Thread: [Question]DivX, Xvid - Which is better?

Newbie cilohpmalc may be famous one day cilohpmalc may be famous one day cilohpmalc's Avatar
    Thanks

[Question]DivX, Xvid - Which is better?

I think Xvid is better. Is here any expert??How do you think?

Otaku Metsuki Anba may be famous one day Metsuki Anba may be famous one day Metsuki Anba's Avatar
    Over there. In the bush next to your house.
    Thanks

Re: [Question]DivX, Xvid - Which is better?

I like DivX, and I'm sticking to it. That's what I've been using for a long time, and what I will continue to use. As for which is better, in what context?

Newbie cilohpmalc may be famous one day cilohpmalc may be famous one day cilohpmalc's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Metsuki Anba
    I like DivX, and I'm sticking to it. That's what I've been using for a long time, and what I will continue to use. As for which is better, in what context?
    Thank you to reply.
    From avi(no compression) to avi(compressed). I don't master it.

Laid Back Otaku Tano-kun may be famous one day Tano-kun may be famous one day Tano-kun's Avatar
    Thanks

Talking Re: [Question]DivX, Xvid - Which is better?

well I'm not sure what to say is better, but in my opinion just download the "ffdshow" codec from http://www.free-codecs.com/ so you can use it to play video files that are either Divx or Xvid....

Newbie JEEB may be famous one day JEEB may be famous one day JEEB's Avatar
    Thanks

Now I don't know about DivX6, but I prefer XVid over DivX5. DivX really lacked developement on the encoding side of things in its version 5 and couldn't be so well configured as XVid - which had become very stable after the 1.0 version had been reached. Not to mention that DivX PRO is not free or open-source.

So far I've been using XVid 1.0.3 and will give the now-in-beta 1.1 version a try when it reaches a more mature state. If looking into the future, the x264 codec looks very promising, but is still under heavy developement.

A codec comparison sheet is available at Doom9 (clickie).
    人生フゥ~!!!

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

As far as compatibility goes, I've seen several DVD decks on the market with DivX 3/4/5 compatibility while Xvid has yet to establish a hardware market. If you want to produce something that can be shown on a high-end Home Theater system, DivX is the only way to go.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Newbie JEEB may be famous one day JEEB may be famous one day JEEB's Avatar
    Thanks

LenMiyata, it's true that this is pretty late (since I haven't gotten a chance to look at the boards lately) and that officially what you say is the case (hence no XviD logos on players), but the DivX and Xvid codecs are both MPEG-4 codecs and both comply the standards (XviD even complies more to the standards of MPEG-4 than DivX, if looking at the tinyest of things).

In fact, XviD has several configuration profiles that should be (haven't been able to test on a HD media player yet, but the official sites and readmes state it) 100% compatible with the DivX profiles that are usually visible on the stand-alone players' "what can this thing play"- list. It should be possible, since they both create a MPEG-4 compilant stream and the players just have limits about bitrates and resolutions (and encoding tricks) they can and can't handle (there's where the "Why won't this play?" issues come along, if the encoder [person] doesn't know how to encode the video to be compilant with a specific player).

Just like there's a lot of codecs for making MPEG-2 streams, there's a lot for MPEG-4 streams as well. How much the players keep up with the pace of the standards is an another thing. In any case, XviD and DivX are very close (if not the same) in compatibility if set up right.
    人生フゥ~!!!

Otaku paiki may be famous one day paiki may be famous one day paiki's Avatar
    Thanks

Its not 100% Compatible with DivX 5 DVD Media Players, but many Media Systems run XviD too

Anyway, if u play on your PC only, I personally prefer XviD, looking in depth his source, the performance reached on XviD is like 5% better than DivX... not much to say the true.