Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Should schools teach religion?

Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    In my imagination restricted by British Society!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ketaro
    Many people want schools to teach religion because they think that would be better for our society.

Do you think that this is a good idea?

I think it is a good idea as long it has the same period of time for each religion rather than focusing on Christianity. Don't get me wrong, I am a christaina but i think that it would have been nice to learn more about other religions.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

As Seen on Internet KenX may be famous one day KenX may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Bad Idea. With the variety of different cultures we have in the US, and something Called freedom of Religion, it would jsut be a bad Idea. Focusing on all the different religions would just seperate a school, instead of unifying it.
    Last edited by KenX; May 13, 2005 at 07:03 PM.

Otaku Wrath may be famous one day Wrath may be famous one day Wrath's Avatar
    Thanks
    Never!! Religion in school is horrible..Its just not right, I mean in schools there are so many different religions, It wouldnt be fair to just say were going to practice just this religion and no others. It can sometimes be hurtful. When people of different nationalities have to listen to some blabing on and on about someone named god. I am not christian. I live in Japan, and am a proud Budhist. but the only way for reeligion to ever EVER be able to be in schools is if the schools practiced every religion known to man!!!!!.....then that would be fair.
    -Maximum dimensions for signatures is 110(height)x450(width), maximum file size is 150kb. ONE IMAGE ONLY!

ruler of mune667 deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath
    Never!! Religion in school is horrible..Its just not right, I mean in schools there are so many different religions, It wouldnt be fair to just say were going to practice just this religion and no others. It can sometimes be hurtful. When people of different nationalities have to listen to some blabing on and on about someone named god. I am not christian. I live in Japan, and am a proud Budhist. but the only way for reeligion to ever EVER be able to be in schools is if the schools practiced every religion known to man!!!!!.....then that would be fair.
    i'm right with you, i think that schools should teach religion but only if its all of them.
    i am the urban monky
    look to the mune

Newbie Jeska may be famous one day Jeska may be famous one day Jeska's Avatar
    Thanks
    I agree that they shouldn't teach it. But, I think that people go way to far trying to keep it out. It doesnt need to be in the curriculum but if it comes up students should be able to discuss it without the teacher having to worry about his/her job.

Newbie yum9 may be famous one day yum9 may be famous one day yum9's Avatar
    Thanks
    I go to a Catholic school, so yeah, religions are in some schools. We learn about other religion if we choose to take the specific course in our senior years, but the focus is always on Catholicism. I personally find it good that religion are not in public schools, it creates division, division most people seek to get rid of when they go to a public school.

Otaku ryke12 may be famous one day ryke12 may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by youth_anime_fan
    Example: Hitler's Germany. Who in gods name would actually believe that crap the man spewed, but they did. How? because they grew up with the idea all their lives, and they didn't hear anything else.
    That example doesn't make a lot of sense when you actually look into the issue. First, Hitler originally rose to power with his little group of Brownshirts (I think) by being decidedly Anti-Communism, and considering the state of Germany after WWI (huge division between classes), Communism didn't garner much support, so Nazi got all the new political power. I'm gonna assume you use that as an example of Anti-Jew, which is really only a "partial" truth. Hitler just targeted any non-"Aryan", that is, anyone who wasn't perfect in his mental image (remember, he himself was practically the OPPOSITE of his "perfect man")

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Actually all they would have to do is put it back in the History classes where it belongs.

I have a unique perspective on this since I had a History teacher in High School who actually taught us about both the Torah and the Quran at the risk of his job. He probably would have lost it too if he hadn't also been a football coach. Out of the 40 kids in my class none of us were Jewish or Muslim but 70-80% of us got A's on the tests for those chapters. We learned something and it didn't hurt us one bit. Call me strange but I believe that that is what school is supposed to be for, teaching and learning.
    Yeah, that's what just happened to me, too. Ahh, just finished World HIstory, where my teacher INSISTED on teaching us about the three major religions, etc. Which is why I can speak with some degree of authority on these issues.

And yes, I do believe teaching the religions in school is something of a ridiculous idea, for me at least, because the main three (Judaism, Muslim, Christianity) are already in the World History curriculum (in Georgia at least).

So a separate class is pointless, and I wholeheartedly agree with Arrianna.
    Maybe I'll come up eith a sig soon... until then, be patient.

Otaku thevampirealacrud may be famous one day thevampirealacrud may be famous one day thevampirealacrud's Avatar
    Thanks
    no schools do not need to have religion invovled, school is a privilage, it is for learning not for sing "all the little children" over the loud speaker, religion in school is a waste of time, a lare waste of time.
    "You have the strength and power to control your own destinies...and that is the greatest gift of all." ~Lucia

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 ... LastLast