD and some other parts I decided to install the system once more on the brand-new 120Gb drive that I brought home from Japan. After installing all the updates from Windows Update and starting to put my backups back to their place I figured out I'd try if that pesty little error had gone away with the brand-new install (only Office and some other software like Irfanview and Mozilla Firefox+Thunderbird were installed with Kaspersky Anti-virus and Zonealarm firewall, updated to their newest versions). I had just downloaded the Ventrilo win32 distribution installer and was ready to try the bug out - only to find out that the setup still crashed, which made it obvious that the bug was still there. The setup wouldn't go further than that first window. Bugger (^_^;)... I also tried to install the trial version of VMware 5.5.1 to see if it worked, but it also had an error - it just reset the computer and booted up into the BIOS when installing the VMnet network parts. After that I used an hour to manually delete all the parts it had left around.

I've been searching on the subject for two days now and even re-installed some of the components of MSI. But still no luck, the error is still there somewhere. My platform is Windows XP Pro with (self-)slipstreamed SP2 (Russian) - although the slipstreaming doesn't matter, the error was there before, and then I installed Windows from the original disc without SP2.

If someone would have even a clue or a hint about how something like this could be fixed, I'd be very grateful to hear about it. Meanwhile I'll try to fix it somehow, maybe by re-installing MSI completely out of my system, if that can be done...
    人生フゥ~!!!

Otaku nexus21 may be famous one day nexus21 may be famous one day nexus21's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Problems with the Microsoft Install System (MSI)

try changing things around in the BIOS
    lead me not to temptation... i can find it myself

Newbie JEEB may be famous one day JEEB may be famous one day JEEB's Avatar
    Thanks

I've tried to set various things in my OS and one thing's clear, there could be two different errors, although I have no idea if they're originating from the same place. The VMware setup rebooted because of a BSOD, originating from the VMware network part driver (which might have brought out because of the error in msiexec.exe or some of it's parts). The error encountered at almost any other setup is due to msiexec.exe either hanging or just giving up.

I can run various software that is heavy on memory so I think my memory hasn't gone up to heavens as I upgraded it when I put in all my new parts (before the new Windows install). But I think I'll make that RAM test CD that's on the Microsoft site in order to check it out more throughly.

nexus21, I'm thankful for your advice, but couldn't you share a bit more light for me, as I can't understand what's wrong with my BIOS settings, I set the memory frequence to the only possible from 'auto' (333Mhz, which is their named speed), I've deleted network device from boot devices and made overall tweaks to the BIOS settings, but without further result. I don't think it has anything to do with the AGP Fast Write option I set on in there when I installed the ATi X700 card. I think that this is a really weird error and I don't like it, I've even made checks on the system files to replace them, but without result. It seems like a software error and not something that has something to do with BIOS, though the MSI problem seems suspiciously 'inherited'.

I wonder if the error was in the Windows installation CD, but most of the files, including MSI, were updated when I integrated the SP2 (from a Microsoft CD I got by mail when I still didn't have a broadband connection). So either on my PC the MSI wrecks itself up, the Windows installation CD has broken or the SP2 CD has broken. But, as far as I could think, Microsoft should do even some kind of MD4/5- checks while it's installing updates or something. Also cabinet files would be corrupted, too, resulting in errors while installing/unpacking the distributive if an error should be on the disc. By now I have no other knowledge about the problem, but I'm trying to get rid of it, although I don't have many leads left any more.
    人生フゥ~!!!

A Returning Soul Twitchy may be famous one day Twitchy may be famous one day Twitchy's Avatar
    Thanks

the confusing readme files and stuff that is what is wrong with Microsoft
    http://www.animeonline.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22388&dateline=123367  5260

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

HEY JEEB!! Haven't seen you in a while. Unfortunately your error is a nasty one since there is no clear way to diagnosis. I want to help what little I can so tell me, have you ensured all of your hardware & software is on the Microsoft Compatibility List (Clicky)? I know this should be stupid but I bought a motherboard that wasn't suport and man did it wreak havoc.

Step 2, Run HijackThis and post it for the guys/gals @ TweakXP (Clicky)

They are really good at noticing things that shouldn't be there that could be screwing with your system.

Not much to help but then again man that is a flaky error!