Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Quote of the Day

Idiot Impaler Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Quote of the Day

True. True happiness comes from overcoming some sort of suffering. Thus, art inspired by happiness essentially comes from suffering.
    The Last Remaining Realist.

See Dick Buy Beer, See Dick not Tip, See Dick try again, See Dick Go thirsty. Moral of the Story: Don't be a Dick.

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

lol art can come from many ways such as pain, happiness, sadness, darkness and all sort of feelings that are out there.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange 216
    True. True happiness comes from overcoming some sort of suffering. Thus, art inspired by happiness essentially comes from suffering.
    It could also be said that suffering is caused by doing things that deny you happiness.

By your logic I could claim that all art comes from happiness because those who are suffering are striving after happiness and those who are not suffering have already achieved it.

Sorry, no go.
    The answer is still False.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Idiot Impaler Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    It could also be said that suffering is caused by doing things that deny you happiness.

By your logic I could claim that all art comes from happiness because those who are suffering are striving after happiness and those who are not suffering have already achieved it.

Sorry, no go.
    The answer is still False.
    You start life carefree. Once you learn to care, you feel suffering, for once you understand caring, you understand how little you have compared to how much you want. Here's a syllogism for ya:
    Humankind desires
    Desires cause suffering
    Thus, Humankind suffers

See Dick Buy Beer, See Dick not Tip, See Dick try again, See Dick Go thirsty. Moral of the Story: Don't be a Dick.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange 216
    You start life carefree. Once you learn to care, you feel suffering, for once you understand caring, you understand how little you have compared to how much you want. Here's a syllogism for ya:
    Humankind desires
    Desires cause suffering
    Thus, Humankind suffers
    Your assuming that desire is always going to cause suffering.
    Personally I don't think that not being able to have every little thing you want is going to hurt you one bit, unless you obsess over it.

In other words, those who are obsessed about what they can never have suffer. But since artist tend to only obsess about their art. And great artists obsess about making great art, and achieve it, you can't claim that their obsession is unrequited. Therefor they haven't suffered for it, mearly worked hard.

Here's a far better quote for you that doesn't involve the oh so present "I am artist, I must be a tragic figure" pop image.

"Art is 90% persperation and 10% inspiration." (several professional artists who taught me)

Now there is a truth to live by and not just about art.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Your assuming that desire is always going to cause suffering.
    Personally I don't think that not being able to have every little thing you want is going to hurt you one bit, unless you obsess over it.

In other words, those who are obsessed about what they can never have suffer. But since artist tend to only obsess about their art. And great artists obsess about making great art, and achieve it, you can't claim that their obsession is unrequited. Therefor they haven't suffered for it, mearly worked hard.

Here's a far better quote for you that doesn't involve the oh so present "I am artist, I must be a tragic figure" pop image.

"Art is 90% persperation and 10% inspiration." (several professional artists who taught me)

Now there is a truth to live by and not just about art.
    And surely those several professional artists are smarter than Pythagoras, philosopher/mathematician. Do you not realize that even when you desire something, you may have it, lose it, and then suffer. Either way, humankind suffers. If your husband over there died, would you not suffer? This suffering is caused by desire to be with him.
    Every person suffers, period. Even a small amount. At the age of 5, you may have felt suffering because your parents wouldn't let you keep a dog you found or some shit. It's still suffering caused by desire. It depends on how drastic you make your definition of suffering, but in this case, it's used in the sense that you don't like the reality of something or the way that something must be.
    The fact of the matter is that humankind is so dramatic that the slightest gripe can be considered suffering to one person or another.

Angsty Goth Teenager SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128's Avatar
    Thanks

I have two quotes:
    "The only thing we have left to fear is, fear itself!" I forgot who said that, I wanna say Martin Luther King Jr.

The other is, "Bomb the living berjeebers out of those forces" Heard the quote in a song so i don't know who said it.

jao
    Otaku jao may be famous one day jao may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slothrop
    "All great art is made from suffering." -Dimmu Borgir

If you look at this quote as in literal terms, perhaps one can capture art without actually in a state of suffering..

I'm guessing this is a translation too--

My opinion:

Since life itself is suffering and it's counterpart, of course all great art is made from suffering. Without the knowledge and understanding of suffering can we know the beauty and happiness that we can sense through art.

For art to be, art, I think you need to have another mind to interpret it. How does a mind develop? Through suffering.

To quote my favorite poet, Ko Un

"We say we're taking
    the way we're each taking
    because someone else told us to take it
    We say the water simply flowing down the hills is flowing
    because someone else told it to.
    Human wisdom's wretched stuff"

[J]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast