View Poll Results: Should there be a 5-year minimum mandatory sentence for unregistered sex offenders?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea

12 85.71%
  • Nay

2 14.29%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sex offenders in the U.S.

Idiot Impaler Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Sex offenders in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by PsiKnot
    I know their different, I was attempting to demonstrate that. In the future I won't use sarcasm as a literal device.
    LoL Sorry. That's my fault. Didn't catch the sarcasm.
    The Last Remaining Realist.

See Dick Buy Beer, See Dick not Tip, See Dick try again, See Dick Go thirsty. Moral of the Story: Don't be a Dick.

Otaku PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    In my opinion the problem isn't registration but the fact that these crimes are taken to lightly. Sexual preditors may not actually (sometimes) take a life (or they would be charged with murder as well/instead) but they do destroy them. It is my opinion that as a society we value sex so lightly that people who commit crimes with sex are seen as a nusience more then a threat. If such crimes were held to the standard of manslaughter (just under murder) and had corresponding jail times and paroles then there would be less/no need to discuss registration.
    Regardless of how long they are incarcerated they should still be tracked after release. Some are still a threat to society.
    I actually think that sexual crimes should be treated worse than murder, more like disfigureing or maiming someone. They ruin peoples lives, how long does it take to recover from something like that, if it can be done.
    In some cases murder can be somewhat understood or even justified. Rape or molestation can never be either, under any circumstance.

216: No worries, it's cool.

Thinking is the leading cause of death among the stupid.
    Signature and Avatar made by Zackraa. Thanks!

Idiot Impaler Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216's Avatar
    Thanks

Regardless of how long they are incarcerated they should still be tracked after release. Some are still a threat to society.
    I actually think that sexual crimes should be treated worse than murder, more like disfigureing or maiming someone. They ruin peoples lives, how long does it take to recover from something like that, if it can be done.
    In some cases murder can be somewhat understood or even justified. Rape or molestation can never be either, under any circumstance.
    Exactly. This is one of the main points I've been trying to get across. Glad to see there's agreement, on that point in particular.
    The Last Remaining Realist.

See Dick Buy Beer, See Dick not Tip, See Dick try again, See Dick Go thirsty. Moral of the Story: Don't be a Dick.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

If murder is justified it is considered manslaughter. Personally I consider rape to be on par with murder and that both should have a death sentance for mass/repeat murder/rapists but I'm not holding my breath. I will be content if it is simply raised to the level of manslaughter with a 10-15 year parole (with registration and psycological evaluations) on top of many, many, years of incarceration instead of the slap on the wrist they recieve right now.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot's Avatar
    Thanks

If murder is justified it is considered manslaughter.
    point taken.
    Personally I consider rape to be on par with murder and that both should have a death sentance for mass/repeat murder/rapists but I'm not holding my breath. I will be content if it is simply raised to the level of manslaughter with a 10-15 year parole (with registration and psycological evaluations) on top of many, many, years of incarceration instead of the slap on the wrist they recieve right now.
    At the very least.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Also, keep in mind that not all sex offenders are rapist and child molestors. If you were secretly taking pictures of teen age girls changing in their locker room and get caught and convicted, that would be enough to classify you as a sex offender. (And how many boys in high school have tried to do this???)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Also, keep in mind that not all sex offenders are rapist and child molestors. If you were secretly taking pictures of teen age girls changing in their locker room and get caught and convicted, that would be enough to classify you as a sex offender. (And how many boys in high school have tried to do this???)
    There are huge variences between states on what qualifies as a sexual offense. Voyeurism is not a sexual offense requireing registration in most states. In the end it is all decided by the individual judge or jury. There are many things taken into account ie. Offenders age, victims age, consent, violence, was there threat of bodily harm, a weapon, mental conditions, and reprocusions for the victim like did they develope a mental condition as a result of being photod, assaulted, raped, or druged. But as I said
    It is unfortunate for some that they are forever labeled as sex offenders, like 18 year olds who have 17 year old girl friends who are convicted of statchatory rape. yeah it sucks big time but their pain protects the kids down the road from the multiple offense child molesters.
    The good outweighs the bad. So the peeping tom has to register but then again so does Chester down the street. Besides by the time that your old enough to be convicted as an adult you should know better.

Newbie Catalyst-40 may be famous one day Catalyst-40 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Ahem, Germany 1930s.... US 1950s with senator Joseph McCarthy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_McCarthy)
    Also state and local authorities do have access to records of PAST criminal activity, but there is guarantee that the records are up to date (as not everyone leaves a forwarding address at the post office...)

Persons who have already served their prison term ARE ALREADY PUNISHED! What is the legal justification to continue punishing them and restricting their freedoms after they have already served the prison term handed down by the courts???
    I know I'm late in response, I apologize.

I find it rather absurd that you would compare a group of former SEXUAL PREDATORS to those people who suffered persecution in Germany. The latter obviously never harmed anyone.

And how is having them register an affront to their civil rights? The registry only informs people of these former predators to protect their children and neighbors. Why are you against these people's right to know? Have you not check the reconviction rate? Granted, its 1 out of 5 who commit the same crime after conviction, but the rate in itself is not that informative because it only accounts for those who were actually arrested by police. Who knows what the 4 out of 5 are doing. Honestly, I think you're being naive.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast