Thread: Saikano ending

Fangirl Missing in Action Hikari Sakurai may be famous one day Hikari Sakurai may be famous one day Hikari Sakurai's Avatar
    Thanks

Saikano ending

All right I'm pretty sure lots of you have seen this series, well I just finished watching it the other night *after collecting it DVD by DVD for about 5 months*

I was kind of confussed..... did everyone die, including Chise, and Shuji's the only person alive on the world? The last scenes were so surreal, with the earthquake, the tsunami...
    But despite it all, I was expecting the ending to touch me more than it did. I didn't cry... am I weird? I cried when Akemi and all that died but not the ending as much.

Anyway, what are everyone's throughts on it?
    Still probably one of the most tragic anime I've ever seen.

Leader of the Fangirl Conspiracy

Because teasing boys is so much fun.

[ Minitokyo| Doki Doki | My AO Gallery | Request a Siggy ]
    "Bisshies make Hikari happy"

Otaku nova may be famous one day nova may be famous one day nova's Avatar
    Thanks
    EVERYONE except shuji? died. it's really depressing. talk about THE END. I've talked about this before, but she gave her life someone who she kind of loved, but didn't get to really know all that well. they definitely had their problems and would they really have stayed together if there wasn't a big war going on? i don't know. shuji had a lot of other girls to deal with.

Newbie akineko may be famous one day akineko may be famous one day akineko's Avatar
    Thanks
    in all honesty i believe that shuji is the only survivor on the planet, but there is the possibility of the final scenes being a post death dream.
    either way i thought it was a really poor ending to an otherwise great show.
    it should've ended in episode 10 when chise is returned to the military.
    we could've had an episode or two afterwards depicting shuji's guilt instead, followed by shuji finding forgiveness in the words of chise's diaries he finds in the old watchtower.
    i think it would've fitted in with the storyline better.
    the war was never meant to be the main focus in the story and i feel the creators forgot that towards the end.
    Last edited by akineko; Jan 28, 2005 at 05:11 AM.
    yeah, yeah...

Newbie BBoyPHoeNiX1337 may be famous one day BBoyPHoeNiX1337 may be famous one day BBoyPHoeNiX1337's Avatar
    Thanks
    Actually, I had the feeling that Shuji had just gone insane after the end... Who knew the end of the world would be so.... WHITE... But naw, you're not weird for not crying. I didn't either. I actually laughed when that one dude killed himself just cause the pure randomness of his suicide in that series was funny. Now question, does THAT make ME weird? xP

I'm not sure, but I believe the whole story revolved around a love song that Shuji was constantly singing, in some abstract manner... The Last Love Song of This Little Planet eh? If you think about it, even that title is sortta creepy....
    Last edited by BBoyPHoeNiX1337; Jan 31, 2005 at 02:37 AM.
    ~|*BBoy|*|PHoeNiX*|~
    Unless I grip the sword, I can not protect you. While gripping the sword, I can not embrace you.

Otaku Electrastar may be famous one day Electrastar may be famous one day Electrastar's Avatar
    Thanks
    I just finished collecting the dvds as well and well, I liked the ending. I think that war was one of the main themes of the series as well, it doesn't only revolve around the love story of Chise and Shuji....War is the reason that Chise is a weapon that she has to leave Shuji behind half the time. War is the enemy tearing the lovers appart and sadly, in the end it wins because nothing is left. I think that Shuji is the last person where he lives, not on Earth....and Chise is dead. She gave her live to protect Shuji and even if her physical body is gone, like many lovers, she lives on in his heart.

I cried during the ending, I knew I would be Akemi and Tetsu's deaths touched me much more....Still Saikano is an amazing anime...It really got me thinking about love, life,family and war and I adored it much more that I thought I would.

Otaku nova may be famous one day nova may be famous one day nova's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Electrastar
    I cried during the ending, I knew I would be Akemi and Tetsu's deaths touched me much more....Still Saikano is an amazing anime...It really got me thinking about love, life,family and war and I adored it much more that I thought I would.
    I started crying when the others died too, and I felt really, really sad after the anime. It really hit me. It just seemed as if chise reached one dead end after another, even with love.

Otaku Electrastar may be famous one day Electrastar may be famous one day Electrastar's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nova
    I started crying when the others died too, and I felt really, really sad after the anime. It really hit me. It just seemed as if chise reached one dead end after another, even with love.
    Oh yeah, the ending stayed me for the rest of the day when I first saw it too. It's just too sad, the girl can never get a break...All this melancoly may get on the nerves of some people, but I like it, like the author says, it's a love story and rarely do those kind of stories end with a happy ending....The ending theme Sayonara stayed in my head and I listenend to the Saikano soundtrack a lot after that :P

But what I am wondering, and this may be a little off-topic, but I saw the trailer for a Saikano OAV that will come out in 2005 or 2006 in Japan. I don't think the main protagonist will be Chise. It looks like a woman soldier who's also an ultimate weapon but Chise is shown in the trailer...so it must take place before the end of the anime right?? Does anyone have more information on this because I can't read japanese