Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question about Fanfics

Otaku AnimeAficianado may be famous one day AnimeAficianado may be famous one day AnimeAficianado's Avatar
    Thanks

Question about Fanfics

I was planning to write a fanfic and i have quite a few ideas but i don't know what to do to write one... Could i write anything? Or does it have to follow the main story somehow? Could someone please help me out? Thx...

Otaku Siren may be famous one day Siren may be famous one day Siren's Avatar
    Thanks
    You can write whatever you want. It can be an AU (alternate universe, as in, not follow the original story much at all) or it can take place in the same setting, and you can add in your own ideas and adventures, you can ship (pair up) whatever couple your little heart desires (sometimes extremely weird ones can be fun, but if it's a serious romance/drama, well...), you can do whatever you like. The thing about fanfics is that you can mess up/keep the same whatever you'd like.
    "I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad... It's depressing." ~Tara from BtVS

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Take a walk over to fanfiction.net or mediaminer.org. Both of those sites have gobs of fanfics you can take a look at. That should give you an idea of where you can go with your idea.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Fangirl Missing in Action Hikari Sakurai may be famous one day Hikari Sakurai may be famous one day Hikari Sakurai's Avatar
    Thanks
    Anything goes in Fanfiction.... but to write a DECENT one it's good to have a original premise and to have a good grasp of creative writing.
    If you can't write well, it's best not to really bother... a well written fanfic can sometimes be as good as a original novel, but a bad fanfic can be so painful the one reading it will feel like pulling their hair out.
    A decent fanfic should be able to be read as a story and make sense as a whole.

One thing to avoid, would be writing in screenplay form. I've seen alot of this and it's quite annoying to read. example -
    Girl B: "blah blah blah blah blah blah?"
    Girl A: "blah beblah blah beblah blah blah!"
    You get the idea.
    You're writing a story, so it should look like a story, with proper grammar and all the trimmings.

It's a good idea to plan the story in advance. For example, write out a basic plot time line, from the beginning to the middle to the very end. Decide on your characters, and whether you are going to leave their personalities as is, or to throw some 'OOC' ness (Out of Character) into the mix.
    It's a good idea to know when writing exactly how it's going to end and who the characters really are.

I used to write fanfiction myself... (I wrote under a different name to what I use now but I never finished one of my works, nor ever released anything. It was 5 years ago through mind you ^^) So I know what I'm talking about.
    It's also good to do as Zui sugguested to go to the fanfiction sites and talk to other fanfic writers. There are serveal sites where you join fanfiction mailing lists (all through they are probably forums now) where you'll be sent other people's fanfics and other people's comments on them.
    Try to get yourself a pre-reader, or a team of pre-readers (people who read your fics before you release them to point out any flaws the story might have) They are very useful, because since it's your own work, you get kind of blind to it's flaws. I had a pre-reader, he was a fanfic writer himself, and man he helped me a lot.

I hoped that helped... (I'd like to know that bearing one of my dark little secrets like this has benefited you all... in some way.)
    Last edited by Hikari Sakurai; May 28, 2005 at 04:29 AM.

Leader of the Fangirl Conspiracy

Because teasing boys is so much fun.

[ Minitokyo| Doki Doki | My AO Gallery | Request a Siggy ]
    "Bisshies make Hikari happy"

ruler of mune667 deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667's Avatar
    Thanks
    just have fun when writing it, thats the main thing, it can be anything you want, anything.
    i am the urban monky
    look to the mune

Otaku AnimeAficianado may be famous one day AnimeAficianado may be famous one day AnimeAficianado's Avatar
    Thanks
    thx guys it did really help! ill be sure to get right on those sites. Thx again...

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikari Sakurai

One thing to avoid, would be writing in screenplay form. I've seen alot of this and it's quite annoying to read. example -
    Girl B: "blah blah blah blah blah blah?"
    Girl A: "blah beblah blah beblah blah blah!"
    You get the idea.
    You're writing a story, so it should look like a story, with proper grammar and all the trimmings.

Can I get an "Amen" from the congregation? I won't even proofread a story for someone if it's in script/screenplay format. Also stay away from the "self-insertion" stuff especially if you write yourself in as some uber-great character that dominates the story. People HATE that shite.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Otaku Siren may be famous one day Siren may be famous one day Siren's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zui Quan
    Also stay away from the "self-insertion" stuff especially if you write yourself in as some uber-great character that dominates the story. People HATE that shite.
    I believe the term is "Mary-Sue". And I agree, those character creations are the WORST. The most common signs of a Mary-Sue:

~ ALWAYS gets the guy/girl, guy/girl INSTANTLY falls for Mary-Sue - forget developing some sort of relationship, it's instant.
    ~ Can use weapons/perform stunts PERFECTLY on the first try - character just picked up a bow and arrow for the first time and shoots a bulls-eye on a target.
    ~ Appearance = perfect. If it's a girl, she's drop-dead gorgeous. Yanno, blonde hair/blue eyes, yadda yadda... If it's a guy, he's all buff. hot and sexy, etc.

Um... I think that's all. If anyone has anything to add, feel free. =)
    "I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad... It's depressing." ~Tara from BtVS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast