Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Is rap music degrating to women?

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Is rap music degrating to women?

Quote Originally Posted by datapimp
    Sure, it can be degrading just as any music can. Rock certainly did it's fair share and you had just as many people waving torches back in the day about the 'horrors of rock music' that we do now with rap. People will always dislike what they do not understand, a lot of these guys came up from the dirt ~ straight ghetto and they rose to what they are now with their music. I for one respect that, even if I don't dig the subject matter. If they what they rap about is degrading to women it's because that is what they grew up with, thats what the live with now and what is popular. Sure you can tell them to go make a rap album thats all cute and bubbly and praises jesus, but is that what it's about ? It's about their expression, their expiriences coming up and then living on top, not your reaction to it. As someone said earlier, if you want the subject matter to change the social climate has to change, right now sex and scandal sells so thats what they rap about...
    Yes, but it wasnt as trashy as the rap crap. It never was degrading to the level rap music is. The worst rock song dont come close to one rap song.

11:11 Delerium may be famous one day Delerium may be famous one day Delerium's Avatar
    Thanks

Honestly if I were a woman I wouldnt listen to rap because I couldnt relate to it. I have to listen to music I can relate to to enjoy it...

Back on topic, I do think it is degrading because it is, but because of the media it is in and what it stands for people are willing to let it slide for whatever reason. I guess it doesnt piss enough people off, I dont know.

But look at the flip side, there are plenty of female vocalized music that rips men as well, so its not like men are the only ones degrading women, it works both ways. Men just use it alot more often and more noticable.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

^ that's true. You don't hear swear words nearly as often in the degree it is in rap. It's almost not a rap song if it doesn't have some sort of swear.

Otaku MuMu Champion Shade/K' Heart may be famous one day Shade/K' Heart may be famous one day Shade/K' Heart's Avatar
    Thanks

i'm one of those, i don't choose sides, i just stand and watch the debate. I'll make an exception today though. I'm a guy (don't let the avatar fool you, that's my sweetheart.) and when it comes to women in those videos.... I cringe. I mean, I can't stand to look at women doing the stuff they do. I'd never let my girl do that stuff (not that she'd want to either...) I use to like most rap, but don't listen to it much anymore. All music has the potential to be good, but when all you do is talk about sex or what not..... it's just not right. It's sad that what could have been such a good art form, somehow got destroyed, like many other things in this God Forsaken World.....

Far be it for me to be anything special, when the only special thing I desire with me, is the special person I share my gifts with.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pyoro-pyoro
    Can you really say it's degrading when most young folks I see act that way?? If they are given the chance to shake their assets with a star, you can wonder how many girls would say yes. SO, in a way it's degrading to women who are dignifed and NO to those who thinks bling-bling to da ching-ching is cool or whatever hip word is used now to be cool
    I would respectfully disagree. I would also like to know when people started to think that if someone chose to do something all of a sudden it was exempt from being degrading? If a woman or man decides to become a prostitute just because they chose it themselves doesn't stop them from degrading themselves by their choice. And really, isn't that what all of them are doing? The men sell out for the "babes and c$sh" and the women prostitute themselves for the "bling".

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by pyoro-pyoro
    ... here's my two cents: most rap are degrading to at least something, white guys, black guys, women, and even michael jackson. Can you really say it's degrading when most young folks I see act that way?? If they are given the chance to shake their assets with a star, you can wonder how many girls would say yes. SO, in a way it's degrading to women who are dignifed and NO to those who thinks bling-bling to da ching-ching is cool or whatever hip word is used now to be cool
    The problem is, the issue isn't limited to the influence of the youth of this country, it also includes the view point that rap music presents to the rest of the world...

Quote from a AP news article posted today...
    ... said he witnessed the phenomenon recently while in Africa. Touring a village in Mozambique, he came across a shack on which someone had scrawled the name of slain rapper Tupac Shakur.

"I was asking the kids: What is it about Tupac? Why is that there? I kept asking why. They were saying we want to dress like you dress, wear all the things you wear, talk how you talk."
    and...
    "It's real important to have balance of the imagery. Yes, there are people who fire guns in the street, but there's also doctors who go to work in those areas to feed their children."

The gangster lifestyle is celebrated in black communities for its strength, Smith said. "That's the image of survivors. The dude that sells the drugs or has the guns or is most willing to kill somebody is the dude that has the greatest potential for survival, or at least that's the perception. So that's what people strive for.

"What I'm trying to present and what a lot of other artists are presenting is a different approach to survival and a more sound approach to survival. It's a more long-term approach based on intellect and skills that can't be taken away from you: The smartest dude survives the best."
    The full article can be read here...
    Will Smith Urges Rappers to Be Role Models
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050627/...RrBHNlYwM3NjI-
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku dark frog may be famous one day dark frog may be famous one day dark frog's Avatar
    Thanks

i am a girl duh but i don't think rap music is degrading to women i have listend to rap music since i was 4 so no its not and i am not 19 by the way
    LIFES NOT A GARDEN SO STOP ACTING LIKE A STUPID HOE.

Otaku Meiwaku may be famous one day Meiwaku may be famous one day Meiwaku's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dark frog
    i am a girl duh but i don't think rap music is degrading to women i have listend to rap music since i was 4 so no its not and i am not 19 by the way
    You've actually never listened to the lyrics then have you. Maybe this will open your eyes a bit.

Man this hoe you can have her, when I'm done I ain't gon keep her
    Man, b*tches come and go, every nigga pimpin know
    Yup 50 cent at his finest.

With a body that rides all sexual
    I got a stick, I'll ride right next to you
    Do a doughnut, and cut, and I'll open it up
    On the freeway, d*ck in her mouth, foot on the clutch
    Rule b*tch, not givin' a f*ck
    Wow this isn't depicting women as sex objects at all

You f*ck with us, b*tch, something gettin' broken
    Your leg, arm, jaw, nose, pick a part.
    Ahh promoting violence toward women, how manly.

...gangsta rap, a popular West Coast music style distinguished by lyrics that graphically describe scenes of gunplay, sex, drug use and violence, often depicts women negatively; their roles rarely extend beyond being kidnapped, held hostage, brutally gang raped at gunpoint, or murdered. 24 Studies have found that exposure to rap music does, in fact, "tend to lead to a higher degree of acceptance of the use of violence (including violence against women)."
    One woman is raped every two minutes in the United States.
    Every nine seconds in America a woman is physically abused.
    I'm not saying Rap is to blame, but some of the songs do promote abuse or non-empathetic views on women.

There is no simple explanation for the frequency of violent crimes against women, but it has been suggested that one contributing factor may be the way women are portrayed in the media. Women are often depicted as victims of violence or as sexual objects, and researchers have found that these media portrayals may influence how women are viewed and treated in society.
    http://www.mediascope.org/pubs/ibriefs/vwm.htm the whole article here (which doesn't just single out rap music)

and here is a really intreasting read http://www.albany.edu/scj/jcjpc/vol8is2/armstrong.html
    - "Ash: Gimme some sugar, baby."-

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast