Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Should schools teach religion?

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation Should schools teach religion?

Many people want schools to teach religion because they think that would be better for our society.

Do you think that this is a good idea?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yes I do.

Tolerance only comes with understanding. If schools actually taught about all the different religious (including atheist and agnostic) beliefs then we would understand each other better. Then there is the fact that it is almost impossible to teach history without including religion. If you want to understand why our ancestors did what they did then you also have to understand what they believed. I live in a state settled by a religous group fleeing persecusion, rape, and murder by the hands of their enemies. You tell me how they are going to teach about the origins of the state without mentioning religion?

Do I think it is going to happen though? No. There are to many people who are opposed to the very mention of religion in public for it to happen without some fundimental changes in our society. A great pity in my opinion.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku erosennin may be famous one day erosennin may be famous one day erosennin's Avatar
    Thanks
    I went to a private, christian school right up to highschool, and public school after that. Here's what I think. I believe private institutions are incapable of giving an unbiased opinion and anything that is not included in their own beliefs, and not even those that are. Further still, I believe public institutions on an elementery and highschool level of being entirely inadequate to educate on the subject of religion as there is no way teachers will be objective in context to their own beliefs. A prime example of this would be my middle school science teacher, who would not under any circumstances discuss evolution whatsoever, despite that it was in our curriculum and we wanted to learn. To include religious study in public schools, you put a lot of faith in the professionalism of the teachers. I, personally, don't have that faith.

Religion isn't taught in public schools for several reasons. One of them being the necessary objectivity. Another being that you will leave someone out. I very much doubt religions like Atreyu would be included, which leaves room for liability. How about Satanism? That deserves equal representation too, right? Objective study of religion in public schools is not possible, because the moment a mormon parent hears about their child learning about satanism (and trust me, it would happen) or an Muslim parent hears about their child being indoctrinated on christianity, there would be hell to pay, and that is something the american public schools system cannot afford. Tolerance has to first be taught at home, with the family, where these prejudices start before we can move on to the school system.

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Do I think it is going to happen though? No. There are to many people who are opposed to the very mention of religion in public for it to happen without some fundimental changes in our society. A great pity in my opinion.
    True. I think this could really expand the minds of todays youth and inform them on deep and meaningful topics and traditions. If the teachers sent home some sort of permission slip or somthing of the like to clarify what will be taught....i think it would be possible. But as Arianna said, Religion being such a touchy subject among people it'll more than likely never happen.

Otaku frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury's Avatar
    Kansas (no, I do not know what happened to Dorothy and Toto)
    Thanks

Myuh

I think that the only schools that should should be private schools. This is because there are sooo many different religions in schools, and by teaching one, or even all for that matter, someone will be defended, for instance the athiests. There is a reason that there is a separation of church and state, and this is to make America as free to as many as possible.
    En la tierra de los ciegos, el torto es rey.

In the end, Darwin is right. The strongest do survive.
    Hail Malthus!

Otaku kenshi2885 may be famous one day kenshi2885 may be famous one day kenshi2885's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ketaro
    Many people want schools to teach religion because they think that would be better for our society.

Do you think that this is a good idea?
    Well that happen 13th-ago on my school and that was, when i was little it work i think but this YR-2005 I don't know

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    I agree with erosennin on this one, I think some teachers wouldn't be able to teach without taking some of the comments to a personal level. Religion in my opinion is personal, and teaching is one thing, but preaching's another. I totally respect getting to know the perspective of other religions, it fasinates me really, but to teach it in a country that demands religious freedom doesn't seem like a good idea.

It's a seems like a good idea, but probably won't work the way it was wanted in a real life situation. Sad but probably true.

Newbie Pyro Mike may be famous one day Pyro Mike may be famous one day Pyro Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Sure they can teach all the religion they want. But it must be optional. If it was forced upon people, why, that would be just wrong.
    "My balls. To do with as I please."

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast