Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should Community Service be a requirement to graduate?

Otaku dark_glaive may be famous one day dark_glaive may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata

And how does simple participation in society contributes back to the community. If all your doing is being a couch potatoe playing video games, how does the community at large benefit??? Now if you were contributing to after school clubs, tutoring the young and asisting the old, helping to keep to remove litter and graffity to have a clean place to live, then that would be considered contributing. (And Isn't that what Community Service is?)
    I said it contributes to the culture. I DON'T sit around playing video games all day, but assume I did. I'd have to buy the games or rent them. That would show a company I like the game. My small number combined with small numbers of others who bought/rented that game would show the company what kinds of games they should make in order to successfully make money. These news games are in turn added to the culture. Unless you don't buy ANYTHING music, book, game, movie (eg CULTURE) related, you are contributing to the culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Doobara_Dimagh
    It probably should since, in a way, voulantary community service measues morality.

And I don't think community service is some measure of morality for a society. That would imply that we can only be moral if someone else is doing badly. That's really backwards. The most prosperous societies in the world are the ones with the best economies. Economics is based on people's selfish desires to benefit themselves. Yet, despite the fact that we benefit ourselves by working and buying things, this productivity in turns helps everyone else. I'm not against community service, but I'm against compelled community service. Charity, if you have the means, is a personal choice. Charity expected or compelled is a polite word for slavery. If people don't want to do things for free, and they aren't harming anyone, what right does society have to force them? I'm also against believing that helping someone else out of selflessness is some superior moral action that transcends all others. Hard working people out for themselves have done more to make the most people happy and prosperous. Maybe if we taught kids that embracing a field of work they love is a high moral action, instead of only "selfless" acts, things could get even better.

Forced community service in the grand scheme of things is indeed a small issue and I'm being a bit hyperactive about it. However, I find the larger thinking it represents a tad worrisome.
    Last edited by dark_glaive; Apr 24, 2005 at 01:57 PM.
    Dont make your sig that big again or I'll de-brain you---administration

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks
    I haven't read the previous posts because it was too long, so right here Im just gonna throw in my two cents. I know it's a drag to do community service, though I did my 135 hours and definitely had fun with it, compared to my friends who decides to wait till the end of their senior year to worry. Then when the time came they asked a friend who runs a nonprofit event to cheat and write their ass a letter. I certainly don't mind, but helping out is both giving back and learning, widening your eyes. When I helped out at the summer camp I know what today's kids think and what they considered is in, which made me up to date once again.

and the fact is you can say your mom and dad pays tax, because youre not. If youre paying taxes then heck you can call your local legistlator and tell them.

Besides, saying that I pay tax and that's it is like buying tons of games or putting your misbehaving kid in front of a tv to get him to shut up

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Otaku TakuHonji may be famous one day TakuHonji may be famous one day TakuHonji's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well...my high school gives us a choice to do community service. It's not "required" in order to get a diploma but it does help your resume.

Ones life is too short to move like a mortal
    Live by the sword
    Die by the sword
    Stay in the shadows

Untouchable Raven Omega may be famous one day Raven Omega may be famous one day Raven Omega's Avatar
    Thanks
    My school had a senior graduation project in which we had to do 40 hours of community service or a select few extra involved choices. The problem with the community service is that the people who were being forced to do it weren't doing a good job. I know of several people who were kicked out of their community bit because they were doing things wrong, had bad attitudes, or just didn't give a damn.

I think that it's better if they didn't force people to do this, otherwise you'll just get a bunch of half hearted workers who aren't willing to do the assignment. In some cases like what has happened with people at my school, it does way more harm than good and gets the student nowhere and sets the organization back a few steps.

The idea's noble and all, but I had the choice of playing a video game or hanging with my friends or going out to do community service. I of course took the first options and waited until summer vacation of my junior year to get it over with, and took an easy alternative because I can't work with elderly/handicapped people well. It's limiting and a bit of a self esteem buster to some people and I beleive it should not be forced on students.

Otaku sp00g may be famous one day sp00g may be famous one day sp00g's Avatar
    Thanks
    BIG NO!
    VERY BIG NO!
    schools are FORCING kids to do community service and that alone is not a good thing. i do help out more than the hours i need (40 hours) and i personally feel good about it. community service should not be forced because a lot of kids just want to find an easy way out (a service that gives LOTS of hours). i think community service should be a.... an extra thing you can earn. so make it NON-mandatory.

THE KARAKURA LION JET!!! XD

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sp00g
    BIG NO!
    VERY BIG NO!
    schools are FORCING kids to do community service and that alone is not a good thing. i do help out more than the hours i need (40 hours) and i personally feel good about it. community service should not be forced because a lot of kids just want to find an easy way out (a service that gives LOTS of hours). i think community service should be a.... an extra thing you can earn. so make it NON-mandatory.
    you must have had a bad experience with community service sp00g...

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Otaku frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury's Avatar
    Kansas (no, I do not know what happened to Dorothy and Toto)
    Thanks

Myuh

I think that is a great idea for your high school to do!

Doing community service will make colleges look more favorably upon the student. This basically means more colleges will notice you, and also there are more scholarship oportunities!
    En la tierra de los ciegos, el torto es rey.

In the end, Darwin is right. The strongest do survive.
    Hail Malthus!

AO Helper Word Slider Champion, Penguin Shot Champion, YetiSports 10 - The End Champion, Yetisports 2 - Orca Slap Champion, Yetisports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion Mega may be famous one day Mega may be famous one day Mega's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by frozen_mercury
    I think that is a great idea for your high school to do!

Doing community service will make colleges look more favorably upon the student. This basically means more colleges will notice you, and also there are more scholarship oportunities!
    This is not a reason to make it manditory. This is just you saying that it's a good idea to do community service. Any obstruction of freedom, is still an obstruction.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast