Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reformatting Hard drive

Newbie Brother may be famous one day Brother may be famous one day Brother's Avatar
    Thanks

Reformatting Hard drive

My system discs aren't working so i tried reformatting my hard drive using MS-DOS or "Command Prompt". Although, I'm getting a message saying it cannot run because volume is being used by another process. It asked if i wanted to force a dismount and a selected yes, but it didn't work. Any way of me fixing this?

In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Reformatting Hard drive

I am not sure about XP, but back in old win 98 you have to boot into dos and not windows then use msdos prompt, cuz it just doesn't work (window is still running)

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Newbie Brother may be famous one day Brother may be famous one day Brother's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, I am a semi-n00b to this.... So, can you tell me how to boot into dos? =/ Thanks.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

okay actually im a semi-noob at this too, so i'll give you as much "sure-facts" as possible without any errors

if your computer has a floppy disk drive, and you should have a boot disk make your computer boot from your floppy first instead of harddrive

and back up your stuff first too

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something

Thanks

Thanks, but, My system discs won't work so im trying to do this manually.

I have figured out how to boot into MS-DOS but im still getting the same error.....

Thanks

that's because youre booting to C:\> perhaps?? your boot disk is suppose to have files necessary to boot to your floppy drive and have the files to format your computer

regarding what files you need you might need someone like LenMiyata's caliber to help you

sorry dude

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

If you have the Windows XP installation CD, (and boot from the CD) the installation process should give you the option of formatting the HD partition. (Delete the existing partition, re-create it, then you should be able to format it...)

Otherwise, pyoro-pyoro is correct. You need a DOS bootable floppy disk with the 'fdisk' and 'format' command (all of the same DOS version), or one of the commericial disk partition utilities to format your C: drive...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Before you go nuking your drive(s) what is it doing excactly when you try to boot? Does it give you a "POST" code error (beeps kinda like 3 consecutive short beeps and 1 long one for example) does it just display a message, blank screen etc... I say this because you said you where a semi noobe at this and your HD may not be the problem. I am A+ certified so maybe I can help. Also in case it is your HD what OS are you running?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast