Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Should kids be arrested

Otaku Lady Sasumi may be famous one day Lady Sasumi may be famous one day Lady Sasumi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    A very long time if it's tramatic enough. I have several memories from when I was 3-4 yrs old that have always stayed with me.
    Everyone forgets after so long, unless they have been reminded of it.

Evidently they did call her mother first. The police were only called after they couldn't get ahold of her. And no, they're not pressing charges.
    Where did you read that at?

In a sane world the teacher and principle could have disiplined her. Unfortunatly in the US if an educator become physical even if it's just to restrain a student they open themselves to all kinds of lawsuits. The rule is "hands off". Under the circumstances what else could they do? Yes, it is passing the buck, but until there is some kind of legal protection for educators to discipline the students it's not going to change.

Incidently her temper tantrum lasted 23 minutes.....and was caught on film.
    In a sane world, the teacher would have given the kid her jelly beans back to calm her down. So things didn't get out of control. Sad when a bunch of grown ups can't handle a little girl, because they are afraid of a lawsuit. Anything anyone does can end up being a lawsuit these days.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Sasumi
    Everyone forgets after so long, unless they have been reminded of it.
    Really? I'm not exactly young anymore and I still remember.

Where did you read that at?
    A UK news article. A google news search turned it up.

I also found a link there to some of the video. It was pitiful. The teacher was just following this girl around the room telling her that she wasn't behaving and needed to stop over and over again as the girl totally ignored her and just kept looking for things she wasn't supposed to do to get into. There was no control at all and since she couldn't even touch the girl it was all she could do. The girl knew she was in total control of the situation and was taking advantage of it. Pitiful.

In a sane world, the teacher would have given the kid her jelly beans back to calm her down. So things didn't get out of control. Sad when a bunch of grown ups can't handle a little girl, because they are afraid of a lawsuit. Anything anyone does can end up being a lawsuit these days.
    Obviously you don't have children. As a parent I can assure you that giving in like that just garentees it will happen again and worse. Rewarding her behavior would only reinforce a belief that she can do whatever she wants. You're right though, it is sad.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't like it, but I can see why it would be necessary. In my opinion the blame rests with society that we have crippled our educators to such a degree that they are unable to maintain disipline. The lesson has to be learned. If we hadn't tied their hands the school could have taught it without involving the police, instead she got to take a ride to the station. As I said before, based on my friends I don't think it will hurt her to learn where that kind of behavior will get you eventually and it is better she learn it now then when she's 13+ and getting run in for other things.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku Lady Sasumi may be famous one day Lady Sasumi may be famous one day Lady Sasumi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Really? I'm not exactly young anymore and I still remember.
    Thats where the reminded of it part comes in. And if your parents never talked about it and stuff, then maybe your just one of the lucky few with a good memory.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't like it, but I can see why it would be necessary. In my opinion the blame rests with society that we have crippled our educators to such a degree that they are unable to maintain disipline. The lesson has to be learned. If we hadn't tied their hands the school could have taught it without involving the police, instead she got to take a ride to the station. As I said before, based on my friends I don't think it will hurt her to learn where that kind of behavior will get you eventually and it is better she learn it now then when she's 13+ and getting run in for other things.
    Even if educators were given the power to disipline kids, it probably would not have helped here. Obivously the little girl didn't respect or fear her teacher and so she didn't listen.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Even if educators were given the power to disipline kids, it probably would not have helped here. Obivously the little girl didn't respect or fear her teacher and so she didn't listen.
    You may have a point...

So what would you recomend?

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Thanks
    You may have a point...

So what would you recomend?
    Teach kids to have respect? lol I don't know, maybe teachers should add in teaching morals, and stuff like that.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Teach kids to have respect? lol I don't know, maybe teachers should add in teaching morals, and stuff like that.
    Well... Isn't this suppose to be the parents responsibility?!?!. And how are teachers suppose to discipline a child without the cooperation and approval of the child's parents...

One of the problems with education today, is that people think that because kids are a captive audience at school, it's the perfect place to teach them things that there suppose to already know. The problem with this is that teachers now have to deal with so many requirements and needs that there is now no longer enough time to teach the basics such as reading comprehension and basic math skills. People have to realize that schools are not the panacea for all social problems...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Banned ??? may be famous one day ??? may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I hate cops.

- Stupid job.
    - All they know is the law.
    - Work for the gouv.
    - Ther job is to piss off peoples.

It's all teacher's fault. A child wouldn't act that way if you stay calm and polite.
    Last edited by ???; May 18, 2005 at 03:17 PM.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    didn't you read? They did stay calm, it's the kid that was spazzing out, they should of have just acted to subdue rather then go around saying, "now now, be nice." That's the vibe I get as to how they reacted towards the kid's poor behavior. It's mostly their fault I agree, but not for your reasoning.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast