Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Punk Rock becoming Mainstream?

Otaku Dragor may be famous one day Dragor may be famous one day Dragor's Avatar
    Thanks

Punk Rock becoming Mainstream?

Well I wasn't sure where to put his but I feel it fits here. SO I listen to punk rock, and some of its sub genres; however it was brought ot my attention that slowly punk being underground and against the being part of the mainstrema world, is actually itself becoming mainstream.

Through bands such as Good Charlotte(I personally hate), New Found Glory(They have a few good songs), and Simple Plan(also hate) more nad more people mainly youing kids are listening to "punk rock", even though the bands that they are listening to aren't quite punk in my opinion the whole idea behind the music is becoming the "thing" to do now.

Personally I feel a punk band can still hold true to its origins even if it becomes a popular band, but it must becareful not to become a sell out because once that happens they often start creating music for money, and not for more noble reasons. One factor to this whole thing I think would definately be MTV.

So basically I was just wondering what everyone elses opinions about this were.
    Dreams come true, but nightmares do too.

Life isn't a game, it's just a referal to the time you exist on this playground called Earth.

As Seen on Internet KenX may be famous one day KenX may be famous one day
    Thanks
    All the punk bands that are "undeground" Don't want to stay that way. If they make CDs, and sell them to business for people to purchase, then they want to become known and want to be mainstream and want to make more money.
    Last edited by KenX; Nov 05, 2004 at 11:18 PM.

Otaku Purplefire may be famous one day Purplefire may be famous one day Purplefire's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KenX
    All the punk bands that are "undeground" Don't want to stay that way. If they make CDs, and sell them to business for people to perchase, then they want to become known and want to be mainstream and want to make more money.
    True but I get what hes saying also. There use to be hardcore bands out there that stayed true to real punk, and now bands like Good Charolette that to me sound like the backstreet boys are coming out claiming they are so hard core *cough*Avril*cough* but yeah. To me that is Pop Rock not Punk Rock, since it doesnt sound like punk music, at all. It more sounds like church boys singing in a choir. No offense. But if thats the music they like, then thats fine. It's funny to see a guy dressed up in black, with piercings claiming to be some sort of rebel and then sings pop music. But hey people will do anything for money and fame right?

80% Evil l 5% Insane l 15% Addict l 0% Lack of Guinea Pigs
    lAnime TalklAnime OnlinelOtaku BoardslMini Tokyo

Otaku SenseiGohan may be famous one day SenseiGohan may be famous one day SenseiGohan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Ahh punk can be mainstream as well hey, i think it's good, i mean look at Rap, how pop that is know 10 to 15 years ago it was no were near were it is knwo hey.

Newbie Nemontine89 may be famous one day Nemontine89 may be famous one day Nemontine89's Avatar
    Thanks
    Good Charolette doesn't call themselves all punk, more like punk/pop so you can't go hating on them for trying to be what they're not. Good Charolette, NFG, and Simple Plan do get annoying and they have pretty high voices. But that's just pop. Of course the line between punk and pop and rock has gotten pretty blurred but punk, to me, is just mainly going against mainstream and being a rebel. But that's just me, everybody has their own opinion, but I get really pissed off at those punk wannabees who live in Hot Topic and think they're all punk.

I wuv me my gumbies XD

Otaku shadowdeath may be famous one day shadowdeath may be famous one day shadowdeath's Avatar
    Thanks
    I like everything... like im listenting to Muse right now but I also like Enya... and I love christmas music.... RAWR, I'm insane. Yes, Rock on punk!

Otaku Dragor may be famous one day Dragor may be famous one day Dragor's Avatar
    Thanks
    You all have good points. I still stated my question a bit off but it's still basically the same.

I just can't stand it when people join in on certain trends in order to feel secure, and when they choose something that's supposed to be going against trends for there new trend, it's just messed up.

It's just sad to see yet one more thing fall into the hands of major corporations to alter as they wish in order to make more money.
    Dreams come true, but nightmares do too.

Life isn't a game, it's just a referal to the time you exist on this playground called Earth.

Otaku dave_akuma may be famous one day dave_akuma may be famous one day dave_akuma's Avatar
    Thanks
    punk's been mainstream for a long time now, where have you been?

'but punk, to me, is just mainly going against mainstream and being a rebel'

that's what the essence of punk rock is, and there will always be underground bands, but for the most part, punk has become very mainstream...just watch any skateboarding or bmx video (or shows like Bluetorch and all that) and most of the music is punk...Tony Hawks' Boom Boom Huck Jam is another example---i remember back when i was a skater, it wasn't 'in'---people used to harass skaters...now you've got people who don't skate or never will dressing like a skater...it's become the same way with punk to a certain extent, posers who like the look more than anything, and aren't really into the music...
    Last edited by dave_akuma; Nov 07, 2004 at 10:40 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast