Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Secret Societies?

Otaku Nameless may be famous one day Nameless may be famous one day Nameless's Avatar
    Thanks
    Nah I dont believe that secret societies exist. But it would be cool if there were some.. like tha MIB or etc. Awsome..

Otaku erosennin may be famous one day erosennin may be famous one day erosennin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Wouldn't most of these follow secret government projects and not secret societies? While secret societies could definitely exist and even thrive inside of goverment operation, the operation itself doesn't constitute as a society. These are people that are employed to do a job by the government and the institution itself is kept confidential by that same government.

A secret society is autonomous to the greater society it exists within. Members are not employed but offered acceptance, and more than likely have to contribute financially or some other way to the whole as opposed to working and getting paid for their services. Thus, I think government operations should be excluded as something else entirely.

I do, however, believe that secret societies exist. The big ones aren't even so secret any more, like the masons. I've seen people that have masons bumper stickers. You google search and find free mason lodges, such as http://www.scgrandlodgeafm.org/. I don't believe them to be all that insidious, either. Just kind of a rather exclusive club that just happens to be in a lot of places and might have a little bit of influence.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    most famous secret societies are old though, so who knows what new may be revealed years from now.

Newbie Chik anime_metal may be famous one day Chik anime_metal may be famous one day
    Thanks

Lightbulb hmmmmm

I dunno about that now... Believe what ya want ta..
    ~THE ONE AND ONLY~

METAL CHIK OF ANIME

You cannot destroy what you did not create-Slipknot
    We don't need no education- Pink Floyd[ korn 2]

Otaku frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury's Avatar
    Kansas (no, I do not know what happened to Dorothy and Toto)
    Thanks

yes and no

There are most likely secret societies, but probably are not completely bent on one certain goal, rather control of government or something. In a way, political parties can be considered secret societies in that no one except those in charge know what they are truly trying to do. heh

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Political parties aren't SECRET societies. They're just societies. The informed know or at least have an idea what the government's doing all the time, secret societies and rebels could almost be in the same sentence, except some societies work with a larger power.

To me, secret means, few to no people know about a group's activities or even existence.

Otaku deidre_the_goddess may be famous one day deidre_the_goddess may be famous one day deidre_the_goddess's Avatar
    i came from a place no one has ever gone..
    Thanks
    yah, its a secret thats why few knows it.

Newbie innocent_angel may be famous one day innocent_angel may be famous one day innocent_angel's Avatar
    Thanks
    I believe they have existed, I'm not sure if there is enough so called popularity for such societies to exist anymore. But they were around in the past. Look at the Knights Templar, while not an actual 'society' it was a group of crusading monks, who took a vow of poverty. Of course this vow of poverty did not include the gold, and goods they stole from while they were fighting in the crusades, and it did not include all the religious gifts that they received when they returned home to France. It wasn't until the king of France captured them all and had them tortured and burnt as heretics did the idea that they were a secret cult arise. This is also if I'm not mistaken the time when Friday the 13th was considered to be unlucky, for they were captured on that date.

As mentioned several times the Freemason's is another secret society, but through popularity and media has since lost that secret part.

If you look back though there is evidence in the early part of the twentith century for secret societies, Fraternities are a hold over, as well as some labor unions. One of the now defunct labor unions that started in the 1880s was the Knights of Labor, they were influenced heavily by secret societies.

One thing that might make secret societies secret is the idea that they are doing something that is not necessarily illegal but is in counterpoint to the Government. Today with so much freedom in all areas of society have a 'secret society' when you can just come out and say what your aims are anyway seems pointless..

Enough rambling...

~Innocent_angel
    I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you. I love you not only for what you have made of yourself, but for what you are making of me. I love you for the part of me that you bring out.
    Elizabeth Barrett Browning
    English poet, political thinker, and feminist 1806-1861

Kindness is loving people more than they deserve.
    Joseph Joubert
    French moralist, 1754-1824

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast