Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Quote of the Day

Otaku Slothrop may be famous one day Slothrop may be famous one day Slothrop's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote of the Day

With the political discussions and less than rampant philosophizing going on, I thought this would be a fine topic:

"All great art is made from suffering." -Dimmu Borgir

Agree? Disagree? Discuss.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: Quote of the Day

I do not agree, there are people who can create beautiful art from a strong positive emotion.

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks

Good point Hassun, although I've made most of my art with a negative frame of mind....and i think it shows. Who knows, maybe one day I'll start making lighter walls. Not bloody likely.

5.00 M33-6 solking may be famous one day solking may be famous one day solking's Avatar
    Thanks

Well I don't agree but I don't disagree.

It is true what Hassun has said about works of art being made for positive emotions. But in the society that we live in today, the majority wants the blood and violence. Society would rather see a person die than see to people fall in love. Negativity brings about a different set of emotions that people usually bury deep within themselves. And for an art piece to touch that deep part of a human being, it will get much more attention than the positive works of art. To sum it up, we may not live in a time where all materpieces are negative but we are heading in that direction.

Otaku Dreadhawk may be famous one day Dreadhawk may be famous one day Dreadhawk's Avatar
    On the battlefield, hiding behind you with a knife...
    Thanks

Not ALL art is made because of suffering, me for example... I create art because I want that satisfying feeling of accomplishment once i'm done with a piece. I hardly EVER do any art in any form when im sad or angry. But I'm sure there are plenty of people that do. And also, one thing could be "great" to one person, but a piece of crap to another, it all depends on your tastes. I'd hope to be a great artist one day, but not famous no no, i'll be in my little house where noone can find me, i'd carry on my life, doing my same old stuffs XD

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

Art is usually a reflection of the emotions and experiences of the artist at the peticular time in which the piece is made. With that being said; the quote holds true and yet does not. It is my belief that it varies, depending on the artist and situation (or conditions if you'd rather) under which the piece is made.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

Otaku QueenOfGames may be famous one day QueenOfGames may be famous one day QueenOfGames's Avatar
    Thanks

I think I had to base an essay on this quote a couple of years back. Make shivers go down my spine when I read it too.

I wouldn't say suffering...I feel more that art, in any form, is created for many reasons. The person may feel strongly about something, which I wouldn't call suffering, but the strong point of view could have been spurred on by suffering, but at the same time, could be spurred by another as equally strong feeling. Art is something unique that comes from inside a person. Art could be the person's medium of bringing their unspeakable feelings to tangibility. (Is that a word? .^_^.) Anyway, it could range from confusion over what they are feeling inside to a way to filter suffering, as you say, out of them.

Suffering is not the only catalyst for -great- art. Many other intangible things can bring forth an equally great piece of art.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slothrop
    "All great art is made from suffering." -Dimmu Borgir
    False.

All great art is made through expressing the artists inner self, whatever that happens to be.

Quotes like this just show the author to be an elitist and self limiting. By making an absolute out of his statement he has eliminated the chance of many great and wonderful things from affecting his life.

Great art is like great music. It can take you to the depths of despair or the heighths of exaltation. It can inspire or depress. It can move you to tears or laughter. Most of all, it can touch our souls, our most precious memories, our inner most thoughts and feelings.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast