Thread: Random crashes

Untouchable Raven Omega may be famous one day Raven Omega may be famous one day Raven Omega's Avatar
    Thanks

Random crashes

Just open the God Damn flood gates of computer problems on me at once. Ugh.. OKAY, here's a new problem for everyone to help solve!

Lately I've been having some weird problems with my PC, and I've done a bit of work to it recently too, so here goes.

The Problem: PC randomly crashes, screen goes blank (usually says it is recieving no signal) the keyboard and mouse are unresponsive, and I have a media center that streams files from my computers HDD which says the files are unavailable. However, the PC remains on this entire time, if I shut it off (by killing the power) and start it up again everything's fine, until it randomly crashes next time.

These crashes are COMPLETELY random, they happen at different time intervals, while doing different activities, or sometimes when I'm not doing anything at all.

These started to occur about two days ago.

Recent Work: Within the last week I have switched over to a new DI-624 router from D-link for a wireless connection. So I've added in a D-link Wireless Desktop adaptor (108G). However, I have also kept my netgear ethernet card in as well and am currently running a cross over cable from my PC to media center (A modified Xbox). Recently as well, I installed the Internet Explorer 7.1 Beta, but did a system restore to go back to IE6 shortly after (it was the next day that these crashes began occuring, I have no idea if this has anything to do with it).

That's really all the work I've done to it, it's all been within the last week. I've never had anything like this happen to me before and am a bit perplexed as to what could be the cause, but very eager to find a solution.

If there's any more information I can provide just ask.

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Random crashes

Black screen of death, huh? There are soooo many possibilities, but some are more likely than others. A "no signal" to the monitor can mean a faulty video card or onboard video. This could be a driver conflict with the IE beta package (who knows what files they change in the beta, IE and the main file system of windows are closely tied). Or, you could have accidentally static shocked the motherboard or video card into faulty running- were you grounded?

That brings me to another question. Did you open the case when upgrading to wifi? Was it a PCI card or USB solution? Static can do nasty and unpredictable things to Mobos and cards.

Also, how many devices are currently running off of how much power? Is your power supply up to the task? If you have like 3 HDDs, DVD, CD, a high-power graphics cards, audio card, etc.....you could have been at the limit with most OEM power supplies (like 300 watts), and any other power drawing periphials could have crossed that fine line between stability and brownouts.

Check for driver conflicts first, because that requires no dissasembling to test.

Actually, before you do even that, check the monitor on another computer.....I feel dumb for not saying that first, but I'm lazy enough to not edit this.
    Last edited by know1; Aug 27, 2005 at 11:18 AM.

Untouchable Raven Omega may be famous one day Raven Omega may be famous one day Raven Omega's Avatar
    Thanks

I know it's not the monitor itself, because the WHOLE PC isn't working. but driver conflicts? I have no idea about that, Don't even know how I would check it.

While upgrading to Wifi, I put in a PCI wireless adaptor, so yeah, the case was opened. but it ran perfectly for 4 or 5 days until yesterday when I started getting these black outs.

I can't say I know shit about measuring the power of my components. or what the power supply is.

I have two DVD burners, two Hard Drives, 1 floppy drive, an ethernet card, old ass video card, sound card, and my wireless adaptor.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Random crashes.... These can be caused by...
    Heat build Up. (Has it been warmer lately????)
    Cheap Power supplies (in combination with heat build up)
    Power fluctuation (brownouts, power surges)
    Electronic components (RAM, Video card, Motherboard, Hard Drives) close to failure due to dust buildup, capacitors drying out, etc.
    Card Slot components working loose due to thermal cycling, or oxidation of contacts...
    Trojan/Virus infections or attacks...
    Memory Leaks in applications...
    Too many resident programs...
    Damaged binary files...

Take your pick....
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Random crashes.... These can be caused by...
    Heat build Up. (Has it been warmer lately????)
    Cheap Power supplies (in combination with heat build up)
    Power fluctuation (brownouts, power surges)
    Electronic components (RAM, Video card, Motherboard, Hard Drives) close to failure due to dust buildup, capacitors drying out, etc.
    Card Slot components working loose due to thermal cycling, or oxidation of contacts...
    Trojan/Virus infections or attacks...
    Memory Leaks in applications...
    Too many resident programs...
    Damaged binary files...

Take your pick....
    So... weak...

I'm going to guess that it's either dust or heat buildup. Earlier this afternoon I moved my computer to a more open aired area and cleaned out the dust a bit, it has yet to crash on me, but I've yet to put it back in it's place, so... hopefully it's just the dust that was causing it, if not I'll be out buying a new fan to help cool things down I suppose.

AO Angel ^^ angelan may be famous one day angelan may be famous one day angelan's Avatar
    Thanks

A can of compessed air is your friend. Remember that. Give your comp a breath of fresh air every so often...don't bother wiping it down...that's a big nono...unless you know what you're doing and it's with alcohol.

If ventalation doesn't help it....(IE: your current setup still crashes) the power supply problem sounds most likely. Try to see if there is any obscure pattern to your crashes. IE: you're accessing files from the HDs, have both DVDs turning and taxing your vid/sound cards by watching anime. If it crashes there...and not with regular usage (IE: just editing a document off your HD and listening to music and nothing else). Then I would look towards the power.

Oh and that system restore may also have damaged some of your files....ie: if the crash occurs around when you're using IE....something may not have restored from your 7.1 installation.
    -=|AnimeReflections|Live-Evil|My Trades|=-

Put your unused CPU to use for a good cause: |Folding@Home||Human Proteome Folding|

Newbie XtAzY may be famous one day XtAzY may be famous one day
    Thanks

Most random crashes are due to bad memory modules. I think you should check your memories by runnin MemTest86. If its faulty then you'll need to replace them.

Another thing could be is that your power supply is faulty too, or is not delivering enough watts. Check how many watts your power supply has. I recommend you get a name brand power supply like PC Power & Cooling... (i tihnk thats the brand)

Anti syndicate spike spiegel may be famous one day spike spiegel may be famous one day spike spiegel's Avatar
    Thanks

I had a crash before and it sucked I had to get a whole new one.

"I let all that kind of blood away" Thanks Viper