Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Are RPG's getting stale?

AO Helper Word Slider Champion, Penguin Shot Champion, YetiSports 10 - The End Champion, Yetisports 2 - Orca Slap Champion, Yetisports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion Mega may be famous one day Mega may be famous one day Mega's Avatar
    Thanks

Are RPG's getting stale?

All of th RPG's these days are all alike. You have a party that levels up, you collect items, and at the end you save the world and get the girl. Where is the innovation. We need more games like Tales of Symphonia. This genre is completely saturated with redundancy. I hope FFXII doesn't let me down. Anybody else notice this?

Otaku Avatar theif#1 may be famous one day Avatar theif#1 may be famous one day Avatar theif#1's Avatar
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mega
    All of th RPG's these days are all alike. You have a party that levels up, you collect items, and at the end you save the world and get the girl. Where is the innovation. We need more games like Tales of Symphonia. This genre is completely saturated with redundancy. I hope FFXII doesn't let me down. Anybody else notice this?

yea i mean i stopped playing RPG's after playing Fable i mean it was cool but to short and if its not short it's some crap....

Do to others as you see fit

Banned Kikinaki may be famous one day Kikinaki may be famous one day Kikinaki's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well almost every RPG followed the Final Fantasy style like leveling up or so and there is definitely changes coming up in the near future. The new episode of Final Fantasy is going to be, from what i've heard, a whole different game from the previous ones. Also IMO we need more games like Fable and Kingdom Hearts, cause those games are, i think, more entertaining from the old school RPGs.
    Last edited by Kikinaki; May 03, 2005 at 05:52 PM.

Untouchable Raven Omega may be famous one day Raven Omega may be famous one day Raven Omega's Avatar
    Thanks
    I haven't got much of a problem with RPGs these days, but I tend to follow S.RPG's a ltitle more where you get a different system and sometimes some innovative plots. Take Disgaea, or Phantom Kingdom for example, where you're an overlord of hell trying to gain power and respect.

There are some standard RPG games out there that show difference from the usual like Digital Devil Saga, where you feast on your fallen enemies in acts of canibalism to gain strength.

Otaku Endless Flight 2 Champion Dnite may be famous one day Dnite may be famous one day Dnite's Avatar
    Thanks
    well, maybe they are getting a bit stale, with a few great ones thrown in every once in a while. But we have to remember that back on the old days very few companies would bring their rpgs stateside and those games that did arrive were the best of the best. That all changed with FF7. This days, the market is simply overfilled with rpgs, with 2 or 3 rpgs coming out every month, so its natural that the overall quality of the games will drop
    Evil is actually in my job description

Otaku Electrastar may be famous one day Electrastar may be famous one day Electrastar's Avatar
    Thanks
    You're noticing this now ? I wouldn't say they're getting stale. They're the same way they always have been. Some fighting techniques change from title to title, but the basics of following a storyline and leveling up as always been classic rpg fun. I still like them. An rpg is to me, a game more worth playing. You build your characters and according to what you do, get different items and different routes to travel on. In my opinion, the day RPGs will change is the day they'll stop being popular.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks
    I think there are still countless ideas to create original RPGs with. It's just that there are some main themes that most RPGs have, alot of creators are affraid that their RPG won't be accepted if it doesn't have those themes.

Once in a while you see an fresh-minded RPG like RO pointed out and I can only applaud them for their originality.

Otaku roger_smith may be famous one day roger_smith may be famous one day roger_smith's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yes I agree with Hassun in the fact that if you take the time to make something original and unique you lose other qualities gamers look for. For an example if you focus to much on the plot the gameplay or abbilaties may be lacking or if you focus too much on the new cappabilities of your game you loose something which has become a trademark or a must have for a RPG. And if you were to take the time to make sure everything is perfect it has taken too long and anyone who would have tried your game will probably think twice now.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast