Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question about Fanfics

TCR Owner and Operator Ninrev Sirgem may be famous one day Ninrev Sirgem may be famous one day Ninrev Sirgem's Avatar
    The land of the Gooch(Goochland), in Virginina. USA
    Thanks
    Ehh, it depends on the style you write. Fantasy or comedies can take place in different worlds, but dramas and science fictions work better if they have some connecto to earth.
    Trars.com/forums <---The newest hot rpg place

Fangirl Missing in Action Hikari Sakurai may be famous one day Hikari Sakurai may be famous one day Hikari Sakurai's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zui Quan
    Can I get an "Amen" from the congregation? I won't even proofread a story for someone if it's in script/screenplay format. Also stay away from the "self-insertion" stuff especially if you write yourself in as some uber-great character that dominates the story. People HATE that shite.
    Sure you can ^_^
    All through I read one somewhat okay fanfic that was kind of written like that. The only reason I kept reading it was because despite the speech the rest of it was well written.

Leader of the Fangirl Conspiracy

Because teasing boys is so much fun.

[ Minitokyo| Doki Doki | My AO Gallery | Request a Siggy ]
    "Bisshies make Hikari happy"

Otaku Ted Turtle may be famous one day Ted Turtle may be famous one day Ted Turtle's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikari Sakurai
    Sure you can ^_^
    All through I read one somewhat okay fanfic that was kind of written like that. The only reason I kept reading it was because despite the speech the rest of it was well written.
    Lol I hope you guys weren't talking about me(But you probably were, so that's ok.). I'm changing the format to a novel format for Part 9 and the other parts after that. So you just have bare with me on Part 8 that will be out today.

Anyways to the new guy/gal who is about to start making a fanfic, I have some suggestions. The first thing is NEVER write in script format as the other guys stress the story never seems to get a full feeling of what it's about (I learned the hard way lol). You should keep in a novel format and make sure it a little on the short side so people's eyes don't bleed out. I seen some great fanfics that turned me away because there was too much to read. Don't make your character uber strong(well at least in the beginning) in other words no Goku or Superman. It's ok if the character learns over time though hardships and such. For example in my fanfic Daisuke can kick butt but he does get his butt kick by some people (Mostly Ceri). It's also a good idea to read other people's work. It can help you in ideas and format to write your own. Whatever you do, DO NOT copy or bite off someone elses work because copyright infrigenment and angry people do exist. And most important thing to do is to have fun with it. Don't let writing a fanfic stress you out to much and remember to talk to your friends online and offline about your work and life.

Read Magical Detective Daisuke. Part 9 is finally out! Click here to read it! For the complete collection of Magical Detective Daisuke click here.

Otaku Siren may be famous one day Siren may be famous one day Siren's Avatar
    Thanks
    Oh! One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet: disclaimers.

This only applies if you're not writing an original story (and by original, I mean not writing a fanfic about another published work, ie. Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, any anime, etc.). It's nothing too complicated, just a simple statement before the story claiming you do not own any of the characters, etc. and that they belong to whoever it is that does. If you don't know who has ownership you can either search for it or go the lazy route and just say "belongs to whoever owns it". =P
    "I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad... It's depressing." ~Tara from BtVS

TCR Owner and Operator Ninrev Sirgem may be famous one day Ninrev Sirgem may be famous one day Ninrev Sirgem's Avatar
    The land of the Gooch(Goochland), in Virginina. USA
    Thanks
    I have a copyright one on mine. My intellecutal property, dont copy it!
    Trars.com/forums <---The newest hot rpg place

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninrev Sirgem
    I have a copyright one on mine. My intellecutal property, dont copy it!

If that is so, then the characters and story would have to be wholly original and therefore wouldn't qualify as 'fanfiction.'

Also, you need to cut some of that text out of your sig. It's too big.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Otaku ryke12 may be famous one day ryke12 may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Siren
    Oh! One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet: disclaimers.

This only applies if you're not writing an original story (and by original, I mean not writing a fanfic about another published work, ie. Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, any anime, etc.). It's nothing too complicated, just a simple statement before the story claiming you do not own any of the characters, etc. and that they belong to whoever it is that does. If you don't know who has ownership you can either search for it or go the lazy route and just say "belongs to whoever owns it". =P
    Yeah, not that it really does anything for you, except lets you sleep a little better at night. No one even really cares about copyright infringement if you just WRITE crap on it, especially considering that you are supposed to directly contact the holder of the copyright for permission, and huge fanfic sites exist, when 0-1% have actually contacted ANYBODY on copyrights.

Oh, yeah. Make sure you have the motivation to finish a story. Nothing's more annoying than an unfinished fanfic. I've run across thousands of those, and REALLY don't stop at a cliffhanger... it makes you lose your fanbase.
    Maybe I'll come up eith a sig soon... until then, be patient.

Fangirl Missing in Action Hikari Sakurai may be famous one day Hikari Sakurai may be famous one day Hikari Sakurai's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Turtle
    Lol I hope you guys weren't talking about me(But you probably were, so that's ok.). I'm changing the format to a novel format for Part 9 and the other parts after that. So you just have bare with me on Part 8 that will be out today.
    Nah don't worry.... the one I was talking about was an Evangelion fic written about five years ago ^^
    In fact the only fanfiction I've ever read has been Evangelion ones, when I was an anime newbie... I got tired of fanfiction and haven't read on in three of so years.

Quote Originally Posted by ryke12
    Oh, yeah. Make sure you have the motivation to finish a story. Nothing's more annoying than an unfinished fanfic. I've run across thousands of those, and REALLY don't stop at a cliffhanger... it makes you lose your fanbase.
    Oh yes.... this is a very important point here
    This is what I did, I started a fanfic series and I lost the motivation and the story writing skills and I stopped writing it. Fortunately, I only ever released the series's prequel, which was a stand alone story anyway.

Leader of the Fangirl Conspiracy

Because teasing boys is so much fun.

[ Minitokyo| Doki Doki | My AO Gallery | Request a Siggy ]
    "Bisshies make Hikari happy"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast