Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Resolved: That the "FanArt" Section in the AO Gallery be Removed

Otaku Rodion may be famous one day Rodion may be famous one day Rodion's Avatar
    Thanks

Lightbulb Resolved: That the "FanArt" Section in the AO Gallery be Removed

Lately, I've been involved in a rather long and engaging PM session with one of the AOers here, and the topic involved the seemingly (take note of this word) overwhelming amount of non-anime material in the site, particularly the "Fan Art" section of the gallery. Well, my friend was claiming that AO seemed to cater and give too much attention to non-anime stuff, which is unbecoming of an anime-related website. It was almost as if he/she wanted to have the Fan Art section removed because a true Anime website should only contain Anime-related artwork. The argument seemed to be headed nowhere, simply because we were both locked in seemingly opposite poles of thought. I realized that more light would be shed on this matter if more people would participate in this discussion.

So I propose a formal debate. The title of the debate is:

Resolved, that the "FanArt" Section in the AO Gallery be Removed.

Before you begin the debate, you should state your side, as in this method:

" Affirmative. I believe that the Fan Art section of the AO Gallery be removed because a real "everything anime" website should only contain anime-related stuff."

":Thumbd: Negative. I believe that the Fan Art section of the AO Gallery be retained, because AO has to allow its members to be exposed with other forms of art and allow them to compare and contrast say, traditional art with anime art, and thus their understanding of art will be further enhanced."

I believe this could be a healthy debate. If not, then mods are welcome to lock/delete it.

You may start whenever you feel like it. Take note that although I began this topic with a seeminly formal debate format, you can opt to just express whatever you think and not really follow the format I prescribed.

-RODION
    "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all."
    - Hypatia of Alexandria

ROCK N ROLL mamimi_rue may be famous one day mamimi_rue may be famous one day mamimi_rue's Avatar
    Upon a mound.. somewheres around ..here ?
    Thanks
    ":Thumbd: Negative. I believe that the Fan Art section of the AO Gallery be retained, because AO has to allow its members to be exposed with other forms of art and allow them to compare and contrast say, traditional art with anime art, and thus their understanding of art will be further enhanced."

That's how I feel ^_^ exactly

I think that even though it's not all anime, some of it's an expression of others work, that can become compared to anime, and even encourage others to start drawing and become more involved with AO, and even walls I guess ^_^;;;

I agree, this is a healthy thread a good debate indeed
    much love to socketto
    ...what of this mongrel architect, our broken armor soon will set, past, present, and future tense...

Legendary Otaku Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra's Avatar
    Thanks

As being one of the mods on this board. I think its wrong for people to say there work isn't allowed on the gallery. WE approve it not them. If they don't like the way this site handles its Fan art then there are other "Anime Related" sites out there we don't need people like that on this forum/site/gallery/whatnot XD. I mean Most of the stuff in the fanart section is cool People take time to Draw them pictures and its not fair to them that someone wants to bash their work. I know how it is. I have had my work bashed before but it wasn't anything not Anime Related. My walls use to get very harsh feedback because I was just starting out. So mad me stop doing GFX for about 3 years.

So I know what the people fill that get bashed by the ones that think "OMG this is Animeonline.net There should be Anime Related submissions" bull Everyone on EAO dose have a right to their own opinion but its tht emods FINAL desision of what gets accepted and allowed into the gallery not some asshole that thinks just becuase EAO is an Anime site that we should stick to Anime Content

Otaku Rodion may be famous one day Rodion may be famous one day Rodion's Avatar
    Thanks
    *groan* Um, I was hoping that a mod wouldn't participate just yet, because now, since a mod has posted his view, some who may have intended to join the affirmative side might get scared or something

Oh well, let's just hope the members are mature enough to know that it's ok to express your thoughts (safely) even though the majority may think your idea is not acceptable. Because this is after all, a debate. And this process of allowing people to express their thoughts without penalty is basically what we all know as "democracy"

-RODION
    "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all."
    - Hypatia of Alexandria

Otaku NightFox may be famous one day NightFox may be famous one day NightFox's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mamimi_rue

That's how I feel ^_^ exactly
    I totaly agree with you, members should be allowed to post their works, like good drawings...Like Picard of Prof...

Love hurts...trust me I know, I really do...

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks

The fan art has to stay, because yes this is an anime-related website but thats just the basis for the place. Your free to express yourself artistically period here.... i under stand that anime is the main course here....but were not robots either. People do think about other things than anime..... good topic tho
    Last edited by narrator; Jan 13, 2005 at 11:35 AM.

Newbie KaiserD may be famous one day KaiserD may be famous one day
    Thanks
    It's funny because untill now I never had any issues with art work posted. There was still a fair amount of non anime stuff in the old AO, not by me but by others.

I wouldn't say more attention is being given to them as non-anime works, not at all. It's just that those non anime pictures happened to be good. Look at Iridianwinds (errr I forgot the new name), his anime pencil work always gets great responce and it's no wonder either!

The fact those four pieces of art (right now) happened to be fanart is a bit of a different matter. I was going to post another one soon, which someone requested of their child when they were a toddler. I bet that won't get half as much notice, that's life though and I'm not going to whine about it (and still going to post it heheh)

Any work that reflects the artist's time, effort and skill deserves feedback and support, right?

Otaku Juice may be famous one day Juice may be famous one day Juice's Avatar
    Thanks
    :Thumbd: Negative

Anime is an artform in its own right, but if u look deep enough art is all about creativity and expression. Anime is just a small piece of the whole world of art and since this site is about art and expression at its core then people should be able to express themselves in every form af art not just limited to the one part of the art world called anime. Dont get me wrong though i think anime is one of my favorite forms of art all the way.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast