Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Is rap music degrating to women?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Is rap music degrating to women?

Excuses.

Words have meanings and leave immpressions.

Words like "nigger", "ho", "nympho", "slut", and "b-tches" have very definate meanings and none of them are positive. Anyone who uses them degrades themselves and anyone listening to them. They leave a lasting impression of depravity, disrespect, and self-corruption.

Dress like a slut/player, everyone will think you're a slut/player. Talk like a slut/player, everyone will think you're an uneducated slut/player with no respect for yourself or anyone else.

nig·ger
    n. Offensive Slang

1. Used as a disparaging term for a Black person: “You can only be destroyed by believing that you really are what the white world calls a nigger” (James Baldwin).
    2. Used as a disparaging term for a member of any dark-skinned people.
    2. Used as a disparaging term for a member of any socially, economically, or politically deprived group of people: “Gun owners are the new niggers... of society” (John Aquilino).

ho
    n. pl. hos

Slang. A prostitute.

nym·pho
    n. Informal

A female who is affected with nymphomania; a nymphomaniac.

nymphomaniac

adj : (used of women) affected with excessive sexual desire [syn: nymphomaniacal] n : a woman with abnormal sexual desires

slut
    n.

1. A woman considered sexually promiscuous.
    2. A woman prostitute.
    2. A slovenly woman; a slattern.

bitch
    n.

1. A female canine animal, especially a dog.
    2. Offensive.
    1. A woman considered to be spiteful or overbearing.
    2. A lewd woman.
    3. A man considered to be weak or contemptible.
    3. Slang. A complaint.
    4. Slang. Something very unpleasant or difficult.

[vent] There is a big difference between talking about your society/culture and talking about women (or anyone) in these terms.

Comparisons have been made with other music styles and the fact that they also talk about sex. Yes, they do. They do not in general call all women prostitutes, spiteful, overbearing, and sexually abnormal however. [/vent]

I was excessivly saddened when I saw one of my favorite hip-hop artists in interveiw. She was beautiful with a lovely voice and extreamly graceful. Then she opened her mouth to talk. I was left with the lasting impression that she had no self respect or class. Her boyfriend/rapper on the other hand left me with the impression that he not only didn't have any self respect but that he didn't have any for her either. An impression based on both his apearance and his speech.

You may not like it, but that is how it is. Sorry.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie checo may be famous one day checo may be famous one day
    Thanks

raps not degrading to women men are degrading to women, the things people say wen they bust a ryhm is ther choice not raps so dont be stupid rap and mos def, common are rappers 50 cent is hip hop

Otaku BFmastermind may be famous one day BFmastermind may be famous one day BFmastermind's Avatar
    Thanks

I should have pointed this out before when I had the chance.

I'd like to ask a question to Arianna. What level of degradement are we talking about here? Because just about everything in the media(especially in the present time) can be degrading to women one way or another. Television shows, commercials, and movies can degrade women from time to time and not just rap music. The thing that bothers me the most is that women don't just happen to be degraded, they sign up to be degraded. Women in rap videos, commercials, television, and movies all know what each role offers to them(even the degrading ones) and yet they still sign up for the job basically degrading themselves. I guess dignity can be held back for the love of money, because there are more visual degradements that there are in spoken words.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree. I fail to see how someone else acting derogatory excuses poor behavior though.

If you want to know what level we're talking about walk up to your mother or sister and some other significant woman in your life and say "yo ho (nigger), how's my nympho b-tch". After they've slapped the ___ out of you, then you tell me.

If you're not comfortable saying that to your mother or sister why would you call someone elses mother or sister that, or listen to someone singing/rapping about it?

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

*~AO's Guardian Angel~* Akurei Kakudo may be famous one day Akurei Kakudo may be famous one day Akurei Kakudo's Avatar
    Thanks

oooooooo this doesnt seem like a debate anymore! *eats popcorn watching* and im sorry but if some guy said that to me i would kick the living sh*t out of him.

thanks for the sig SasuraiHell!!!!

Otaku BFmastermind may be famous one day BFmastermind may be famous one day BFmastermind's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    I agree. I fail to see how someone else acting derogatory excuses poor behavior though.

If you want to know what level we're talking about walk up to your mother or sister and some other significant woman in your life and say "yo ho (nigger), how's my nympho b-tch". After they've slapped the ___ out of you, then you tell me.

If you're not comfortable saying that to your mother or sister why would you call someone elses mother or sister that, or listen to someone singing/rapping about it?
    I hate to ask this but I just want to know. What about situations of degradement? I mean if someone did something extremely bad to you then it can be accepted that you can call them whatever you want to. Think of it like, a payback/comeback. I mean, would you just sit there and let degrading words be told to you and do nothing about it, or would you stand up and degrade them back?

This might be considered a type of an excuse, but let me add this. Would you let meaningless degrading words affect you? Do you really have to care what they say? Or would you just let them do what they do and you do what you do and leave it at that?

Newbie Shizuma_15 may be famous one day Shizuma_15 may be famous one day Shizuma_15's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Akurei Kakudo
    oooooooo this doesnt seem like a debate anymore! *eats popcorn watching* and im sorry but if some guy said that to me i would kick the living sh*t out of him.
    Id do it to you and run... ... but theres no point to argue its gonna happen and we cant do anything about it well unless we guys die or something but i doubt that.

Otaku Meiwaku may be famous one day Meiwaku may be famous one day Meiwaku's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna

Exactly, good example.

Just because the media and other genre's of music can be degrading to women, the topic at hand is 'is rap music degrading to women?'. Going into other areas just would make the discussion too broad and off topic fast.

That said,
    The thing that bothers me the most is that women don't just happen to be degraded, they sign up to be degraded. Women in rap videos, commercials, television, and movies all know what each role offers to them(even the degrading ones) and yet they still sign up for the job basically degrading themselves. I guess dignity can be held back for the love of money, because there are more visual degradements that there are in spoken words.
    I know I generalize and I have been accused of it, but I have to say this is one hell of a generalization you've just made. Most women do not and will not sign up to degrade themselves on national television.

The women who dance in the music video's are dancers and what they do is their profession. It's pretty much their job to dance how their asked and yeah they do it for money because it's their jobs. They are a small majority of women and they do not represent all women. And even though they agree to degrade themselves doesn't give anyone the right to assume that women can be freely degraded because of a select few. That is like saying "She deserved to be raped because she whore a skirt and a tank top."
    - "Ash: Gimme some sugar, baby."-

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast