Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Should We Give The Homeless A Dime?

Otaku Ted Turtle may be famous one day Ted Turtle may be famous one day Ted Turtle's Avatar
    Thanks

Lightbulb Should We Give The Homeless A Dime?

I was thinking about the people on the street that are asking for our money. Sometimes they are the real deal and sometimes they aren't and just trying to make a quick buck. I was wondering do you guys give out your money to someone on the corner begging for your money? I personally stopped after I gave to someone who was faking being poor and instead donate money to charity.

Read Magical Detective Daisuke. Part 9 is finally out! Click here to read it! For the complete collection of Magical Detective Daisuke click here.

ROCK N ROLL mamimi_rue may be famous one day mamimi_rue may be famous one day mamimi_rue's Avatar
    Upon a mound.. somewheres around ..here ?
    Thanks
    Well, the whole purpose of giving is worth it in general. I feel better if I share than if I hadn't. If I really see someone in need, and I can tell they're not a fake, (and in this town, there's tons of homeless people, and I can tell usually) then I will give them half of my wallet. I've seen some people who I know don't have a home, and the make a lot on the street. I'm saying, I have a home, food, and everything and more that I don't deserve. I give whenever I can. Even if it goes to the homeless buying booze or something useless, it still would make their day if they collected enough, right ?
    Once, about a month 1/2 ago, I was sitting downtown, with my boyfriend, waiting for a ride from my mom, and a man comes up, and we start talking about random stuff, but by the end of it, he had thought I was in need. I guess you could say he was a little drunk, but he was sincere about it, and handed me a $20 bill out of the blue. I guess he had thought I was quite nice. . .or something. It just felt like I had redemed what I have given to many homeless people.
    It's one thing to be a begger, but I feel like it was fate for them, and influenced by the wrong decisions. I think it's better to give then just to ignore and think that it's all a scam, I really wouldn't care anyway, I ask for money sometimes too, like if I don't have enough for the bus or a drink... anyway, that's how I feel, hopefully it's not too confusing @_@;;
    much love to socketto
    ...what of this mongrel architect, our broken armor soon will set, past, present, and future tense...

Otaku Phoenix of Love may be famous one day Phoenix of Love may be famous one day Phoenix of Love's Avatar
    Thanks
    I look to think of the homeless as people who can give you good karma I know that one might buy beer but there are the ones who will buy food

Bad men live to eat and drink good men eat and drink to live
    Tom: Maybe we are a supreme being who was having self identity problems.
    Luis: Find yourself a women who loves video games as much as you do and you'll have have problems.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    No. You shouldn't give the homeless money. I'm not saying that to be cold it's what the experts will tell you. The permenantly homeless (not just between jobs) are there for a reason. Either alcohol, drugs, or mental instability. None of those are conductive to your money being used wisely. If you want to help you should buy them food or hygene products. In the winter a blanket, coat, or shoes are always useful. There is no reason you can't give, it just shouldn't be cash.

As for charities, make sure you give to one where your money will go to the people intended instead of someone's pocket. Local shelters are good and take money and goods.
    Last edited by Arrianna; Feb 23, 2005 at 06:37 PM.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku dark_glaive may be famous one day dark_glaive may be famous one day
    Thanks
    You're under no moral obligation to give the homeless anything. I'm sure all of us actually know someone who needs some money. If you feel the need to be charitable, give it to them instead. You then know that the money is going to the right place at least.
    Dont make your sig that big again or I'll de-brain you---administration

Otaku Dragor may be famous one day Dragor may be famous one day Dragor's Avatar
    Thanks
    They're that way for a reason so you probably shouldn't give them money; however there are those who wound up that way for reasons beyond their control.

Basically there's no real reason to give money to those begging, but I gues if you do give them a bit here and there it would be a good thing to do, just if you can be aware of the person you're giving it to. I mean just look for obvious signs that they might be a con artist, or that they're only going to use your money for their next high.
    Dreams come true, but nightmares do too.

Life isn't a game, it's just a referal to the time you exist on this playground called Earth.

Newbie BlueTigerFour may be famous one day BlueTigerFour may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    No. You shouldn't give the homeless money. I'm not saying that to be cold it's what the experts will tell you. The permenantly homeless (not just between jobs) are there for a reason. Either alcohol, drugs, or mental instability.
    And this makes it right to ignore them? Bad things happen to people, and it's not easy for them to get a job because they're homeless. And they can't afford somewhere to live unless they have a job. have a little bit of human compassion. If a guy on the street needs some money to take the bus, why not? coffee and a bagel? sure. alcohol? heck this man doesn't think he has anything to live for because people like you think he's trash. human garbage. Not worth the $5 you refuse to give him. come on.

I give a few bucks every time i'm asked for it. Later maybe i won't be able to buy a bag of chips to go with my lunch, but big deal. I can live without it.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    No. You shouldn't give the homeless money. I'm not saying that to be cold it's what the experts will tell you. The permenantly homeless (not just between jobs) are there for a reason. Either alcohol, drugs, or mental instability. None of those are conductive to your money being used wisely. If you want to help you should buy them food or hygene products. In the winter a blanket, coat, or shoes are always useful. There is no reason you can't give, it just shouldn't be cash.
    I never said to ignore them, just be wise in how you help them. Buy him the bus ticket or the food. Alcohol though, no. Giving someone more of what is ruining their life is not helping.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast