View Poll Results: Should there be a 5-year minimum mandatory sentence for unregistered sex offenders?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea

12 85.71%
  • Nay

2 14.29%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Sex offenders in the U.S.

Idiot Impaler Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Sex offenders in the U.S.

Myth:
    "Most sex offenders reoffend."
    Fact:
    Reconviction data suggest that this is not the case. Further, reoffense rates vary among different types of sex offenders and are related to specific characteristics of the offender and the offense.
    child molesters had a 13% reconviction rate for sexual offenses and a 37% reconviction rate for new, non-sex offenses over a five year period; and
    rapists had a 19% reconviction rate for sexual offenses and a 46% reconviction rate for new, non-sexual offenses over a five year period.

So roughly 1 out of every 7-8 child molesters is RECONVICTED for sexual offenses. I know that's not most, but we're talking about RE-convicted. In that article it blatantly says that "only a fraction" of sex offenders are EVER convicted. Rapists, 1 out of every 5 are RECONVICTED. If only a fraction are ever convicted, and such a large fraction of previous offenders are reconvicted, why should the belief be that they're going to reform?
    The Last Remaining Realist.

See Dick Buy Beer, See Dick not Tip, See Dick try again, See Dick Go thirsty. Moral of the Story: Don't be a Dick.

Otaku PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot's Avatar
    Thanks

child molesters had a 13% reconviction rate for sexual offenses
    rapists had a 19% reconviction rate for sexual offenses

What do we say to the victims of repeat offenders? "We knew your offender was a risk to society, they have prior convictions, but we figured that monitoring them was to much of an inconvenience to them. They wouldn't be able to fit back into society with this stigma hanging over their head."
    Even if we don't know why these people do these things, we know that some repeatedly do them. The government needs to do something to protect its citizens from these people. Here in Idaho we recently had a sex offender who had finished his porole term, found living not even a block from an elementry school. Don't you think that parents should be made aware of these types of things. Would you be more or less likely to let your kids walk home from school, even if it's only a block away? It is unfortunate for some that they are forever labeled as sex offenders, like 18 year olds who have 17 year old girl friends who are convicted of statchatory rape. yeah it sucks big time but their pain protects the kids down the road from the multiple offense child molesters. I mean come on think about this for a minute. What if your kid was molested by your neighbor who just happens to be a sex offender that didn't register. wouldn't you like to know if you've got one living next to you and your wife and kids?
    I know its a lot of "what ifs" and I hate them just as much as the next guy but when it comes to my kids......well just think of the message were sending to these habitual offenders. Its OK we forgive you, go ahead and do it again.

Thinking is the leading cause of death among the stupid.
    Signature and Avatar made by Zackraa. Thanks!

Idiot Impaler Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PsiKnot
    child molesters had a 13% reconviction rate for sexual offenses
    rapists had a 19% reconviction rate for sexual offenses

What do we say to the victims of repeat offenders? "We knew your offender was a risk to society, they have prior convictions, but we figured that monitoring them was to much of an inconvenience to them. They wouldn't be able to fit back into society with this stigma hanging over their head."
    Even if we don't know why these people do these things, we know that some repeatedly do them.
    A valid point. It's not just that they do it again, it's that they can do it again and easily get away with it in a lot of cases. How many times has someone come on TV or the radio or any other form of news and said they were raped/sexually assaulted when they were 10 or so and now they're 28 and speaking out about it. They want something done. So on and so forth. The only way someone gets caught for sexual assault is by the victim coming forward. This is the biggest difference between rape and any other crime. A lot of these "people" know how to manipulate a person into thinking that coming forward with any information will lead to their demise in some way, shape, or form. They can't be driving down the street, get pulled over, get their car searched and be caught. Rape's a whole different ball game.

See Dick Buy Beer, See Dick not Tip, See Dick try again, See Dick Go thirsty. Moral of the Story: Don't be a Dick.

Otaku PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot's Avatar
    Thanks

If forcing them to register saves one child or one woman from something that terrible then it is all worth it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PsiKnot
    If forcing them to register saves one child or one woman from something that terrible then it is all worth it.
    Agreed, in the fullest.

??*Everyone Here Hates Me??* Zackraa may be famous one day Zackraa may be famous one day Zackraa's Avatar
    Thanks

they should be strung up by their testacles
    thats just my feelings on it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zackraa
    they should be strung up by their testacles
    thats just my feelings on it
    It would be the easiest way, if nothing else.

Thanks

I believe that after doing their time all criminals should be able to re-enter society, after all they did their time, but in some cases like sex offenders we need to monitor their progress or lack thereof. Just to prevent any further occurances. I not saying they need to be monitored as a punishment, we don't need to be rude or cruel about it either but it is still something that needs to be done.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast