View Poll Results: Should there be a 5-year minimum mandatory sentence for unregistered sex offenders?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea

12 85.71%
  • Nay

2 14.29%
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Sex offenders in the U.S.

Idiot Impaler Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216's Avatar
    Thanks

Sex offenders in the U.S.

Through information provided by the government themselves, there are 100,000 sex offenders that are "missing". Most of which moved to another state and never registered. They openly said that this is 1 out of every 5 sex offenders! This is a very disturbing fact. That leaves there to be 2,000 in every state! To rent a movie at Blockbuster, you must register, show ID, and if you don't return the movie on time there are arguably strict penalties. Why can't we make these "people" register?! Why can't we penalize them?!
    The government is proposing a 5-year minimum mandatory imprisonment for sex offenders that do not register. Other people in the government are actually OPPOSED to this. Saying that registration is OPTIONAL and SHOULD be optional!
    Where does everybody stand on this issue? Is it even possible to say and believe that sex offenders should have the choice to register or not? Do they deserve freedom in ANY way?!
    In the verbal vote, the majority voted AGAINST the 5-year minimum mandatory sentencing. Why would they do this?!
    The Last Remaining Realist.

See Dick Buy Beer, See Dick not Tip, See Dick try again, See Dick Go thirsty. Moral of the Story: Don't be a Dick.

Newbie Catalyst-40 may be famous one day Catalyst-40 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: Sex offenders in the U.S.

They hate children and innocent women, pure and simple.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Now, just to play Devil's Advocate here... Is there any other crime where a person is put on permanent probation for the rest of their lives after serving their prison term??? If it could be shown that a sex offender is caused by a genetic defect, or a incurable mental condition, then yes, that would justify the legal requirement for registering. But without this justification, forcing one group of former criminals to register would be as bad as forcing a member of a religious or political group to register.... And if you want sex offenders to register, why stop there. You might as well have people convicted of murder, drug abuse, scams, frauds, and drunk driving register, as there all a equal threat to the community...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Newbie Catalyst-40 may be famous one day Catalyst-40 may be famous one day
    Thanks

I don't believe the sex offenders "problem" is caused by any genetic defects. Wouldn't they have to pull their heinous stunts before they become adults? And its not like there's anything physiologically eery with them, unless of course they did something to themselves that made them that way. Maybe an incurable mental disorder.

And I think the police and lawmakers will only punish those who molest children and rape women, not those who worship a certain deity or hold a political ideology. There is no basis for the former. And don't the local, state, and federal governments have records of criminal activity (activities) on former lawbreakers?

Idiot Impaler Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Now, just to play Devil's Advocate here... Is there any other crime where a person is put on permanent probation for the rest of their lives after serving their prison term??? If it could be shown that a sex offender is caused by a genetic defect, or a incurable mental condition, then yes, that would justify the legal requirement for registering. But without this justification, forcing one group of former criminals to register would be as bad as forcing a member of a religious or political group to register.... And if you want sex offenders to register, why stop there. You might as well have people convicted of murder, drug abuse, scams, frauds, and drunk driving register, as there all a equal threat to the community...
    Murderers, lifetime parole. Drug traffickers, lifetime parole. D.U.I., after your third time you're sent to jail and your driver's license is GONE, which technically could be considered lifetime parole. The reason for registering a sex offender is to protect the people at risk, as is the reason for murderers having the obligation to report to their parole officer and inform their possible employers of their past conviction. The problem is, the people at risk are their neighbors. The children all around them. Sure, a murderer is a risk to anybody around. Why did they commit murder though? Because their wife cheated on them? Because their drug dealer scammed them? There's a reasoning to any murder.
    Why does someone sell drugs? To make a living the only way they know how. To make more money than they could in our economy. To pay a debt to a higher authority in their life.
    However, why do sex offenders do what they do? There's no reason. One can get laid on their own, there's no reason to rape somebody. Even if they can't get laid on their own, there's the ol' "Be a man, use your hand." routine.
    A philosopher we've all heard of, Socrates, once said that "Nobody chooses evil knowingly. It is a battle of perceived good versus real good. If we know our duty, we will act in terms of it, if we do not know our duty, then we cannot act in terms of it. Thus, we perceive our own goods." This basically means that when we do something, as humans with human minds, we never perceive it to be a bad thing. An example would be, "I killed him for the greater good." or "The world's better off that they're dead." or "I sell drugs to feed my family." So, I ask, what is the perceived good in rape? If it was a good thing then, what's stopping them from thinking it's a good thing now?
    The Devil's Advocate always ends up in the flames.
    Last edited by Agent Orange 216; Sep 14, 2005 at 12:12 PM.

See Dick Buy Beer, See Dick not Tip, See Dick try again, See Dick Go thirsty. Moral of the Story: Don't be a Dick.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Catalyst-40
    And I think the police and lawmakers will only punish those who molest children and rape women, not those who worship a certain deity or hold a political ideology. There is no basis for the former. And don't the local, state, and federal governments have records of criminal activity (activities) on former lawbreakers?
    Ahem, Germany 1930s.... US 1950s with senator Joseph McCarthy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_McCarthy)
    Also state and local authorities do have access to records of PAST criminal activity, but there is guarantee that the records are up to date (as not everyone leaves a forwarding address at the post office...)

Persons who have already served their prison term ARE ALREADY PUNISHED! What is the legal justification to continue punishing them and restricting their freedoms after they have already served the prison term handed down by the courts???
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange 216
    Murderers, lifetime parole. Drug traffickers, lifetime parole. D.U.I., after your third time you're sent to jail and your driver's license is GONE, which technically could be considered lifetime parole. The reason for registering a sex offender is to protect the people at risk, as is the reason for murderers having the obligation to report to their parole officer and inform their possible employers of their past conviction. The problem is, the people at risk are their neighbors. The children all around them. Sure, a murderer is a risk to anybody around. Why did they commit murder though? Because their wife cheated on them? ...
    Now here in the state of California, a drivers license is defined by both the State and the Courts as a privilege and not a right. There access to 'Freedom of Movement' is not limited, as they can still take public transit, or have a friend drive... And murders have to report to parole officers only for the term of their parole, which is finite in length. Criminals who serve the full term of their sentence have no parole period. So why should this be any different for Sex Offenders??? Are Murders so different that their allowed the chance for reform, but Sex Offenders aren't?!?!
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Now here in the state of California, a drivers license is defined by both the State and the Courts as a privilege and not a right. There access to 'Freedom of Movement' is not limited, as they can still take public transit, or have a friend drive... And murders have to report to parole officers only for the term of their parole, which is finite in length. Criminals who serve the full term of their sentence have no parole period. So why should this be any different for Sex Offenders??? Are Murders so different that their allowed the chance for reform, but Sex Offenders aren't?!?!
    I'm sorry it took me a while to edit my last post. Note the perceived good portion I added in to make my point/reasoning more clear, please.
    Last edited by Agent Orange 216; Sep 14, 2005 at 11:55 AM.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

An article from the US Department of Justice.
    Myths and Facts About Sex Offenders

May I suggest that anyone who wants to debate this read it. It may also answer a few of the questions already brought up.

Personally I believe there should be a mandatory registration for a set number of years as part of Parole. That parole should also include continuing phycological evaluations. Once it's over though to require continual registration does fly in the idea of paying one's debt.

At the moment, if registration is voluntary then to carry a mandatory sentence for not comlying with a voluntary registration is absurd. Either make it mandatory and then punish those who don't comply or drop it all together.
    Last edited by Arrianna; Sep 14, 2005 at 12:08 PM.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast