Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Saying the pledge?....

Devoted Otaku N.Y._Soulja may be famous one day N.Y._Soulja may be famous one day N.Y._Soulja's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Saying the pledge?....

ok I don't mind saying the pledge but I agree I sometimes feel like I pay more attention to the flag than I do to God, BUT we must all remember that in America there is no OVERALL RELIGION, so tha's why they made the system the way it is
    You should stop talking about your dreams, and start making them.

http://kuv319.tumblr.com/

There is something so human in the desire to never give up, while at the same time, never giving it your all?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KnightofNi
    Also, its one nation under god, there is no comma after one nation; get it ****ing right.
    *someone needs their mouth washed out*

The original pledge was;
    I pledge allegiance to my Flag,
    and to the Republic for which it stands:
    one Nation indivisible,
    With Liberty and Justice for all.
    The "one Nation" and "indivisible" is meant to be the same statement, the same point, so there's no need to get it right. With the comma or without it it means the same thing.
    in·di·vis·i·ble
    adjective
    : consisting of one whole whose parts cannot be divided or treated individually

Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law, © 1996 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

As for burning the flag. That is considered just the opposite of pledging. It's the breaking of any oath or allegiance. That's why there are those who think that people who burn the flag should be deported. Technically anyone who burns a flag has essentially revoked their citizenship.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku Dreadhawk may be famous one day Dreadhawk may be famous one day Dreadhawk's Avatar
    On the battlefield, hiding behind you with a knife...
    Thanks

Very interesting topic, theres the view that you can honor something, but not exactly like it, like 2 enemies, Honor eachother's skills in battle ect. but they ARE enemies.

I present you with:

I understand the point given in the picture.

The whole pledge thing, i don't think it's necessary, because of the problems it may cause some people, and I find it kinda annoying anyway

Otaku PunkAngel7 may be famous one day PunkAngel7 may be famous one day PunkAngel7's Avatar
    Thanks

I know i said first of all that the flag stands for freedom I know that but most americans don't have the freedom as the man says we do Kids don't have freedoms! we can change the world just as much as and adult can! (I label myself as a kid cuz i act like one) so what is the point of saying it when most don't have the freedom
    You wouldn't know a good thing
    if it came up and slit your throat

Newbie fuujin may be famous one day fuujin may be famous one day fuujin's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    *someone needs their mouth washed out*

The original pledge was;
    The "one Nation" and "indivisible" is meant to be the same statement, the same point, so there's no need to get it right. With the comma or without it it means the same thing.

As for burning the flag. That is considered just the opposite of pledging. It's the breaking of any oath or allegiance. That's why there are those who think that people who burn the flag should be deported. Technically anyone who burns a flag has essentially revoked their citizenship.
    First Arrianna I want to thank you for being one of the few voices of reason on this thread and across the board in general.

As for buring the flag, as Americans we have the freedom to disagree with the government. You can say you don't like them, you can lead peaceful demonstrations, protest if you wish. But desecrating the flag? That is near treason in my book. If you dislike the foundations and the principles this country so much to blatenly destroy the symbol then you should seriously consider leaving the country. By burning the flag you are not just disagreeing with the current administration or even what the country is doing in the world. You are disagreeing with everything this country was build upon and all the lives that were lost to create the certian freedoms that you have.

Quote Originally Posted by PunkAngel7
    I know i said first of all that the flag stands for freedom I know that but most americans don't have the freedom as the man says we do Kids don't have freedoms! we can change the world just as much as and adult can! (I label myself as a kid cuz i act like one) so what is the point of saying it when most don't have the freedom
    What freedom are you talking about? First, just saying you don't have freedom doesn't mean anything. You have the freedom to disagree with the government and not be killed. You have the freedom to belive in what ever belief you choose with out persicution of the government. Yeah, you have to pay taxes and you can drive as fast as you want to (I will admit I wish i could do 90 down some side roads). There have to be rules for a society to exist. I shouldn't have to explain why because it is pretty obvious so I won't. This freedom in America doesn't mean absolute freedom, it means our government was set up to provide people to have certian freedoms that were not avaiable before in history. Honestly to think that you can't wear a hat in school that your freedom is being infringed upon is ludicris.

As for kids not having freedoms, yeah your kinda right. Kids don't have the same freedoms as adults do but your role is society is much different too. Your role right now is to learn the skills and knolwdge to become a productive person in the society, where as your parents (hopefully, you never know) are the productive people in society.

Keep up the work Arrianna

Otaku MuMu Champion Shade/K' Heart may be famous one day Shade/K' Heart may be famous one day Shade/K' Heart's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice Fuujin. I really like what you said in general. About the burning the flag thing, I never understood way people did that. The only thing I can think of, and this is an opinion from my knowledge of the subject... the fact that having the flag touch the ground is symbolic of losing or maybe giving up. What I mean is the flag touching the ground means that a battle, or struggle of some kind, has been lost to the enemy. The flag from then on would be seen as "lost". This is an old opinion from the days of war, probably dating back to the earliest of wars in this world. I believe flag banner carrying troops first came around in those times of the early A.D. I remember some movies where if the flagman was killed, and the flag still intact, then another would ride up and take the flag and carry it. This however contradicts what I said about burning it. Then again, I wouldn't know if the flag was burned afterwards or not.

I personally am against burning the flag. I say honor it's use by storing it somewhere. It can be a historic of a trying time, like hurricane Kitrina. What if the flag rode through THAT storm, still holding together somewhat? Why burn that strength? If our counrty would be that strong to survive that, like the flag, then why burn that strength?

Far be it for me to be anything special, when the only special thing I desire with me, is the special person I share my gifts with.

Otaku PunkAngel7 may be famous one day PunkAngel7 may be famous one day PunkAngel7's Avatar
    Thanks

Okay my dad (He's in the military) said that when a flag is dropped on the floor it's a bad thing so it has to be burned and i don't support the government cuz they are sending my dad to Iraq and they know that this can be stopped but they won't let it be stopped! if they were to hear me out then i would change every thing! the soliders would not be risking their lives if I were to be heard but the government said that i should forget it (Yes I have tryed and i have spoke with the gov.) they won't hear me out they are cruel ppl!
    You wouldn't know a good thing
    if it came up and slit your throat

Devoted Otaku Quick Words Champion, Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion, Mah Jongg Garden Champion, Haunted House Champion Cheza may be famous one day Cheza may be famous one day Cheza's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't really say the pledge at school because in my opinion what the pledge is saying is to basically worship the gov't (like it says your pledging alligence...)And HELL NO!!!! I don't worship anything or anybody...
    If they really had a desire to live, they would've been more aware of how easy it is to die.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast