Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Racism and Racist Remarks

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Racism and Racist Remarks

Me being half black, it hurts me to hear the word regardless and i never use it amongst friends or whattever. Just not something i feel i need to say and see no need for it.

11:11 Delerium may be famous one day Delerium may be famous one day Delerium's Avatar
    Thanks

As long as people dont say anything racist to my face I'm fine. Pretty much everyone I knwo has been racist in one form or another so its going to happen, but there is a big difference between thinking something and flat out doing it or saying it to people. Being a white guy I dont really feel like there is anything anyone can say to me racially that would offend me but I know if I said anything to a minority they would get pretty upset, well at least some would. So in answer to yoru question I think its all three. It is a term that people give to their image and when people's images are looked down on or made fun of people get upset. Even if it may not be said in a racist way, it is now considered by defination just that, racist. I dont think intent has much to do with it because I know if I say "nigger" in front of a black man, even if its not projected at him, he's gonna get pissed off. Now as long as they respect me and dont call me cracker or whatever other word they have to be derogatory of a white person I'm fine with respecting their race.

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

Of course, it's degrating. I feel that the Mexican govt. should apologize for it, even if it was unintentional. I don't feel anyone should use a derogatory remark that was originally intended to be degrading, even if it is used amongist members of a mutual race. To me, it shows that you have no respect for your own race. My brother runs around calling me "Cracker" and I don't like it and expressed my feelings about it several times to him. I think it's just disrespectful to yourself and everyone else.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

Devoted Otaku Quick Words Champion, Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion, Mah Jongg Garden Champion, Haunted House Champion Cheza may be famous one day Cheza may be famous one day Cheza's Avatar
    Thanks

Arrow Re: Racism and Racist Remarks

Quote Originally Posted by checo
    i am a chicano (mexican american) and if any one should call me a wet back i would beat the shit out of them
    I personally agree... I have been discriminated and I have fought back I don't let people stomp all over me....People in america have to realize that Anglo-Saxons (spl??) are not the main race anymore....(It's Hispanics and African Americans ) the hispanic race has quadrupled in the past 5 years... although some people don't want to admit it .....WE R TAKING OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (yay!!!) I guess people are just gonna have to deal with that.... As long as someone doesn't say anything rascist to me I'm good....
    If they really had a desire to live, they would've been more aware of how easy it is to die.

ruler of mune667 deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667's Avatar
    Thanks

i think it depends on how you say what ever comment you make. take the golliwogs for instance, they where perfectly fine, no body really questioned them, until whoever wrote noddy made them the characters who where always did bad, now the blackness of the toy was brought to attention.
    i am the urban monky
    look to the mune

Otaku Spartan117 may be famous one day Spartan117 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

In another thread, some members have made the comment that it's okay for a black man to call a black 'Nigger', but it's not okay for a white man to call a black 'Nigger' because of the differences on the 'intent' of it's usage. So, is a term, or a image, or a concept is condered racist by definition, or is it racist by intent???

Take for example these postal stamps recently issued by the goverment of Mexico...

Now clearly, the goverment of Mexico did not intend to make a racial statement by issuing these stamps, so do these images represent a common cartoon image from the past, or are they reminders of a racial sterotype from more sinister times..

Image is from the MSNBC webposting U.S.: Mexican stamp fuels 'racial stereotypes'
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8410111/

Mexico, U.S. in new spat over 'racist' stamps
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...sa_racism_dc_3

NLPC Says Jesse Jackson Complaints About Racist Mexican Stamps Ring Hollow;Toyota Sponsored Louis Farrakhan Speech at Jesse Jackson Conference
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...h_at_jesse_jac

Mexico Defends Stamp of Black Character
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor..._controversy_8
    I know Mexicans and they can be very racist, including to themeselves. The fact is that Mexicans are a mixed people and many of them are part black or part asian. The character is from a comic similar to the Archie comics here in the US. Many Mexicans don't like it because they think its stupid to put a comic book character on a stamp but they don't see it as racist. This stamp wasn't meant to be racist, but some could see it as racist.
    Last edited by Spartan117; Jul 05, 2005 at 03:44 PM.

Devoted Otaku N.Y._Soulja may be famous one day N.Y._Soulja may be famous one day N.Y._Soulja's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheza
    I personally agree... I have been discriminated and I have fought back I don't let people stomp all over me....People in america have to realize that Anglo-Saxons (spl??) are not the main race anymore....(It's Hispanics and African Americans ) the hispanic race has quadrupled in the past 5 years... although some people don't want to admit it .....WE R TAKING OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (yay!!!) I guess people are just gonna have to deal with that.... As long as someone doesn't say anything rascist to me I'm good....

I third this, I am an American just like everybody else, except I have a different background....................... WTF am I talking about, everybody has a different background! You call me a wet back, I won't hesitate to descriminate you, and kick your ass

But we the Latins and blacks must have atleast HALF of the United States populated by us.............................
    You should stop talking about your dreams, and start making them.

http://kuv319.tumblr.com/

There is something so human in the desire to never give up, while at the same time, never giving it your all?

Sib
    Otaku Sib may be famous one day Sib may be famous one day Sib's Avatar
    Thanks

I think the already thin line dividing a simple joke/unintentional racism from actual racism itself is becomming more and more blurred as political correctness runs ever more rampant in our society. Far too often we hold a real, dedicated racists and somebody who tells a tasteless joke accountable for the same crime. It's just wrong.

Not living in a very ethnicly diverse community, I stand out like train wreck (half Chinese). However, I allow people I know well to call me whatever they like because I trust there is no real intent of racism. I'm a little different, I acknowledge that, and I allow others to acknowledge that as well. However, I would certainly notice if somebody started talking about me in a way that was beyond a joke anyday... most poeple could. I wouldn't lash out and go crazy at them, because that's likely to only make their prejudice stronger.

As for the stamps, I really don't think that the Goverment of Mexico is trying to say anything in particular to the black community as a whole... but i'll admit that balck people have had a very turbulant entry into the western world, and can understand why they would be suspisious of those images. But I really think it's time to move on and look forward towards a future where they can look at those stamps and say, "Didn't the world suck back then?"

Hmmm... He's not technically human, so it wouldn't really be like cannibalism...
    .:Anime Relfections:.l.:SibArt (Being Updated):.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast