Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Quote of the Day

Idiot Impaler Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Quote of the Day

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadhawk
    Not exactly, I want the best grades I can get, yet I love all my classes, and was happi when I graduated, did I suffer? not a bit, i was the top of my graphic art clss, that example can't always apply
    Suffering is not dislike. Suffering is inconvenience, working hard, and putting off other more leisurly activities so that you may achieve your goal (in this case).
    The Last Remaining Realist.

See Dick Buy Beer, See Dick not Tip, See Dick try again, See Dick Go thirsty. Moral of the Story: Don't be a Dick.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadhawk
    Not exactly, I want the best grades I can get, yet I love all my classes, and was happi when I graduated, did I suffer? not a bit, i was the top of my graphic art clss, that example can't always apply
    True, I loved college and hung around as often as possible, while doing my best to keep my GPA above 3.5. If I acheived it I was exstatic. The rest of the time I was just happy. lol

(Man, I miss my highschool art classes.)

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku Dreadhawk may be famous one day Dreadhawk may be famous one day Dreadhawk's Avatar
    On the battlefield, hiding behind you with a knife...
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange 216
    Suffering is not dislike. Suffering is inconvenience, working hard, and putting off other more leisurly activities so that you may achieve your goal (in this case).
    Well, I don't think that working toward a goal instead of giving it handed to you is inconvenient, do you?

Besides, you can't just learn something that would takes year(s) to learn in minutes.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

If you think that's suffering you need to get a reality check. Suffering is NOT mearly being inconvenienced. Working hard is an acheivment. And putting off other activities is mearly self discipline. Something we need alot more of in society.

Suffering is losing everything you have. Seeing every one of your children die before they reach the age of 10. Being tortured for daring to dissagree with someone. And when your a teenager, suffering is being told your uncool.

suf·fer
    v. suf·fered, suf·fer·ing, suf·fers
    v. intr.

1. To feel pain or distress; sustain loss, injury, harm, or punishment.
    2. To tolerate or endure evil, injury, pain, or death.
    3. To appear at a disadvantage: “He suffers by comparison with his greater contemporary” (Albert C. Baugh).

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Idiot Impaler Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216's Avatar
    Thanks

It's more inconvenient than if you COULD learn it in minutes. Otherwise you could choose to not learn it at all. A lot of people choose to drop-out. Why? If school is not suffering, not inconvenience, not hard work, and not causing them to put off leisure activities, then why drop-out?
    TV does not require suffering. It does however, make a lot of people happy. It's a false happiness though, just like Prozac. Suffering in the common human's mind (especially in America) is effort.
    To quote yet another philosopher, "Life is one long search for happiness." and another said that "The body is a cage for the soul. The body causes desires, which cause misery. The only true happiness, is in death." Thus making the statement that to be TRULY happy, you must die. Was dying not in the definition for suffering?
    Last edited by Agent Orange 216; Sep 21, 2005 at 07:58 PM.

See Dick Buy Beer, See Dick not Tip, See Dick try again, See Dick Go thirsty. Moral of the Story: Don't be a Dick.

Otaku Dreadhawk may be famous one day Dreadhawk may be famous one day Dreadhawk's Avatar
    On the battlefield, hiding behind you with a knife...
    Thanks

So, suffering is effort? I'm putting an effort to reply to your posts, is it inconvenient? not at all, so then it wouldn't be suffering now would it?

Thanks

Yes, it would be considered suffering because you're replying with a desire or end goal in mind.
    Desire, suffer, happiness. This is how all things work. Your definition of suffering matters not here. Happiness without suffering is false.
    Just as a prescription of Prozac runs out, so does any other type of false happiness.
    Last edited by Agent Orange 216; Sep 21, 2005 at 08:06 PM.

Thanks

Yes, it would be considered suffering because you're replying with a desire or end goal in mind.
    Desire, suffer, happiness. This is how all things work. Your definition of suffering matters not here. Happiness without suffering is false.
    Just as a prescription of Prozac runs out, so does any other type of false happiness.
    Let me show you that definition again anyway.
    suf·fer
    v. suf·fered, suf·fer·ing, suf·fers
    v. intr.

1. To feel pain or distress; sustain loss, injury, harm, or punishment.
    2. To tolerate or endure evil, injury, pain, or death.
    3. To appear at a disadvantage: “He suffers by comparison with his greater contemporary” (Albert C. Baugh).

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Put simply, your definition of suffering is BS. It's an excuse for angst. It reminds me of a friend I had in highschool who once gave a performance that would have made you think she was clapped in irons every night and forced to do menial labor... because her step-father asked her to clean out the car (it was already nearly spotless). This attitude of "I am suffering the instant I must put out an effort to do anything" is the excuse of the lazy. It's an attitude of entitilement. Well guess what? You're not entitled to anything you don't work for. You're not suffering. You're not even picked on. If you don't work for what you get you are however a burden on others. So perhaps they're the ones suffering.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast