View Poll Results: Should there be a 5-year minimum mandatory sentence for unregistered sex offenders?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea

12 85.71%
  • Nay

2 14.29%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Thread: Sex offenders in the U.S.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Sex offenders in the U.S.

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by PsiKnot
    ... I agree in essence with what your saying, if one felon then why not all. However I beleive this is not implemented due to the cost. However to answer your question, the main difference between sex offenders and the habitual drug offender is this: a junkie can go through drug treatment and never do drugs again, I know some do, but the point is that it is a physical addiction that drives their need. Sex offenders for the most part have a psychological problem ie. attracted to toddlers. Much like gay or strait people there is no treatment for the orientation of ones sex drive. We cant take a gay person and put them in rehab for a month and have a strait person afterward. In the same line we cant take the guy who gets off on rapeing women incarcerate him for a few years and expect him to not still be attracted to forceing himself on others. He may be so affraid of the penal system that he will stop this behavior but the attraction is still ever present.
    It's true that attempts (so far..) to change someone's sexual orientation has ended with dismal failures. But sex offenders are still routinely committed to mental institutions in an attempt to 'condition' them to control their sexual urges. (The success rate of this practice is still under considerable debate...) At the same time, I've heard quotes from reformed drug users that the cravings for drugs remains with you for the rest of your life, with only will power preventing the fall to temptation. Just as 'a junkie can go through drug treatment and never do drugs again', a sex offender can go through treatment, and never commit another crime. In both cases, the need for registration boils down to this argument. The need to register a person is an attempt to 'prevent' another criminal act, (even though another criminal act has yet to be committed...) And the issues against is the justification of crime prevention enough to limit someone's personal liberties (which includes community reputation...) and if the registration can be applied to a fair and equitable fashion. (Limiting registration to specific groups, when other groups are worthy of registration brings back visions of the 'Jim Crow' laws. a serious issue when you consider that crime is often associated with economic/ethnic/social class)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot's Avatar
    Thanks

Agreed. and thank you for clearing up the Jim Crow comparison. But we have to draw the line somewhere or next it will be everyone registering not just criminals. I think that the reason the line is drawn where it is is because every politician can get behind legislation that protects women and children specificly.

Thinking is the leading cause of death among the stupid.
    Signature and Avatar made by Zackraa. Thanks!

Otaku Big Money Champion hyuuga13 may be famous one day hyuuga13 may be famous one day hyuuga13's Avatar
    Thanks

My personal opinion is that once a sex offender offends he should not be let out. once an offender always an offender. some of these sex offenders end up killing the people they rape and they only get charged with the rape, not the murder. some of them should go in phyc. wards or just be left in prison/jail till they die. they cannot give back the little girls and boys they kill. nor can they erase the trauma they put on the minds of those young children and teens. sex offenders should not be let out once they are out in.
    Why is everything so ****ing hard for me? Keep me down to what you think I should be! Must you tempt me and provoke the ministry? Keep on trying I'm not dying so easily!

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

To quote the Forum Rules...
    -Do not post on threads that have been inactive for longer than two weeks.
    Closing...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6