Thread: Random Crashes and Modem Problems

Lord and Master Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff's Avatar
    Thanks

Random Crashes and Modem Problems

Two problems have been driving me nuts, and I can't seem to fix either of them. They've been plagueing me for some time, so I finally give up.

Problem #1: Random Crashes:
    I recently bought SimCity 4 (Deluxe Edition) and installed it on my computer. Shortly after running it, my computer crashed on me. Not just a simple crash to Windows, instead the computer completely restarted. After bringing Windows up again and getting the "Windows has just recovered from a serious error" message I sent an error report. The response was that it was an issue with one of my drivers. I proceeded in updating windows, SimCity, and all of my drivers. That didn't work, so I restored my computer and updated the drivers again. Once again, no luck. I restored my computer again, took out the video card that runs my other montior (a cheap Nvidia GeForce MX 4000) and didn't install any other drivers. Still the computer crashes. It only happens when I play certain games (such as Morrowind and SimCity 4).

Problem #2: Modem disconnects while uploading/downloading:

This has plagued me ever since I got my satelite DSL hooked up. I believe it to be the modem. About 90% of the time I will get disconnected while uploading or downloading a file larger than 2mb. The only effect the disconnecting has is with sysreset (mirc client), instant messengers, and any further uplaoding. I can still load webpages, but that's about it. After that happens I ussually have to shut down the computer and power cycle the modem.

EDIT: 2nd problem solved...

Any help on solving these two problems would be much appreciated. ^_^
    Last edited by Zarriff; Oct 19, 2005 at 10:49 PM.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Random Crashes and Modem Problems

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Let's see now... the Nvidia MX 4000 is one of the weakest graphics chips that they still produce, and Morrowind and SimCity 4 are games that can bring all but the bleeding edge graphics cards to their knees... It sounds like you need to go into the game configuration and turn off all the 'eye candy' options...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Retired frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta's Avatar
    Thanks

After reading that post a few times I'm confused about something. Did you have two video cards installed on the computer? Seeing that you "took out the video card that runs your other monitor"

If so, what other video card is in your system? If it's of similair power, then what Len said may be the case, it could be overheating, or just getting horrendously bogged down.

Lord and Master Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff's Avatar
    Thanks

The other one is an integrated Nvidia something or other. The 4000 is more powerful than the integrated (though very cheap, and it does suck but is good enough to run dual screens) and there was never any such problem with it. The issue only arose after installing SimCity 4.

Retired frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta's Avatar
    Thanks

Well then I'd definetly look into getting a new card. Assuming you don't want to spend much, might I recommend the Radeon 9600 pro which can be had for around 70-80 dollars on Newegg.

If you have a few extra dollars to spend, the 9800 pro, a powerful performer even to this day, is available for about 125 dollars on www.newegg.com

If you've got money, pm me and I'll write essays about what the pros and cons of the current high end cards are.

I'm a GPU fiend.