Thread: Serial ATA and IDE

Newbie Kamakashi may be famous one day Kamakashi may be famous one day Kamakashi's Avatar
    Thanks

Serial ATA and IDE

Read Everything!

Trying to Dual Boot (triple boot worked then ran into problems)

OK... I have a 160 Gigabyte Serial ATA hard drive and a 80 gig Maxtor IDE hard drive.. Now I want to have 2 operating systems. I want windows xp on the 80 gig hard drive. I also want windows xp on the 160 gig hard drive. Both hard drives are NTSC format.

Me and my dad did this eirlier and had 3 operating systems working.. 2 operating stystems on the 80 gig.. and one on the 160 gig ata. It worked! But then my dad deleted his operating system using Partition Magic. so that I would use the 80 gig. Once he did that my operating system didnt work and the serial ata wouldnt boot to operating system. So I formated the 80 gig and now I have windows xp on it.

Then my dad tried to get the dual boot working. Now we cant even see the Serial ata at all.. I have the silcon image installed. We even unpluged the IDE hard drive to see if we can reinstall windows on the Serial ATA.

Please help.. thanks

あなた& Ectoruss may be famous one day Ectoruss may be famous one day Ectoruss's Avatar
    Qu├ębec, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar system, ... ! >_<
    Thanks
    Gggggggg!!!!!!! really prob here ..... There must be a solution. I am performing a research...

Come in with a awnser soon...
    Coming soon.........

Newbie Melanic may be famous one day Melanic may be famous one day Melanic's Avatar
    Thanks
    If your problem is just finding your SATA HD I could help out, but I have little experience with dual booting. Though I did do it once...accidentally, when I was trying to reformat my HD...

Anyways, asumming your SATA drivers and drive are all installed, you can make windows find your HD by doign the following

Control panel -> administrative tools -> component management -> storage -> disk management

You should be able to see your all your HD's from there, you just need to set it.

Hope that helped a little.

Oh, man... after goign there myself, I just realized I have 4 partitions... only knew of 2.

Otaku maverickvns may be famous one day maverickvns may be famous one day
    Thanks
    once you have windows already installed, you can go into windows setup again and making another fresh install designating where you want windows to be installed, whether it be in another folder, partition, or drive.

just a few questions i wanna ask, are you using sata onboard or is it a card? does the bios identify your sata drive 1st? are you loading the sata drivers before windows starts to install other drivers?

btw, ntsc is a television broadcast standard, not a file storage system.

Newbie Kamakashi may be famous one day Kamakashi may be famous one day Kamakashi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well thanks for helping out.. (yeah I know what ntsc is hehe) ment to say NTFS lol well we are just gonna dual boot on the 80 gig as usual and have the On board Serial ATA as backup. We wanted to dual boot on IDE and ATA... but we will just dual boot on IDE only.

THANKS!!!

Otaku ex-paranoia may be famous one day ex-paranoia may be famous one day ex-paranoia's Avatar
    Thanks
    If your computer isn't detecting the ATA drive, then try disabling/enabling it in the BIOS.
    If it's your Operating System setup that can't detect it, try using a newer version of the Operating System install file. Consider using network install in this method :S

To dual boot it's fairly simple, just install the operating system (fresh) twice. As long as they are on seperate partitions on the physical drive, it shouldn't cause any conflict.