View Poll Results: Should there be a 5-year minimum mandatory sentence for unregistered sex offenders?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea

12 85.71%
  • Nay

2 14.29%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sex offenders in the U.S.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Sex offenders in the U.S.

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Catalyst-40
    ... I find it rather absurd that you would compare a group of former SEXUAL PREDATORS to those people who suffered persecution in Germany. The latter obviously never harmed anyone.

And how is having them register an affront to their civil rights? The registry only informs people of these former predators to protect their children and neighbors. Why are you against these people's right to know? Have you not check the reconviction rate? Granted, its 1 out of 5 who commit the same crime after conviction, but the rate in itself is not that informative because it only accounts for those who were actually arrested by police. Who knows what the 4 out of 5 are doing. Honestly, I think you're being naive.
    Now didn't Hitler refer to the Jews as a deviant subhuman race? The issue isn't so much about persecuting Sexual Predetors, it's about the legal precedent that these laws create. Because of the 'Due Process' clause of the US constitution, laws (and their legal precedents) cannot be limited to a single group, but instead, are applied to all groups. Historical precedent shows that these kind of laws have been abused by the powers that be in the past, and now doubt, they will be abused by the powers that be in the future. And once laws have become established, it's very difficult to have them removed. Look how long it took to diable the 'Jim Crow' laws that were established when segregation was outlawed by the Supreme Court. Or that fact that US immigration quotas are still based on the laws passed during the 'Eugenics' movement in the US at the start of the 20th Century...

And as var as recidivism of criminals are concerned, the high reconviction rate isn't limited to sex offenders, it extends to nearly all the felony catagories (rape, murder, armed robbery, assualt, burglary, etc., etc.) So just on 'Due Process' principles, why should registration be applied ONLY to sex offenders??? (And if they should be applied to everyone with a felony conviction... 'Big Brother' is watching...)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Now didn't Hitler refer to the Jews as a deviant subhuman race? The issue isn't so much about persecuting Sexual Predetors
    Yes, but you can't compair Jews to Sexual predetors. Jews are good ppl, Sexual Predetors arent.

I agree with Catalyst-40, we have a right to know.

I believe in you Indiana Jones In Odd-World Champion, Forest_Brat Champion, Jungle Dave Champion, Beer Dude 2 Champion, Fly Girl Champion Pyro Psycho may be famous one day Pyro Psycho may be famous one day Pyro Psycho's Avatar
    Thanks

Its disgusting these people deserve to be locked up forever. Its sad because they know they cant get a lover so they prey on innocent defenseless children.

DeviantArt ll Livejournal ll Rainbow Flakes ll Gallery
    Feeling the beat of my heart ♥

Newbie FrozenAffairs may be famous one day FrozenAffairs may be famous one day FrozenAffairs's Avatar
    Thanks

i CANT stand them the ONLY and i mean ONLY thing worse are those awful animal abusers!! OMG i cant even begin to say how much i hate them, ill just stop now.

of the AMC Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenAffairs
    i CANT stand them the ONLY and i mean ONLY thing worse are those awful animal abusers!! OMG i cant even begin to say how much i hate them, ill just stop now.
    people that abuse animals are worse than people that molest children and women?
    woah...
    Last edited by Innerhell; Sep 17, 2005 at 08:35 PM.
    I love my girlfriend.

Otaku PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot's Avatar
    Thanks

Mr. Miyata, I'll save room and not quote. first paragraph; You make a valid point when talking about legal precedent. However the comparison you made to the persecution/segregation of people based on ethnic group is far out of resonable similarity. This just throws people off, even as an example ( I think thats what you did ). Yes, passing laws that are aimed at one group of people does open a precedent for laws of its kind, but laws based on behavioral patterns may be used as a deturent or punishment. I have to say that I am more concerned with the welfare of our children than I am of the civil liberties of the people that molest them.
    Second paragraph; Due process is basicly ones right to a fair trial and an appeal system for if new evidence becomes available or if the acussed feels they were tried unfairly. Registration is part of the punishment not the trial. Additionally, people who commit other types of crimes where there is a victim that is physicaly/psycologicaly damaged (ie. murder, assault, battery) aren't usually habitual offenders, some are, but most aren't. People who are attracted to having sexual encounters with children or forcibly, need to do this to feel satisfied. Which do you think is more likely to give in to their darker needs the husband who killed the guy peeping on his wife, or the guy who picks up chicks at his local elemantry school?

Frozen Affairs, you seriously should have a look at your priorities.
    Last edited by PsiKnot; Sep 19, 2005 at 09:52 PM.

Thinking is the leading cause of death among the stupid.
    Signature and Avatar made by Zackraa. Thanks!

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PsiKnot
    Second paragraph; Due process is basicly ones right to a fair trial and an appeal system for if new evidence becomes available or if the acussed feels they were tried unfairly. Registration is part of the punishment not the trial. Additionally, people who commit other types of crimes where there is a victim that is physicaly/psycologicaly damaged (ie. murder, assault, battery) aren't usually habitual offenders, some are, but most aren't. People who are attracted to having sexual encounters with children or forcibly, need to do this to feel satisfied. Which do you think is more likely to give in to their darker needs the husband who killed the guy peeping on his wife, or the guy who picks up chicks at his local elemantry school?
    'Due Process' is more then just enforcement of a set of legal rules to be followed by the Courts for trial and conviction. (If that was the case, then why did the Supreme Court rule against the 'Separate but Equal' segregation laws in the 1950s, as the laws spelling out their enforcement were unambiguous and well written...) And because of the 'Due Process' issues, criminal punishment must fit the crime committed, or risk being declared 'Cruel and Unusually Punishment' by the Courts. As for the person who is 'more likely to give in to their darker needs', the habitual drug abuser, who commits acts of armed robbery, and breaking and entering, to support his addiction and drug cravings is much more of a threat to the community. My 'point' still remains valid. If registration is required for sex offenders, why should it be limited ONLY to sex offenders...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot's Avatar
    Thanks

'Due Process' is more then just enforcement of a set of legal rules to be followed by the Courts for trial and conviction. (If that was the case, then why did the Supreme Court rule against the 'Separate but Equal' segregation laws in the 1950s, as the laws spelling out their enforcement were unambiguous and well written...) And because of the 'Due Process' issues, criminal punishment must fit the crime committed, or risk being declared 'Cruel and Unusually Punishment' by the Courts.
    A person's right to due process has nothing to do with punishment laws or Cruel and unusual punishment either.

Due process in the United States
    The Fifth Amendment contains a guarantee of basic due process applicable only to actions of the federal government: "No person shall be... deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law...." The Fourteenth Amendment contains the same phrase, but expressly applied to the States. The Supreme Court has interpreted the two clauses identically, so under the federal Constitution, there is no substantial difference in protection from federal or State action. However, State constitutions also have their own guarantees of due process that may, by their own terms or by the interpretation of that State's judiciary, extend even more protection to individuals than under federal law.
    -wikipedia
    My interpretation is that you cant be punished without a fair trial.

As for the person who is 'more likely to give in to their darker needs', the habitual drug abuser, who commits acts of armed robbery, and breaking and entering, to support his addiction and drug cravings is much more of a threat to the community. My 'point' still remains valid. If registration is required for sex offenders, why should it be limited ONLY to sex offenders...
    I agree in essence with what your saying, if one felon then why not all. However I beleive this is not implemented due to the cost. However to answer your question, the main difference between sex offenders and the habitual drug offender is this: a junkie can go through drug treatment and never do drugs again, I know some do, but the point is that it is a physical addiction that drives their need. Sex offenders for the most part have a psychological problem ie. attracted to toddlers. Much like gay or strait people there is no treatment for the orientation of ones sex drive. We cant take a gay person and put them in rehab for a month and have a strait person afterward. In the same line we cant take the guy who gets off on rapeing women incarcerate him for a few years and expect him to not still be attracted to forceing himself on others. He may be so affraid of the penal system that he will stop this behavior but the attraction is still ever present.

Thinking is the leading cause of death among the stupid.
    Signature and Avatar made by Zackraa. Thanks!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast