Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quality of fan-sub groups

Otaku ex-paranoia may be famous one day ex-paranoia may be famous one day ex-paranoia's Avatar
    Thanks

Arrow

I used to work for a "fansub" group, Anime-Kraze, quality was a top priority there, even though some of their work wasn't all that great. I didn't much like the new bosses around there, so I quit due to some pressure.

The basic routine for subbing an anime was:

1. Getting the RAW (Base media which had been captured from TV).
    2. Translating the RAW and writting the lines into a Subtitle file.
    3. Timers would then take the Subtitle file, and go through the RAW and inserting timestamps for each line of the translation.
    4. Editors would then check the sequence to see if everything was fine. If need be they would make changes to the subtitles, and shorten some of the lines.
    5. If the editors had made any changes to the Subtitles file, the timers would go back and redo #3.
    6. Typesetting/Effects/Karaoke, Typesetters would choose the type for the fonts used in the subtitles. Once that phase is compelted, the effects team will make effects with the subtitles to give the fansub a bit more spice. To top it off, the karaoke'rs would then add karaoke effects to the Introduction theme, and any Song related lyrics in the file.
    7. First Pass Encoding. The first rough encode of the file is made, this encode then goes to a quality check team to inspect the file for any quality deffects or bad translations that may have been left in.
    8. The Quality Check team then decides whether the encode is worthy or not, of being released officially to the public. If not, then they go back and fix whatever problems they need to.
    9. If Quality Check has given the okay, the thourough encode is started. Once the full encode is done, a final check to see if anything has gone wrong is made. If it is okay, the group will release the file to the public.

Yup that's pretty much it. Have I left anything out o.O?

Newbie Master Pivot may be famous one day Master Pivot may be famous one day Master Pivot's Avatar
    Thanks
    When possible, I try to get copies from ANBU, AonE, Anime-Keep. Groups I know to put out good quality encodings and subs. There are so many groups now...

Sometimes, it is hard to choose which version to download when multiple groups are putting out the same title and one of them is not one of the groups I usually watch. Just as an example, I noticed that FIVE groups are putting our the anime series Air (The Triad, Takeda Honyakubu, Kage-Subs, Static-Subs, and Koi).
    Master Pivot - Wielder of the Coherent Light Bokken
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Otaku dark_glaive may be famous one day dark_glaive may be famous one day
    Thanks
    My favorite group is Anime-Keep. They are a little slow at the moment, but the quality is quite superb. My 2nd favorite is Anime-Kraze. They do really well also.

If you are looking for any Gundam SEED fansubs, you can't go wrong with SEED Fansubs. They sub SEED better than any other group I've seen period.
    Dont make your sig that big again or I'll de-brain you---administration

Otaku dave_akuma may be famous one day dave_akuma may be famous one day dave_akuma's Avatar
    Thanks
    most of the stuff i had (before my external hd crapped out on me ) was from either AonE or Anbu (of course there were others, but i can't remember them offhand) and i've always been happy with both groups' work...no complaints here

Otaku ex-paranoia may be famous one day ex-paranoia may be famous one day ex-paranoia's Avatar
    Thanks
    Personally I have alot of Anime-Kraze stuff, basically all the series my ex-group fansubbed, I kept. That includes almost everything on their projects list. Everything else, I got either from AOne, ANBU, Live-Evil, The Triad, Anime-Keep. Almost... 38 series from Anime-Kraze, and around 134 of the other groups combined. And some DVDs.
    Last edited by ex-paranoia; Jan 12, 2005 at 09:11 PM.

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks
    anbu, and anime-keep... Definitly my fav's.

ex-paranoia.... Nice o.o i don't think u left anything out.
    But i would never do anything like that, look's difficult.
    WAy's too complicated
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|

Otaku sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9's Avatar
    Thanks
    I had NO idea it was so involved (thanks ex-paranoia)! I've never gotten hold of a fansub that I thought was just bad (independent of the anime series). Most of the groups exhibit their devotion to anime by offering the fruits of their hardwork. ANBU and Anime-Keep are popular, but props to Inuyasha4ever for lesser subbed series!

Newbie HyuugaNeji may be famous one day HyuugaNeji may be famous one day HyuugaNeji's Avatar
    Thanks
    i would say anbu, aone and akeep are definately the best out there. altho i do have a problem with the speed at which they release their subs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast