Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Should people who use food stamps pay back the community by doing comummunite service

Otaku ryke12 may be famous one day ryke12 may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by datapimp
    I'm also starting to wonder if any of you have actually KNOWN someone who had to survive on foodstamps. It isn't ****ing pretty, imagine a life of kool-aid and ramen packets along with the 'bargain' meat from Thriftway. You don't just get foodstamps because you ****ing ask for them, you GET them because you prove your income is below a certain number which ENTITLES you to them because the state has already decided that this wage is NOT enough to live on. Jeeze... Driving an SUV and having foodstamps ? Are you ****ing kidding me ? <sigh> Ignorance and stupidity go hand in hand, I guess...
    That's a pretty rough way of putting it, but yeah, I agree with datapimp (I know, I can't say anything about "rough").

And it's pretty interesting to know that most of the people here are supportive of food stamps. Just like to point somehting else out, though. There are TONS of support programs. Why'd this thread have to address Food Stamps exclusively? Why not Welfare as well?

Hell, let's extend the entire thing and talk about Social Security!

Yeah, I went off on a SEVERE limb there. Oh, well. Yeah, I DON'T think that people who have food stamps should have to do community service. It's pretty rude, to think that EVERYONE who gets food stamps would just lie on their a$$ and eat on something with $150 EVERY MONTH. Food stamps DON'T provide for a lot.
    Maybe I'll come up eith a sig soon... until then, be patient.

Newbie yum9 may be famous one day yum9 may be famous one day yum9's Avatar
    Thanks
    The whole idea of food stamps then raises the question of morality and how much you know about a person before you intend to judge them. Where I live homelessness is a problem, I fourtunately am not homeless, but I have seen people that have/are. When I see them I could think one of of two things: A-This person is lazy and just needs to get a job, if they messed up somewhere they should just work harder- or B-The person is doing the best they can in the situation they are in and need all the help they can get-

Now while food stamps are slightly different from homelessness, they are quite the same. I feel that if the person goes hungry at night, someone should feed them, regardless if it comes out of tax money or not. However, rather than just giving out free food they could have employment incentments, I don't have any ideas on how to incent that, but if someone could then it could benefit the situation.

In my religion class, one of the values we are taught is that the fourtunate must always help the less fourtunate, it is a part of the natural order. Food stamps do this while not inconviencing anyone drastically.

Otaku thevampirealacrud may be famous one day thevampirealacrud may be famous one day thevampirealacrud's Avatar
    Thanks
    Foodstamps are just as bad as welfare andbthat is BAD i agree if they cleaned up the towns and did community service it would not be that bad...
    "You have the strength and power to control your own destinies...and that is the greatest gift of all." ~Lucia

Otaku tekem may be famous one day tekem may be famous one day tekem's Avatar
    Thanks
    I don't know where your all from, but i know a hell of alot of people that have been on welfare, some needed it and some knew how to work the system. Just because you receive food stamps doesn't mean you deserve it either. That just means the gov thinks you do, it's all about paperwork, if you know what to fill out and have ways of backing it up you'll get it. I just hate seeing people pay with foodstamps and then go put the groceries in their new Accord or Explorer. THats the only thing I hate about it! If they can make a payment for a new $20,000-30,000 car they can pay for food. I work more than fulltime to support myself and my baby, anyone who really wanted to could!

Otaku ryke12 may be famous one day ryke12 may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tekem
    I don't know where your all from, but i know a hell of alot of people that have been on welfare, some needed it and some knew how to work the system. Just because you receive food stamps doesn't mean you deserve it either. That just means the gov thinks you do, it's all about paperwork, if you know what to fill out and have ways of backing it up you'll get it. I just hate seeing people pay with foodstamps and then go put the groceries in their new Accord or Explorer. THats the only thing I hate about it! If they can make a payment for a new $20,000-30,000 car they can pay for food. I work more than fulltime to support myself and my baby, anyone who really wanted to could!
    And that's EXACTLY the problem some people have!

Not many people are fortunate enough to have enough money to start on a new job, because no entry-level job will earn you enough for a living, ESPECIALLY if you have kids.

It's nice that YOU have one other person to care for, but many people on food stamps are single parents who frequently have to pay for school for their kids, have to pay for FOOD for their kids, etc.

So are you for or are you against community service from Food Stamp people? Just in general, not just applying to the "liars". If you are for, then consider this: how can someone work fulltime, and have enough time to take care of themself (no one would hire a dead-beat bum), AND do community service?

Now for the other point that I wanted to bring up: I don't know about all of you who want food stamp people to do community service, but I CAN assume that some of you consider it a way to humble the food stamp people. To those who think that the food stamp people should do community service so you can look down on them, I am ashamed of you. I can guarantee that at least a few of you think (maybe on a subconscious level) "haha, let's make the little b*tches pick up MY trash. I mean, she IS sucking all of $150 from my taxes, even though I pay more than $250 EVERY MONTH on MYSELF."

For shame.
    Maybe I'll come up eith a sig soon... until then, be patient.

Otaku tekem may be famous one day tekem may be famous one day tekem's Avatar
    Thanks
    I myself am against the whole comm. svc idea, i think its stupid to have people who can barely make a living degrade themselves. I think they need to rethink the whole notion of free food, really inspect those who get them and really try and help get them a real job or go back to school, not just accept that they say they are looking for a job or they're about to enroll in school. And do any of you come from a family that once got assistance. I did which helped push me to work harder so I wouldn't have to go through it myself.
    P.S. if it sounds like I'm condesending,
    I'M NOT!

ruler of mune667 deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667's Avatar
    Thanks
    well like i siad the big issue does the best job imho, though here's a point, we give out wellfare and food stamps, but there's still debt owed by the third world, it's not like they can afford it, so we act like we're helping them by giving them some money occasionally, but we keep them under our power with debt.
    i am the urban monky
    look to the mune

Otaku trustworthy may be famous one day trustworthy may be famous one day trustworthy's Avatar
    Thanks
    You know what I am totally against the idea of making them do community service to what was it, pay off the food they get. I personally have never had to get food stamps, and I thank my lucky stars for that. I thank the fact that my dad was lucky enough to get and keep a job, and that my mom too has had such luck, so that we are able to stay in a moderate lifestyle. Here is my look on the people who collect food stamps. My new cousin in-law and her children lived in a trailer park, and collected food stamps, and I believe that is good that she was able too, because they needed it.

You want to talk about people who get food stamps and don’t need it, they are morons, taking a good thing and ruining it.

My best friend, she also is eligible for food stamps, but here is the thing, she and her sister, and mom and dad do need them, but her mom works so hard, that she would feel so demeaned by accepting them, so she doesn’t. They need them, and are able to get them, but she doesn’t take them. That is a good person, and because of people like her, and my cousin in-law, I definitely believe that food stamps are good. My friend doesn’t even have any life insurance.

Now you are saying that they should do community service to pay for the food, I say that is a crock of bull, they do everything they can to support there families before even excepting the food stamps, and you want to demean them for finally giving up and excepting some help. Well shame on you, and your pessimistic a**.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast