Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Is rap music degrating to women?

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Is rap music degrading to women?

Quote Originally Posted by sukotsu9
    I'm not hoping to defend degrading rap here, but just about every Led Zeppelin song (at least on II) is about promiscuous sex ("Living Lovin Maid"?! That's pretty degrading). And NY Soulja: Led Zepp is white.

And crap is at the forefront of rap today, so maybe it will change again. But here's a case study: "Candy Shop" by 50cent. Sure, the music & rhythm are just like the successful "Magic Stick" w/Lil Kim (and better than 50's first CD). But do you think the sexual innuendo and overt explanation are degrading to women or just exploitation of profanity for the sake of record sales?
    Yes led Zepp. sang about sex, but its the way it was done. Led Zepp were mostly love songs, not "I did that ho last night, yo"!! Also led zepp. didnt sing about killing cops or dissing whites or any other race.

Otaku Kiri79 may be famous one day Kiri79 may be famous one day Kiri79's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Is rap music degrating to women?

Quote Originally Posted by narrator
    Now Hip-Hop on the other hand is an actual artform performed from the heart in alleys and record stores ect. that embraces poetry & the freedom of speech and ACTUALLY HAS A POINT. For instance, 50 Cent, Nelly, Ja Rule & Lil Jon are Rappers. People like Mos Def, Common, The Pharcyde, Jurassic-5, Kanye West are Hip-Hop artists. So like i stated above... Hip-Hop :
    I agree with most of you said. I love hip hop more than rap. And to just say it, cause I know people are gonna be asking it, Tupac is like a mix of rap and hip-hop.
    I'm supporting N.Y._Soulja and anyone else who agree that rap isn't degrating.
    Last edited by Kiri79; Jun 29, 2005 at 08:57 AM.

Otaku sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kastelic4444
    Yes led Zepp. sang about sex, but its the way it was done. Led Zepp were mostly love songs, not "I did that ho last night, yo"!! Also led zepp. didnt sing about killing cops or dissing whites or any other race.
    True, they left politics to Neil Young. But c'mon, the lyrics to "Black Dog" are:
    "Hey, hey baby, when you walk that way,
    Watch your honey drip, can't keep away."
    That's not just degrading, it's vulgar! The rest of the song is about golddiggers the Yin Yang Twins couldn't even handle! For the time they performed in, before the Love Generation broke the barriers of sexual pretension, Led Zeppelin was over the top. Is 50cent saying "I'll let you lick the lollipop" any different? Sex sells (music, TV, video games...), and sacrificing quality (let's say 'flow' for rap music) at the expense of cheap slander (v. women, v.cops, v.record companies) doesn't make an artist.

Well, maybe a con artist. People seem to love rappers' worst songs...

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sukotsu9
    True, they left politics to Neil Young. But c'mon, the lyrics to "Black Dog" are:
    "Hey, hey baby, when you walk that way,
    Watch your honey drip, can't keep away."
    That's not just degrading, it's vulgar! The rest of the song is about golddiggers the Yin Yang Twins couldn't even handle! For the time they performed in, before the Love Generation broke the barriers of sexual pretension, Led Zeppelin was over the top. Is 50cent saying "I'll let you lick the lollipop" any different? Sex sells (music, TV, video games...), and sacrificing quality (let's say 'flow' for rap music) at the expense of cheap slander (v. women, v.cops, v.record companies) doesn't make an artist.

Well, maybe a con artist. People seem to love rappers' worst songs...
    I dont know maybe its because whenever I hear rap or hip hop, I get a bad headache.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ryke12
    Since this argument HAS turned rather one-sided (sorry, N.Y._Soulja, but you're just not doing a good job of defending), what with Arrianna being decidedly anti-rap, I've come in to be pro-rap.
    *ahem* Can I refer you back to my vey first post?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    For the record I loved Rap when it first hit the scene. Now? Whenever I see some guy dripping in his "filthy lucre" surounded by bevy's of gyrating hips....I turn it off. It's the modern day harem without the responsibility and it's just as degrading.
    Put simply the amount of crap now days is overwelming. I'll leave my hip waders in the closet if you don't mind. If you can actually prove me wrong without resorting to excuses for their behavior or lyrics I would love to hear it but it sounds to me like you actually agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryke12
    Thus, most Rap IS degrading to women. I don't see how you can argue against it. BUT, Rap is a very fine music genre all on it's own, so long as you are prepared to wade through loads of crap to find a couple gems
    The saddest part about this is that the black community is in crises. With 70% of children being born out of wedlock and gang violence overwelming the community these "icons" are only adding to the problem. Idealizing the very problem only makes such behavior appear attractive to the children that are their future. Is that the future they really want or do they even care?

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku Meiwaku may be famous one day Meiwaku may be famous one day Meiwaku's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri79
    I agree with most of you said. I love hip hop more than rap. And to just say it, cause I know people are gonna be asking it, Tupac is like a mix of rap and hip-hop.
    I'm supporting N.Y._Soulja and anyone else who agree that rap isn't degrating.
    Just because you love something doesn't mean you should be unreasonably bias. We've found lots of lyrics that degrade women and if you took the time to read them you would see for yourselves. I'm glad you love rap, but it doesn't mean you hate it all of a sudden if you agree that it's degrading. It's fruitless to keep saying it's not with hard proof. It's like saying "So and so didn't murder so and so" even when they have it on tape showing the whole thing happening.

I am glad you're opinion is your opinion N.Y._Soulja. But in cases like these opinions are useless against hard evidence. Show some hard evidence that rap isn't degrading to women and maybe then people will take you more seriously. This is not an topic where opinions will rule over proof.

With that we're not telling you to hate rap or hip hop but it does degrade women. If my favorite band wrote a song degrading women or made a racist song, I would call them pricks and probably hate the song. But I would still love the band.
    I don't let what I love get in the way of what is right and wrong, being unreasonably bias just makes you look stubborn for stupid reasons.
    - "Ash: Gimme some sugar, baby."-

Newbie Tsunami Rose may be famous one day Tsunami Rose may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri79
    Alot of people say that. One thing on the news said that 50 cent's Candy Shop song was really degrating, along with the Ying Yang twin's Whisper Song. I don't agree. I love rap, and really, not all rap music is like that. The girls in the video choose to be in the video. Rap isn't all that degrating, is it?
    I agree, they do choose to be in thoes videos, and they get paid all too well.

Newbie kogomi88 may be famous one day kogomi88 may be famous one day
    Thanks

well i think it is because it gives men the idea that girls are easy, and hoes. it is also a bad example for teens no wonder we have high teen birth rate because of rap. some rap lyrics are so stupid, for example songs like "she's my b**ch" or things like that. it disrespects women and makes us feel like crap, like we aren't worth sh*t. so ya rap is degrading and also a bad example

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 ... LastLast