Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 37

Thread: Should kids be arrested

  1. #1
    Otaku Lady Sasumi may be famous one day Lady Sasumi may be famous one day Lady Sasumi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    133
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Should kids be arrested

    I don't know if any of you have heard about the 5 year old who was arrested for having a tantrum at school.

    Here is what I read about it.
    A 5-year-old girl was arrested, cuffed and put in back of a police cruiser after an outburst at school where she threw books and boxes, kicked a teacher in the shins, smashed a candy dish, hit an assistant principal in the stomach and drew on the walls.

    The students were counting jelly beans as part of a math exercise at Fairmount Park Elementary School when the little girl began acting silly. That's when her teacher took away her jelly beans, outraging the child.
    Minutes later, the 40-pound girl was in the back of a police cruiser, under arrest for battery. Her hands were bound with plastic ties, her ankles in handcuffs.
    So what do you think? You think the school did the right thing about an out of control child? Or do you think they should have called her mother first instead of cops, seeing as how she is only 5 years old?
    Last edited by Lady Sasumi; May 17, 2005 at 09:29 AM.

  2. #2
    11:11 Delerium may be famous one day Delerium may be famous one day Delerium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Rock Hill, SC
    Posts
    894
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Okay a 5 year old should not be handcuffed and arrested for a tantrum. That's a little overboard. I think kids should be arrested if say a 9 year old shot his friend in the face with a gun or stabbed someone or something then yes, the kid should be arrested, but throwing tantrums is part of being a kid even if they are sometimes violent. Adults shold be able to handle that situation.

    But back on subject, if a kid knowingly commits a crime that an adult would be charged with I think they should be arrested and then sent to juvenile or some other place where they can be punished for their crime up until age 16 when I think they are old enough to be sent to prison. I know not all people are raised the same way but you should know shooting or stabbing someone by age 9 or 10 is wrong.

  3. #3
    Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,259
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 140 Times in 108 Posts
    Yes, they should.

    As a child I had friends who believed they could do whatever they wanted because they couldn't get in trouble. After all they were a minor. Usually their parents told them this. These "friends" of mine were little terrors who gave all of us a bad name and grew up into juvinal delinquents who couldn't understand why they got in trouble, after all they weren't 18 yet.

    Sad very sad.

    On the other hand my friends whose parents were cops were told that if they ever got in trouble they would be picked up the next morning, from jail. Some of their parents even took them on tours of the jail so they could see the company they would keep. I bet you can guess how well behaved they were.

    IMHO having to be picked up from jail won't have hurt the kid at all and just might have taught her a valuable lesson about acceptable behavior, if her parents don't teach her she wasn't at fault because she was a minor.


    PS. How much the school could restrain her is in doubt considering the sue happy society of the US.

    l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

  4. #4
    Otaku roger_smith may be famous one day roger_smith may be famous one day roger_smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Over The Hills And Far Away
    Posts
    136
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It really depends on the crime to me. Like when I was in a psych ward a couple of years ago there was this eight year old who stabbed his grandmother to death or real close I can't quite remember. But appearently both his parents died so they used that as an excuse to keep him out of jail or something like that. But anyways kids like that should be imprisoned for the maximum sentence but when it comes to throwing a temper tantrum just do what they did in the old days. have hold there fingers out flat on the desk and drop a dictionary on them. Or if you dn't want to get sued put them in an empty room with just the walls to keep them company for about 30 minutes to an hour depending on behavior not throw them in the back of a squad car.
    This pain is sratching at my bone.
    And this Loneliness won't leave me alone.

  5. #5
    Otaku Lady Sasumi may be famous one day Lady Sasumi may be famous one day Lady Sasumi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    133
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Yes, they should.

    As a child I had friends who believed they could do whatever they wanted because they couldn't get in trouble. After all they were a minor. Usually their parents told them this. These "friends" of mine were little terrors who gave all of us a bad name and grew up into juvinal delinquents who couldn't understand why they got in trouble, after all they weren't 18 yet.

    Sad very sad.

    On the other hand my friends whose parents were cops were told that if they ever got in trouble they would be picked up the next morning, from jail. Some of their parents even took them on tours of the jail so they could see the company they would keep. I bet you can guess how well behaved they were.

    IMHO having to be picked up from jail won't have hurt the kid at all and just might have taught her a valuable lesson about acceptable behavior, if her parents don't teach her she wasn't at fault because she was a minor.


    PS. How much the school could restrain her is in doubt considering the sue happy society of the US.
    lol Seriously, she is 5 years old, how long do you really think she is going to remember that? Kids, can be sad one moment, then give them an ice cream, and they're happy again.

    The only thing that would change her, is her parents discipline. And her mother doesn't even agree with what the school did, somehow I don't think it's really going to effect the little girl.

    My stance on this, is that they should have called her parents first, seeing as she is only a kid. Also, if the mother were to tied her kid down for having a tantrum, wouldn't that be seen as child abuse?

  6. #6
    Newbie Mortischild_666 may be famous one day Mortischild_666 may be famous one day Mortischild_666's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Okay, I can see it if a little 6 year old murdered their ****ing mother or something. But a tantrum? Even I think that's a little weird.


    Life without light is a life among darkness - Mortischild_666

  7. #7
    Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,259
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 140 Times in 108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Sasumi
    lol Seriously, she is 5 years old, how long do you really think she is going to remember that?
    A very long time if it's tramatic enough. I have several memories from when I was 3-4 yrs old that have always stayed with me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Sasumi
    The only thing that would change her, is her parents discipline. And her mother doesn't even agree with what the school did, somehow I don't think it's really going to effect the little girl.
    Maybe. You just never know. Yes parents can have a large impact at that age but sometimes it is possible to impress on them if you make it dramatic enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Sasumi
    My stance on this, is that they should have called her parents first, seeing as she is only a kid. Also, if the mother were to tied her kid down for having a tantrum, wouldn't that be seen as child abuse?
    Evidently they did call her mother first. The police were only called after they couldn't get ahold of her. And no, they're not pressing charges.

    In a sane world the teacher and principle could have disiplined her. Unfortunatly in the US if an educator become physical even if it's just to restrain a student they open themselves to all kinds of lawsuits. The rule is "hands off". Under the circumstances what else could they do? Yes, it is passing the buck, but until there is some kind of legal protection for educators to discipline the students it's not going to change.

    Incidently her temper tantrum lasted 23 minutes.....and was caught on film.

    l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

  8. #8
    Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    2,172
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 88 Times in 71 Posts
    What I'd like to know is why they let that shit go on for 23 minutes!?! If the kid's acting up, you stop them, and scold the hell out of them, not wait for them to get to the point where you "have to" arrest them. That situation could have been easily subdued by the school, if the stupid kid dumb enough to hit you in the gut, you hit THEM in the gut. Problem solved. Why put the kid in parents through the thoughts that their child has a record at age 5? It's stupid. No common sense if you ask me.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts