Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 25 to 32 of 32

Thread: Religious Holidays in School

  1. #25
    Otaku Vaines may be famous one day Vaines may be famous one day Vaines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Brussels, Belgium
    Posts
    295
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Religious Holidays in School

    Quote Originally Posted by Sei-chan
    Oo.

    They don't need to announce a holiday for EVERYONE. "Yeah, everyone gets school off, because those three muslim kids over there are going to be celebrating Eid Al-Fitr, the biggest celebration in the muslim year. Since it's important to them, everyone gets the day off, okay?"

    That's dumb.
    I disagree. They get Christian Christmas (both Catholic/Protestant and Orthodox), which I know many Muslims don't care at all.

    And I live in Europe, in my country many muslim holidays are allowed.

  2. #26
    Otaku Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Caemlyn, Andor
    Posts
    428
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: Religious Holidays in School

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaines
    First thing, one thing's true: if all the religions' holidays (buddhism, islam, christian, etc) became real, there would be somewhat too many holidays and too differently separated to have a properly organised year of work/school/uni. However I personally believe that if a rather important percentage of the population is made of people with that belief system, that at least their biggest holidays should be taken in consideration, especially in areas where these people are the most.

    However, where I live (in Europe) in the schools i know we have the holidays of almost all the beliefs (but the rarest such as mine which is Buddhism), and things are going rather smoothly.
    I agree with this its more an opinion of the comunity at a local levil then a national level. Though they realy sould have a deversity of all the belifes in the area than to go mainly by just the big 2

  3. #27
    Domme Kasai may be famous one day Kasai may be famous one day Kasai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,736
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Religious Holidays in School

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaines
    First thing, one thing's true: if all the religions' holidays (buddhism, islam, christian, etc) became real, there would be somewhat too many holidays and too differently separated to have a properly organised year of work/school/uni. However I personally believe that if a rather important percentage of the population is made of people with that belief system, that at least their biggest holidays should be taken in consideration, especially in areas where these people are the most.

    Fist of all we cant discuss whether a person's belief is real, that is not the topic of this discussion, However I will be making a thread about soon.

    My american government teacher said to me that if we use majority over minority or vice versa it will never work. I believe that what my teacher is saying is actually true. We cant just take the majority of the religions and just focus on that.
    Last edited by Kasai; Nov 06, 2005 at 12:21 PM.
    Seduced by Flesh


  4. #28
    Otaku Vaines may be famous one day Vaines may be famous one day Vaines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Brussels, Belgium
    Posts
    295
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Religious Holidays in School

    Quote Originally Posted by Kasai
    Fist of all we cnt discuss whether a person's belief is real, that is not the topic of this discussion, However I will be making a thread about soon.

    My american government teacher said to me that if we use majority over minority or vice versa it will never work. I believe that what my teacher is actually true. We cant just take the majority of the religions and just focus on that.
    I agree, that's why I added my second paragraph, I just wanted to have all the positions possible in my thread.

    And as my philosophy teacher of first uni year said : "don't let it be a dictartoship of the majority".

  5. #29
    Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Small Town, WA
    Posts
    904
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts

    Re: Religious Holidays in School

    Instead of flat out banning religous holidays, schools should actually embrace diversity. Teach kids about different holidays! Explore different cultures.

    In my area, the school district banned Halloween, claming it was offensive to Wiccans and Pagans. It was interesting how the Wiccans and Pagans actually COULD CARE LESS ABOUT HALLOWEEN IN SCHOOLS. They held a big meeting, and just about everyone showed up. A very large goup of Wiccnans/Pagans came to speak. They all said that they were NOT offended. However, Halloween was banned.

    My particular religous holiday (which is very important to my family) was NEVER recognized, and I never got days off from school for it. But I don't give a damn, because I am DONE with school. Ha!

  6. #30
    Otaku Mistress Isis may be famous one day Mistress Isis may be famous one day Mistress Isis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    um.......somewhere in ontario..
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Religious Holidays in School

    Quote Originally Posted by Spike'sRose
    Instead of flat out banning religous holidays, schools should actually embrace diversity. Teach kids about different holidays! Explore different cultures.

    In my area, the school district banned Halloween, claming it was offensive to Wiccans and Pagans. It was interesting how the Wiccans and Pagans actually COULD CARE LESS ABOUT HALLOWEEN IN SCHOOLS. They held a big meeting, and just about everyone showed up. A very large goup of Wiccnans/Pagans came to speak. They all said that they were NOT offended. However, Halloween was banned.

    My particular religous holiday (which is very important to my family) was NEVER recognized, and I never got days off from school for it. But I don't give a damn, because I am DONE with school. Ha!
    we had eed at my school lol Wiccans rule

    awesome sig, thanx aiora

  7. #31
    You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,293
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 38 Times in 36 Posts

    Re: Religious Holidays in School

    I believe that religious holidays should not have anything to do with our school system, but then again because of this mixed up we get school days off like Christmas, Thanksgiven and some other hollydays.

  8. #32
    Otaku darkangels36 may be famous one day darkangels36 may be famous one day darkangels36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Damn Missouri again!
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Religious Holidays in School

    Hmm i always liked holiday's in school made more time for me to come on ao and play my fav games and watch my fav anime so i had no problem with it. Long live the holidaysssss!!!!
    This is the code of honor: A wounded man says to his assaliant if i live i will kill you and if i die you are forgiven: Thus this is the code of honor!


Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Similar Threads

  1. Do u like school?
    By Rook in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 146
    Last Post: Nov 12, 2005, 09:13 AM
  2. Unreal school (Private for now)
    By Silent Falcon in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Aug 09, 2005, 03:21 AM
  3. School Drama
    By Lady Symphony in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: May 21, 2005, 07:10 PM
  4. Old School Anime
    By Boo45 in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Feb 04, 2005, 07:32 AM
  5. Holidays
    By Ragn0r0x in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Nov 12, 2004, 03:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts