Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should Community Service be a requirement to graduate?

Newbie Melkiki may be famous one day Melkiki may be famous one day Melkiki's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation Should Community Service be a requirement to graduate?

My School is trying to make community service a requirement for graduating from my High School!You would start as a Freshman and have to have a certain amount of hours each week, not that i would have to worry MUCH about that because i am a Junior! But still Should that be allowed to generations to come? or should it be their choice?

Domme Kasai may be famous one day Kasai may be famous one day Kasai's Avatar
    Thanks
    It should be required. Today's youth needs to give back to the community. Give them something else to do with their hands.
    Seduced by Flesh

Otaku dark_glaive may be famous one day dark_glaive may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasai
    Today's youth needs to give back to the community.
    I love this. The phrase "give back" implies the community gave something in the first place. My parents paid taxes for me to get through public school, they bought everything for me until I got a job where I could buy things on my own. Shouldn't I therefore logically be giving back to them? Why the community? What did it give me beyond the culture I live in? My mere participation in society contributes to the culture of the community. Therefore, am I not already "giving back"?

Community service shouldn't be a requirement. That isn't knowledge. School is about hardcore knowledge. Not social duty hogwash. What does compelled community service teach anyone? If you want to do community service, go forth. But don't tell me its my "obligation" or "duty" to go out and help people just because I'm in school and am not doing something "productive" in your eyes. Let's let kids have fun while they can damnit.
    Last edited by dark_glaive; Apr 23, 2005 at 11:48 PM.
    Dont make your sig that big again or I'll de-brain you---administration

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by dark_glaive
    I love this. The phrase "give back" implies the community gave something in the first place. My parents paid taxes for me to get through public school, they bought everything for me until I got a job where I could buy things on my own. Shouldn't I therefore logically be giving back to them? Why the community? What did it give me beyond the culture I live in? My mere participation in society contributes to the culture of the community. Therefore, am I not already "giving back"?.
    Its a poor assumption to think that only your parents tax dollars are paying for your education. Depending on the individual state policy, School funding is taken from local property taxes, local community taxes, or the states general fund. (And from your point of view, if I'm a single tax paying worker, why should I be paying taxes to fund your education). So yes, it is the community that is paying for your eduction. The community also provides the roads you drive on, and the police and fire protection to keep your life healty and happy. So yes, you do owe the community at large.

And how does simple participation in society contributes back to the community. If all your doing is being a couch potatoe playing video games, how does the community at large benefit??? Now if you were contributing to after school clubs, tutoring the young and asisting the old, helping to keep to remove litter and graffity to have a clean place to live, then that would be considered contributing. (And Isn't that what Community Service is?)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Materials Master KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think it should be, I do community service every now and then, I am very busy, but as an Engineer though, I feel that I am already doing the community a service. Engineers create and use math and science to design new things for the greater good of humanity, by the mere fact that I am an engineer and dedicated my life to it means that I am doing the community a service.

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

Newbie Doobara_Dimagh may be famous one day Doobara_Dimagh may be famous one day Doobara_Dimagh's Avatar
    Thanks
    It probably should since, in a way, voulantary community service measues morality.
    There is no spoon, Neo.

Otaku Vaines may be famous one day Vaines may be famous one day Vaines's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Its a poor assumption to think that only your parents tax dollars are paying for your education. Depending on the individual state policy, School funding is taken from local property taxes, local community taxes, or the states general fund. (And from your point of view, if I'm a single tax paying worker, why should I be paying taxes to fund your education). So yes, it is the community that is paying for your eduction. The community also provides the roads you drive on, and the police and fire protection to keep your life healty and happy. So yes, you do owe the community at large.
    Well following your logic, I get to this logical point: you are paying as the community for all the other people in the community's education. Therefore you give them back as much as they give you (in terms of money).

I agree with dark_glaive

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks
    hmm... i was helping my community when it flooded.. and it was pretty funn; got to met all kinds of girls in the flood relief.... man that was awesome.
    SO FOR THE SAKE of meeting girls community service is a must.
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast