Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Religious Holidays in School

Otaku Vaines may be famous one day Vaines may be famous one day Vaines's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Religious Holidays in School

Quote Originally Posted by Sei-chan
    Oo.

They don't need to announce a holiday for EVERYONE. "Yeah, everyone gets school off, because those three muslim kids over there are going to be celebrating Eid Al-Fitr, the biggest celebration in the muslim year. Since it's important to them, everyone gets the day off, okay?"

That's dumb.
    I disagree. They get Christian Christmas (both Catholic/Protestant and Orthodox), which I know many Muslims don't care at all.

And I live in Europe, in my country many muslim holidays are allowed.

Otaku Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vaines
    First thing, one thing's true: if all the religions' holidays (buddhism, islam, christian, etc) became real, there would be somewhat too many holidays and too differently separated to have a properly organised year of work/school/uni. However I personally believe that if a rather important percentage of the population is made of people with that belief system, that at least their biggest holidays should be taken in consideration, especially in areas where these people are the most.

However, where I live (in Europe) in the schools i know we have the holidays of almost all the beliefs (but the rarest such as mine which is Buddhism), and things are going rather smoothly.
    I agree with this its more an opinion of the comunity at a local levil then a national level. Though they realy sould have a deversity of all the belifes in the area than to go mainly by just the big 2

Domme Kasai may be famous one day Kasai may be famous one day Kasai's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vaines
    First thing, one thing's true: if all the religions' holidays (buddhism, islam, christian, etc) became real, there would be somewhat too many holidays and too differently separated to have a properly organised year of work/school/uni. However I personally believe that if a rather important percentage of the population is made of people with that belief system, that at least their biggest holidays should be taken in consideration, especially in areas where these people are the most.

Fist of all we cant discuss whether a person's belief is real, that is not the topic of this discussion, However I will be making a thread about soon.

My american government teacher said to me that if we use majority over minority or vice versa it will never work. I believe that what my teacher is saying is actually true. We cant just take the majority of the religions and just focus on that.
    Last edited by Kasai; Nov 06, 2005 at 12:21 PM.
    Seduced by Flesh

Otaku Vaines may be famous one day Vaines may be famous one day Vaines's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kasai
    Fist of all we cnt discuss whether a person's belief is real, that is not the topic of this discussion, However I will be making a thread about soon.

My american government teacher said to me that if we use majority over minority or vice versa it will never work. I believe that what my teacher is actually true. We cant just take the majority of the religions and just focus on that.
    I agree, that's why I added my second paragraph, I just wanted to have all the positions possible in my thread.

And as my philosophy teacher of first uni year said : "don't let it be a dictartoship of the majority".

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

Instead of flat out banning religous holidays, schools should actually embrace diversity. Teach kids about different holidays! Explore different cultures.

In my area, the school district banned Halloween, claming it was offensive to Wiccans and Pagans. It was interesting how the Wiccans and Pagans actually COULD CARE LESS ABOUT HALLOWEEN IN SCHOOLS. They held a big meeting, and just about everyone showed up. A very large goup of Wiccnans/Pagans came to speak. They all said that they were NOT offended. However, Halloween was banned.

My particular religous holiday (which is very important to my family) was NEVER recognized, and I never got days off from school for it. But I don't give a damn, because I am DONE with school. Ha!

Otaku Mistress Isis may be famous one day Mistress Isis may be famous one day Mistress Isis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spike'sRose
    Instead of flat out banning religous holidays, schools should actually embrace diversity. Teach kids about different holidays! Explore different cultures.

In my area, the school district banned Halloween, claming it was offensive to Wiccans and Pagans. It was interesting how the Wiccans and Pagans actually COULD CARE LESS ABOUT HALLOWEEN IN SCHOOLS. They held a big meeting, and just about everyone showed up. A very large goup of Wiccnans/Pagans came to speak. They all said that they were NOT offended. However, Halloween was banned.

My particular religous holiday (which is very important to my family) was NEVER recognized, and I never got days off from school for it. But I don't give a damn, because I am DONE with school. Ha!
    we had eed at my school lol Wiccans rule

awesome sig, thanx aiora

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

I believe that religious holidays should not have anything to do with our school system, but then again because of this mixed up we get school days off like Christmas, Thanksgiven and some other hollydays.

Otaku darkangels36 may be famous one day darkangels36 may be famous one day darkangels36's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm i always liked holiday's in school made more time for me to come on ao and play my fav games and watch my fav anime so i had no problem with it. Long live the holidaysssss!!!!
    This is the code of honor: A wounded man says to his assaliant if i live i will kill you and if i die you are forgiven: Thus this is the code of honor!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4