Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: is it right to breed animals and kill them off to disect?

Newbie teebow may be famous one day teebow may be famous one day
    Thanks

is it right to breed animals and kill them off to disect?

i was doing year 11 biology today and we had to disect rats, and i want to know if it's right or 'human' to breed an animal just to kill it off to disect it for school student/ or just at all?
    i mean i know people say it has to be done to learn, but it just doesnt seem right.
    couldnt they do virtual disection-(keeping cost out of it) and just disect, as you see subject that are donated after they died?
    Destination is a State of Mind

Otaku kogome may be famous one day kogome may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: is it right to breed animals and kill them off to disect?

well it is nasty and utterlly wrong but i have to way of agreement soulutions:1.the animal was going to die any way 2.also u know they have the human body system it's like they disected a human

Lord and Master Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff's Avatar
    Thanks

My opinion is yes, but only if it is crucial to come across a scientific breakthrough. I don't think it's right to breed them to be disected by 20 kids in a school lab, that's just a waist of life. Insects however, those can go. Too d*** many of them anyway.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

but is being killed and dissected for educational purposes any worse then having your throat ripped out and eaten by a predator... At least animals killed for dissection have a much more 'humane' death then a wild dog, wolf, or lion would provide...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot's Avatar
    Thanks

But we make up for it, I think I heard in the news the other day that we are curing alzheimers in rats. I wonder how many rats have been cured of misc. diseases in the name of testing and research?
    Last edited by PsiKnot; Aug 18, 2005 at 11:33 PM.

Thinking is the leading cause of death among the stupid.
    Signature and Avatar made by Zackraa. Thanks!

Lord and Master Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

but is being killed and dissected for educational purposes any worse then having your throat ripped out and eaten by a predator... At least animals killed for dissection have a much more 'humane' death then a wild dog, wolf, or lion would provide...
    True, but they don't get to live a long life. Not all critters die by the teeth of another animal or the tires of a car. None of them can live out a full natural life if they're forced to die, wether it be humane or not.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarriff
    True, but they don't get to live a long life. Not all critters die by the teeth of another animal or the tires of a car. None of them can live out a full natural life if they're forced to die, wether it be humane or not.
    True, but the undeniable fact is that sooner or later, everyone dies... And there's no IF, AND or BUTS about this. And besides being 'killed' by external means, animals also die by disease, injuries, starvation, lack of water, exposure to extreme climates, drowning, etc., etc. A 'natural' death by old age is actually quite rare in the wild, and generally only occurs with animals cursed with human captivity. If a anime death for dissection is 'wrong', then what should be done with all of these other causes of 'death'???

As far as the use of 'virtual' computer dissection programs, the current 'state of the art' of these applications are quite lacking, and are little better then a text book with glossy pictures. Until the costs of 3 dimensional imaging, and force feedback comes down to affordable levels (which is likely decades away) to simulate the shapes and textures of a dissection, there is no possible substitute for the real thing...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku Metsuki Anba may be famous one day Metsuki Anba may be famous one day Metsuki Anba's Avatar
    Over there. In the bush next to your house.
    Thanks

Lab animals, mice, frogs, gigantic fat mutant worms, were bred to be used by humans. There are animals of the same type living out in the world, living a rather useless life. At least lab animals serve a purpose in life- fulfilling the needs of human beings in science.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast