Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A random science type question

PiNk HaIr FaNaTiC Boo45 may be famous one day Boo45 may be famous one day Boo45's Avatar
    Thanks

A random science type question

Was thinking about this in the shower too =P...well neway, i thought of how Earth was round and stuff..and i thought, wat if there was a hole in the north pole that went straight down to the south pole? and if there was, if u dropped down into the hole in the north pole, would u keep falling until ur falling upside down? Like when u pop out of the south pole, would u be flying into the sky? This is such a confusing question...well neway, lets say that gravity played an important role, lets say u fall into a hole in the north pole, now the earths gravitational pull will make u accelerate down towards the center and by the time u reach the middle, the gravitational pull is unable to control ur movement at the current time, so u keep falling and falling but then ur actually rising and rising cuz when u get to the south part of earth, ur not falling, but rather rising, yes i think it seems pretty connfusing, though this situation is mostlikely impossible due to the inner part of the earth being super hot (but lets assume that heat doesnt play a role in this), so neway, what do u think? Would u keep falling down from the north pole until u reach the southern side of the equater and start rising? Will u fly out of the south pole like a bullet and completely stream into the sky and out of earths gravitational field and die in space? For me this is such a mind boggling question

Otaku erosennin may be famous one day erosennin may be famous one day erosennin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Nope, you wouldn't fall out of the south pole. Infact, you'd never make it out of said hole. Terminal velocity is not enough to escape the earth's gravity, which a good part of can be attributed to the earth's condensed, superheavy, radioactive core, if I'm not mistaken. So, you would fall, and then you would pass earth's center of gravity and immediately start to be pulled in the opposite direction, never reaching the south pole at all.

Newbie Discrete may be famous one day Discrete may be famous one day Discrete's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by erosennin
    Nope, you wouldn't fall out of the south pole. Infact, you'd never make it out of said hole. Terminal velocity is not enough to escape the earth's gravity, which a good part of can be attributed to the earth's condensed, superheavy, radioactive core, if I'm not mistaken. So, you would fall, and then you would pass earth's center of gravity and immediately start to be pulled in the opposite direction, never reaching the south pole at all.
    what he said

ROCK N ROLL mamimi_rue may be famous one day mamimi_rue may be famous one day mamimi_rue's Avatar
    Upon a mound.. somewheres around ..here ?
    Thanks
    I agree. You would never reach it, but I feel, that's there's no way you could make it through to the other end, due to the core. You would be vaporized, as you went down, then I guess, you would just burn. Ehhhh, that's a really crazy question O_o
    much love to socketto
    ...what of this mongrel architect, our broken armor soon will set, past, present, and future tense...

Sib
    Otaku Sib may be famous one day Sib may be famous one day Sib's Avatar
    Thanks
    Actually, that raises a very good question. Just where would you stop? Assuming that the exact centre of earth was taken out, where would the planets centre of gravity be?

ArGH!!! Confused @.@

Hmmm... He's not technically human, so it wouldn't really be like cannibalism...
    .:Anime Relfections:.l.:SibArt (Being Updated):.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

You probably wouldn't make it to ground level of the south pole, as you'll lose a lot momentum on the way down, due to air drag. Also, the center of gravity of the earth system isn't exactly at the center of the earth's core. You have to take into account the gravity effect of the moon (which is constantly moving) as well...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Witch Hunter GallComp may be famous one day GallComp may be famous one day GallComp's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sib
    Actually, that raises a very good question. Just where would you stop? Assuming that the exact centre of earth was taken out, where would the planets centre of gravity be?

ArGH!!! Confused @.@
    If that center is removed (or taken out like you said) then you wouldnt even drop, the earth's core is the responsible for the gravity, so without it there will be no gravity and therefore nothing can drop since there is no force pulling you down.

For the thread starter, lets just think that there was a hole like that, and that the earth core wasn't supperheat so something can drop in without being incinerated. The core is pulling things inwards in any direction, so if something drops in from any of the poles it will stop at the middle, and will not go out the opposite way.

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks
    yeah, youd just end up being dust by the time anything happened......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast