Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Are RPG's getting stale?

AO Helper Word Slider Champion, Penguin Shot Champion, YetiSports 10 - The End Champion, Yetisports 2 - Orca Slap Champion, Yetisports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion Mega may be famous one day Mega may be famous one day Mega's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by superperson
    I think they are cause they're all starting to use the same ideas over and over again, it's like they can't get any new ideas.
    This one knows what he's talking about. Come on, I know it's hard to admit that something you love is getting old, but I know that more people are noticing.

11:11 Delerium may be famous one day Delerium may be famous one day Delerium's Avatar
    Thanks
    RPG's have indeed lost their luster slowly over the past couple years. They just arent the hip trend right now. They'll make another comeback in a couple years. Usually it only takes one really great one to set a genre back on track.

Otaku Mazer may be famous one day Mazer may be famous one day Mazer's Avatar
    right outside of reality, just inside insanity
    Thanks
    i dont think that their getting stale, i just think that, as of now they are lacking originality. drakenguard was a good rpg and final fantasy 1-9, but most of the new ones like sudeki and fable are too short and pretty easy IMO. im just waiting for someone to do something original and badass

Newbie kalmondo may be famous one day kalmondo may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Blasphemer

any way, i think that yes they are verry simaler in engine, but the good ones have original charecters and story lines ( i haven read tehis whole thing btw just a few on the first post)

Otaku erosennin may be famous one day erosennin may be famous one day erosennin's Avatar
    Thanks
    What about pencil and paper rpgs, away from the console? Those never get old, so long as you've got a good person running the game. Best way way to freshen up the role playing spirit is to make your own characters to play in a group. But, then, that might be a little divergent for people glued to their consoles. I'd suggest it, though.

Otaku TallonKarrde23 may be famous one day TallonKarrde23 may be famous one day TallonKarrde23's Avatar
    Thanks
    Note - i only read the first post, so dont read it from the pov that i read everyones posts.

How else would a game be an RPG if it didnt have some kind of fights, some kind of leveling up, and some kind of party system?

If it didnt have all those and other stuff that almost EVERY RPG has, it'd fall under a different category depending on what it had most of.

And in the first post it says "and at the end you save the world and get the girl." ....try playing more games then what... final fantasy and a few others. Oops, in Wild Arms 3 THE MAIN CHARACTER IS A GIRL....so i guess thats void. Thats just one example of many games that feature a female as the main character.

Final fantasy never has innovation. They have been the same over and over. The ONLY thing you can really be original about is HOW the girl gets taken away and WHY the world is in danger and what you have to do to get her back and save the world. Other then that you cant change much.

AO Helper Word Slider Champion, Penguin Shot Champion, YetiSports 10 - The End Champion, Yetisports 2 - Orca Slap Champion, Yetisports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion Mega may be famous one day Mega may be famous one day Mega's Avatar
    Thanks
    You might want to read some other posts. There were some pretty good reasons why the genre is stale. I just think that aside from what makes an RPG an RPG, there should a little something extra that makes the game unique and gives it it's own original flavor. If an RPG has exactly the same elements as another, it becomes just another face in the crowd.

The Antagonist Eriadd may be famous one day Eriadd may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Game RPGs are getting way stale. They are just so repetitive, it's not even funny!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast