Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Punk Rock becoming Mainstream?

Newbie JonMItz may be famous one day JonMItz may be famous one day JonMItz's Avatar
    Thanks
    i hate mainstream

ROAR

Otaku Haruka X may be famous one day Haruka X may be famous one day Haruka X's Avatar
    Thanks
    Nowadays, These punk bands that are well-known, such as Good Charlotte, Simple Plan.. etc sounds more pop-rock than punk. I went to kings dominion last saturday and I noticed that a LOT of people dressed up as punks and I was in line with one 'punk-rocker' and I asked her what bands she likes, her response was Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, Sum 41, Avril.. etc. She said they're so awsome. I realized one thing, it's a 'trend-setter' - I mean, one day.. everyone likes rap and hates punk.. and then all of sudden, the next day everyone hates rap and likes punk. I'm sure most punk-rockers, if that is what they consider themselves, would have the same answer to "Favorite Punk Bands" (Good Charlotte, Simple Plan.. etc)

In my opinion, Punk is dead. Pop-Punk or 'Punx' was created. But then again, Music exists for our entertainment, not for competition. Yes, some people may disagree and I respect their opinions.

11:11 Delerium may be famous one day Delerium may be famous one day Delerium's Avatar
    Thanks
    Punk is definately more mainstream than say two years ago. I honestly think it is becoming the new pop. Just the same the emocore is becoming the new alternative. I went to a Taking Back Sunday concert a couple days ago and was shown just how mainstream this punk/emo culture is becoming. I'm okay with it because I can listen to the music, in fact I like most of it. I cant bring myself to buy Good Charlotte or Simple Plan's new cds, theres just too many other better bands out there. I found myself strangely picking up Manson's Mechanical Animals album, and I think in large part its that I wanted somehting new. I feel like there arent very many differences in this upcoming pop culture. Once you've heard one band you've heard them all, but I guess when you think about it, all genres are kind of like that. I'm willing to bet six months from now the top 40 will be littered with bands like New Found Glory, Good Charlotte, and Sum41 and honestly I'm not going to complain.

Newbie Nemontine89 may be famous one day Nemontine89 may be famous one day Nemontine89's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_akuma
    I remember back when i was a skater, it wasn't 'in'---people used to harass skaters...now you've got people who don't skate or never will dressing like a skater... ...
    Yeah, those people piss me off

Quote Originally Posted by dave_akuma
    it's become the same way with punk to a certain extent, posers who like the look more than anything, and aren't really into the music...
    Well, you could probably go both ways with this. If you like the look, no one's going to make you like the music. Just my opinion tho.

I wuv me my gumbies XD

Newbie The_frigerator may be famous one day The_frigerator may be famous one day
    Thanks
    punk is not always about going against mainstream. Punk is mostly abaut saing whats on your mind. if things arent right, then say it and make a song about it. that's what punk is all about.
    for example: rock against bush. organized by nofx and all the new york punk an hardcore bands. most people over the world didn't want bush to be president. so it's not quit mainstream. they just wanted to judge somethings that is wrong, and tried to say that it's wrong what is happening.
    everything thats they think is good but is alo a bit mainstream they do not sing it in a negative way because its just mainstream.

punk is not going against mainstream, but it's saying what's on your mind.
    judging the bad things in the world

Otaku Dragor may be famous one day Dragor may be famous one day Dragor's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The_frigerator
    punk is not always about going against mainstream. Punk is mostly abaut saing whats on your mind. if things arent right, then say it and make a song about it. that's what punk is all about.
    for example: rock against bush. organized by nofx and all the <a href="new%20york" onmouseover="window.status='new york'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">new york</a> punk an hardcore bands. most people over the world didn't want bush to be president. so it's not quit mainstream. they just wanted to judge somethings that is wrong, and tried to say that it's wrong what is happening.
    everything thats they think is good but is alo a bit mainstream they do not sing it in a negative way because its just mainstream.

punk is not going against mainstream, but it's saying what's on your mind.
    judging the bad things in the world

Yes, your right; however to me mainstream is making music for the soul purpose of gaining fans, and making music. So instead of just singing about how they feel, they are singing how they think others do so that they'll buy they're albums and such.
    Dreams come true, but nightmares do too.

Life isn't a game, it's just a referal to the time you exist on this playground called Earth.

Otaku FallenOne may be famous one day FallenOne may be famous one day FallenOne's Avatar
    Thanks
    "Going Mainstream" is the goal of almost every band that plays. Unless the band is financially secure from other sources to begin with, it actually does need to make money off of its music. I mean, every bad is looking for that big "hit" thats going to take them to the top. They want to be heard. And staying in the fringes of music may make you like them, but they are almost never satisfied with that. All you can hope for, and this is the only way that punk will hopefully stay alive, is that they get famous and make money by making songs that are true to their core. That they dont just start selling out by putting out music they neither believe in nor even like - but just that simply sell records cause of the trend of the day. If a band stays tru to its heart and becomes popular nonetheless, then there's no reason to hate em.

The end is important in all things.

Otaku Dragor may be famous one day Dragor may be famous one day Dragor's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FallenOne
    "Going Mainstream" is the goal of almost every band that plays. Unless the band is financially secure from other sources to begin with, it actually does need to make money off of its music. I mean, every bad is looking for that big "hit" thats going to take them to the top. They want to be heard. And staying in the fringes of music may make you like them, but they are almost never satisfied with that. All you can hope for, and this is the only way that punk will hopefully stay alive, is that they get famous and make money by making songs that are true to their core. That they dont just start selling out by putting out music they neither believe in nor even like - but just that simply sell records cause of the trend of the day. If a band stays tru to its heart and becomes popular nonetheless, then there's no reason to hate em.
    My views are exactly the same as yours regarding bands becoming popular but not sell outs.

I gues I've found my answer, I was just curious if you all thought that the punk genre was gaining the spotlight. And obviously with the great increase in well known bands from this genre and related one's it is becoming popular.

But I wasn't quite clear on what I was really asking. I was curious if you all thought that this attention on punk rock mark's the final stages of the original ideas about this music? Will the spread of this music cause it's demise as well?

Sorry to drag this out but I'm not quite satisfied with the previous responses, but that's my fault for not stating my question better.
    Dreams come true, but nightmares do too.

Life isn't a game, it's just a referal to the time you exist on this playground called Earth.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast