Thread: Ray Bradbury

Otaku erosennin may be famous one day erosennin may be famous one day erosennin's Avatar
    Thanks

Ray Bradbury

I've been reading alot of Ray Bradbury's work lately. If you don't know who that is, all I can say is you should. I just now finished reading From the Dust Returned, published in 2000, but first conceptualized in 1945. The man has a way of story telling that is simply captivating. The most striking things about his books, however, for me at least, are actually the interviews and commentaries with and by him about the stories themselves. Let me say right now that this is a rambling post. I doubt very much that I'm actually going anywhere with this.

One of the things that struck home with me when I first started reading his stories years ago was how detailed they were. Keep in mind that was me in something like my freshmen year of highschool. There wasn't any more appreciation that I knew of other than liking, more or less, how it was written. I didn't have an appreciation for the sheer depth of the characters, nor the actual substance or ideas presented. If it seemed well written and was in a genre I liked, well, heck, it was good. I've since learned that the very act of living changes your perception on what's good writing and what isn't, and it doesn't necessarily have to do with anything I've just mentioned.

Think about that for a moment, especially about the depth of characters. What do I mean by depth? Sure, the main character(s) in a novel may be a filled out, bordering on the real person. But if you were to take a supporting character out of a novel you like, would you be able to write an entirely seperate novel in the same setting about them? That's something I really like about Bradbury. Not only is he wonderful at describing a setting, but each one of the characters has a history. More often than not, this history doesn't even appear in the novel itself, and you have to read the commentaries and interviews to even learn about it. Nonetheless, these unwritten character histories dictate how the character interacts with the setting so well that even minor characters border with the real. They're not just cardboard cut-outs surrounding the main character with color and filler.

There have been multiple times, after reading Fahrenheit 451 again, that I've realized that a book could be written about Beatty Black, right up to the point of his death. What's more, because of the scant history I've learned of from the interview I read (which you can find in the 50th anniversairy edition), I think it would probably be damned good.

Anyway, I would suggest reading Bradbury's stuff. I guess this would be as good a place as any to post any particular insights or things you just plain found nifty about your favorite authors. I'm ever looking for new material.

TCR Owner and Operator Ninrev Sirgem may be famous one day Ninrev Sirgem may be famous one day Ninrev Sirgem's Avatar
    The land of the Gooch(Goochland), in Virginina. USA
    Thanks
    Yes. You should also read his work entitle Dandelion Wine. It is quite good.
    Trars.com/forums <---The newest hot rpg place

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks
    One of the best writers ever no contest. Fahrenheit 451 is just one of those timeless classics in science fiction that seems to get better everytime you read it. One gifted dude he is.

TCR Owner and Operator Ninrev Sirgem may be famous one day Ninrev Sirgem may be famous one day Ninrev Sirgem's Avatar
    Thanks
    They did a horrible injustice when they called a movie. Farenheit 911. God...the book was so...much better. Ugh. They need to make a remake of that movie 2. ^_^ I would watch it.

Otaku erosennin may be famous one day erosennin may be famous one day erosennin's Avatar
    Thanks
    according to the interview in the back, Mel Gibson is working on directing a remake of the movie.

Thanks
    I like the idea of the remake. I just hope Mel is not the main character. The person in the movie, what was it....Guy Montag...Is very young. He would not suit the role. Maybe as the fire chief though...

Thanks
    actually, I read up some more on it. The interview was done in 2000. Apparently, Mel is neither in nor directing the film, but instead another well renowned director that also did The Majestic and the Shawshank Redemption. Production was supposed to be started early this year.

Thanks

Thumbs up

I saw both of those and was greatly impressed. I hope to see it!