Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Racism and Racist Remarks

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Racism and Racist Remarks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

In another thread, some members have made the comment that it's okay for a black man to call a black 'Nigger', but it's not okay for a white man to call a black 'Nigger' because of the differences on the 'intent' of it's usage. So, is a term, or a image, or a concept is condered racist by definition, or is it racist by intent???

Take for example these postal stamps recently issued by the goverment of Mexico...

Now clearly, the goverment of Mexico did not intend to make a racial statement by issuing these stamps, so do these images represent a common cartoon image from the past, or are they reminders of a racial sterotype from more sinister times..

Image is from the MSNBC webposting U.S.: Mexican stamp fuels 'racial stereotypes'
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8410111/

Mexico, U.S. in new spat over 'racist' stamps
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...sa_racism_dc_3

NLPC Says Jesse Jackson Complaints About Racist Mexican Stamps Ring Hollow;Toyota Sponsored Louis Farrakhan Speech at Jesse Jackson Conference
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...h_at_jesse_jac

Mexico Defends Stamp of Black Character
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor..._controversy_8
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Racism and Racist Remarks

I think all of them can be considered racist in some aspects. It really depends on how it was intended. Also some may interpret something racist and others wont. For example tom and jerry cartoons. The origional unedited versions had racial stereotypes in them. I personally dont see them as racist, just as a example of how it was back then. But to some blacks its very offensive and hateful.

mei
    Newbie mei may be famous one day mei may be famous one day mei's Avatar
    Thanks

about the term "nigger," I'm guessing that african americans understand each other and knows what it feels like to be called that term by whites... I mean, the history and intentions behind that word (back to slavery at least) is awful.. so even if it's a joke, a white saying that to a black could be offensive while when blacks say it amongst themselves could be considered a joke. But this is a generalization, because I have friends (african american) who don't mind being called that by their close white buddies who they trust. *shrug*

Newbie checo may be famous one day checo may be famous one day
    Thanks

nigger is a word that should not be said (not even blacks them selves) or any other word intendid for racisim, i am a chicano (mexican american) and if any one should call me a wet back i would beat the shit out of them

Domme Kasai may be famous one day Kasai may be famous one day Kasai's Avatar
    Thanks

Being an African American female I feel my race should never use a term that was intended to hurt us. Then again, society has plenty black on black violence. What we need to understand is that the term 'nigger' has so much emotion and history in it....We need to retire it.

Believe anything can become racist by intent.
    Seduced by Flesh

Newbie checo may be famous one day checo may be famous one day
    Thanks

ya i agree

Otaku Meiwaku may be famous one day Meiwaku may be famous one day Meiwaku's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mei
    about the term "nigger," I'm guessing that african americans understand each other and knows what it feels like to be called that term by whites... I mean, the history and intentions behind that word (back to slavery at least) is awful.. so even if it's a joke, a white saying that to a black could be offensive while when blacks say it amongst themselves could be considered a joke. But this is a generalization, because I have friends (african american) who don't mind being called that by their close white buddies who they trust. *shrug*
    That's the problem they think of it as a joke. And it should never be thought of as a joke. If they are saying it like it's a joke obviously they have no idea how degrading and hurtful the word is and don't know the history behind it at all.

It's hypocritical to say they can say it so carelessly like it's no big deal and then anyone else is not even allowed to utter the word. They had a whole episode on this on the TV show 'Boston Public' where a white teacher wanted to teach the book 'Nigger' and he wasn't allowed because he was white so they had a black teacher teach it instead.

The word is very powerful and I don't believe it should be used for whatever reason. And if it is used there shouldn't be this hypocritical attitude surrounding it. If they actually cared they wouldn't use it so loosely. I hate to use this as an example but it's the only one I can think of to get my point across which is, how many jewish people do you see joking around to each other about throwing them in gas chambers and concentration camps and walking around nazi saluting. Not to many I can tell you that. 'Nigger' means to the black slaves what the nazi symbol and salute means to the jewish.
    - "Ash: Gimme some sugar, baby."-

Otaku ArchangeL_1979 may be famous one day ArchangeL_1979 may be famous one day ArchangeL_1979's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes I agree with everyone......it doesn't matter if its a joke or not......it is still degrading to hear a white man say "nigger" to a black man.

It just doesn't sound right!

Anime 4-Lyf!
    ANiMe 4-LYF!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast